2013 4K Harman Kardon AVR 2700 & 3700 receivers - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
post #991 of 1000 Old 09-14-2016, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by papatoony2 View Post
Question: What's the difference between Logic 7 Movie and Dolby PL II? My AVR 1700 plays almost all sources in Logic 7 Movie mode (I don't think I've EVER seen it decode anything in DPLII) while the AVR 2700 played those exact same sources using DPLII (and I couldn't even figure out how to get it to switch to Logic 7 Movie). I'm assuming Logic 7 is better? Why would the two nearly identical receivers choose different modes when fed the exact same sources? And is there a way to get the 2700 to switch to Logic 7 Movie? I don't see it as an option. Very strange.

I returned my defective 2700 to Newegg & am waiting on a replacement, but if my 1700 is playing sources better than the 2700 can, then I think I'll just give up on the 2700 altogether. Any input is appreciated. God knows I won't get any help from HK directly (I take back what I said before about them having good customer service--I now see what y'all were talking about. Useless.)
For the 1700/2700/3700 Logic 7 is only available if the input source is a stereo analog or digital PCM, higher-end stepup HK AVRs used TI DSPs which had enough resources to do Logic 7 for any incoming digital stream including 7.1 DTS Matser Audio. Logic 7 was developed by Lexicon (part of Harman Luxury) and Dr.Greisinger, I still use a HK 7550HD in 1 of my HT theater systems and it is truly incredible. Also Logic 7 was ported over and used in certain HK OE automotive applications for Toyota/Lexus.

Just my $0.02..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1000 Old 09-15-2016, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. As my current 1700 seems to have quit playing all audio outside of the subwoofer I'm looking into other options. By the sounds of things a lot of people are also not have with it's bigger brother, the 2700. Any feedback or things I should look out for as I start looking into a replacement unit?
post #993 of 1000 Old 09-15-2016, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a question, I own a Samsung 4K TV JS8500 and I have a Bose Surround Sound System with 2 front speakers, 2 back speakers, a speaker directly under TV and a Subwoofer. I have an old ONKYO TX NR525 receiver. I plug all my speaker wires into that receiver and have an HDMI cable from the receiver to my Samsunng One Connect Box. I also have an HDMI cable going from my Cable Box to my Samsung One Connect Box. I always see people saying that you need a certain receiver with 2.2 or something to let the 4K passthrough. Do I need to get a new 4K receiver even though I am able to get a picture on my TV and be able to hear the surround sound still via my surround sound system. It allows me to play Surround sound through PCM or DTS: Neo 2.5 on my TV. Thanks
post #994 of 1000 Old 09-15-2016, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLowEK View Post
Hi everyone. As my current 1700 seems to have quit playing all audio outside of the subwoofer I'm looking into other options. By the sounds of things a lot of people are also not have with it's bigger brother, the 2700. Any feedback or things I should look out for as I start looking into a replacement unit?
Well, HK has the 2700 refurbished for 200 shipped. I'm hoping since it's a refurbished model whatever normally happens to them will have already been fixed and serve me well for a few years.

I'm many pages back so far in this thread and still reading. If anyone has any guidance, information, or known issues with the 2700 please share! I guess I'll still take my 1700 in for a diagnosis. Perhaps it will be a cheap capacitor or something? Sure is going to be tough to go weeks without my AVR.
post #995 of 1000 Old 09-22-2016, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well I'm probably talking into a void at this point, but I got my replacement AVR2700 yesterday and all of my issues with my last unit are fixed except for one: When I feed my PS4 through the AVR (which I have to do in order to get PCM), it degrades the picture/color for some unknown reason causing annoying gradients to appear in the sky every time I move the camera. This does not occur when I hook it directly to the TV or through my AVR1700, so I can't figure out why the 2700 is doing this. I made a short video of the problem if anyone could look at it & give me any insight (make sure you watch it in full-screen and in 720p so that the issue is apparent):

I've played with every setting in the AVR, PS4 and TV and cannot get it to go away. Could this be some sort of HDMI cable issue? I'm really at a loss and hate to return yet another receiver to Newegg, especially when this one is so close to being a working unit. I just need to get this one issue ironed out and I'm good.
post #996 of 1000 Old 09-22-2016, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Have you tried another input and cable?
post #997 of 1000 Old 09-22-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post
Have you tried another input and cable?
I tried a couple different inputs, but I don't have any other cables. These are the same cables that carry the signal flawlessly from the PS4 to the TV directly though, and also have no such problem when hooked to my AVR1700. Does the 2700 have different video processing than the 1700 or something?
post #998 of 1000 Old 09-22-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
For the 1700/2700/3700 Logic 7 is only available if the input source is a stereo analog or digital PCM, higher-end stepup HK AVRs used TI DSPs which had enough resources to do Logic 7 for any incoming digital stream including 7.1 DTS Matser Audio. Logic 7 was developed by Lexicon (part of Harman Luxury) and Dr.Greisinger, I still use a HK 7550HD in 1 of my HT theater systems and it is truly incredible. Also Logic 7 was ported over and used in certain HK OE automotive applications for Toyota/Lexus.
Thanks for the info. I'm still confused though why the 1700 is able to play certain sources using Logic 7, and then when I play those exact same sources though the 2700 I get PLII instead. I can't even get the 2700 to play music using Logic 7 Music--it's constantly reverting back to Logic 7 Movie for some reason. And like I said, I don't think I've EVER seen my 1700 use PLII.
post #999 of 1000 Old 09-22-2016, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by papatoony2 View Post
I tried a couple different inputs, but I don't have any other cables. These are the same cables that carry the signal flawlessly from the PS4 to the TV directly though, and also have no such problem when hooked to my AVR1700. Does the 2700 have different video processing than the 1700 or something?

I don't know about processing differences, I have found different devices behave differently with cables. HDMI is an odd duck.

Do you have another device connected via HDMI? can you swap cables?

Whenever I have issues and HDMI is involved, I switch cables first. Alternatively you can try changing the boot order & pull/reinsert the cable to force a new handshake.

Anthem MRX 720, ELAC F&C5, Klipsch R-2650 Sony XBR 75X910C, Samsung UBD-K8500, Oppo BDP-93, Elemental Designs A3 250
post #1000 of 1000 Unread 09-23-2016, 07:42 PM

Well my second AVR 2700 is on its way back to Newegg now. Last night the front panel display & volume light began flashing on and off every 10 seconds or so for no apparent reason. Talk about annoying. The only way I could get it to stop was to unplug it, and then it wouldn't restart using the remote nor the power button on the unit. What a POS. Another totally bizarre thing: The AVR would react and even switch inputs whenever I'd press the 'PS' button on my PS4 controller. WTF? I'm done trying to figure out this mess. What an epic waste of my time.

Here's some footage of last night's issue:

Last edited by papatoony2; 09-24-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 2700 7 1 Channel Av Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 3700 7 2 Channel Av Receiver