I hate remotes: Looking for Receiver with auto on/off based on active TOSlink input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK I know that remotes are necessary (especially for TV watching, but I want to play audio via Airplay (PC or IPhone). The receiver doesn't need to have built in airplay as I can use an AppleTV to supply it audio thru TOSLink (prefered) or R/L RCA. Tried google searching, nothing to be found, I was surprised.

Thanks,
Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 409
How about a universal remote like one from Harmony? It makes using a multiple component system with different functions very easy to operate.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for response, I have a harmony, just don't carry it around with me.

Turning on I tunes and airplay is easy, phone is with me or I know where is, don't want to get a remote for all in house. I remember when audio equipment and TV's didn't have remotes. Thats gonna happen again, I guess the question is just when.

Is there a receiver that turns on with an active audio input?

thanks in advance,
Marty
post #4 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsMarty View Post

Thanks for response, I have a harmony, just don't carry it around with me.
Turning on I tunes and airplay is easy, phone is with me or I know where is, don't want to get a remote for all in house. I remember when audio equipment and TV's didn't have remotes. Thats gonna happen again, I guess the question is just when.
Is there a receiver that turns on with an active audio input?
thanks in advance,
Marty

I understand your point but what about simple functions such as volume control and track changes? I remember when devices didn't have remotes as well. At that time you had to manually push the buttons for on/off, volume control and channel changes on ones TV. I much prefer the present even if it means if I have to carry my 688 around smile.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
No such beast.

Just buy a Denon (or similar) receiver. They have iOS remote apps available, so you can use your iOS device to turn the receiver on/off, and select the input for Airplay. Then you'll have volume control, zone control, etc.
post #6 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Bill,

Stereo system in kitchen works directly from my phone I can adjust Volume and select tracks (songs), no need to turn on system and it doesn't even require an APP which is great. I plan to setup second system outside which will work from my phone also, the amp and airplay device will be inside, I just have to run stereo lines to speakers.

Also Planning for my TV's system, I preceive AV receiver makers are loosing their mojo (slow to invent) , but I'm researching the topic hoping I'm wrong.

regards,
Marty
post #7 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Sam,

Thanks, yes I understand the APP availibilty, its the fallback plan, but I prefer directly doing it with Airplay, not using an APP. I can do this with my stereo system (no video option) in the kitchen it works flawlessly.

regards,
Marty
post #8 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sam,
Thanks, yes I understand the APP availibilty, its the fallback plan, but I prefer directly doing it with Airplay, not using an APP. I can do this with my stereo system (no video option) in the kitchen it works flawlessly.
regards,
Marty

Well what you're looking for doesn't exist.... it's just a single extra 2 steps to use an app to turn on the AVR, then start using AppleTV via iOS Remote app. I do this all the time and it is very intuitive and convenient. The whole process takes 7 seconds, max.
post #9 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Sam,

Yes, in most cases I can get to the on off button in one room in less than 7 seconds too. For TV viewing the remote is less of an issue cause I'm right there to watch.

Audio is more complex, sometimes on the weekend I'd like to have it running in 3 locations (4 in the summer) The problem is family room with TV cause system it will share audio and TV. In airplay i will be able to get this going fast, except TV room unless feature is offered soon. Then it will be an app, it will be the ugly duckling of the total system.

thanks for input,
Marty
post #10 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Just leave the receiver always turned on.
post #11 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

If left on, do any receivers autosense an input line and activate that input to the speakers?

Otherwise its still the same problem which is 1)get the remote, 2) walk over to receiver or 3)use an APP ( best of those three choices).

regards,
Marty
post #12 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

No, of course not. How would a receiver know which active input you want to use? There's a good chance that your Apple TV's optical digital output is always active. Would you want your receiver to always switch back to the Apple TV's input when you're trying to use another device?
post #13 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Ross,

then I didn't understand the suggestion of leaving the Receiver on if you still gotta get the remote.

1)Apple TV in on state: TOSlink light is on even when no audio is being pushed to it, though a receiver could easily know if there is active audio.

2) Airport Express when on: TOSlink light is off when no audio is being pushed to it.

I think a good designed autosense ON/OFF for AV receivers would be a very marketable option, surprised it doesn't exist.

thanks,
Marty
post #14 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think a good designed autosense ON/OFF for AV receivers would be a very marketable option, surprised it doesn't exist.
thanks,
Marty

An auto-sensing receiver would use an inordinate amount of power to be in that kind of "standby ready" state. Maybe 100watts consumption. Totally inefficient.
post #15 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Try more like 10 watts. Maybe less with a good design.
post #16 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yeah lol it would basically be using the exact same amount of power as it normally does in its off/idle state waiting to see a signal from a remote to turn on, but regardless you are one lazy dude to not wana take the 3 seconds to switch to the remote control app. Also the usual design implementation on active lines is to send a wake up/on pulse on the wire to tell the device to start listening
post #17 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, Archie was lazy until Edith told him to grow long arms, then a market was created and somebody made an IR remote for one lazy dude(s). This is not rocket science.

I think a good design could do using 5 watts with today technology.

regards,
Marty
post #18 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try more like 10 watts. Maybe less with a good design.

Let us know when you can design such a thing for 10W. I'm not trying to be an a-hole, just revealing a dose of reality.
post #19 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

then I didn't understand the suggestion of leaving the Receiver on if you still gotta get the remote.

You only asked for something that could turn on automatically, and you don't need the remote to turn it on if you just leave it on.
Quote:
1)Apple TV in on state: TOSlink light is on even when no audio is being pushed to it, though a receiver could easily know if there is active audio.
It would have to switch to that input first and try decoding it in order to see what if anything is being transmitted.
Quote:

Look at all the complaints people have here about auto-sensing subwoofers that don't turn on when they expect them to. It would be much worse to have your receiver turning off and on and switching inputs when you didn't expect it. There's no market for this, and if you think it through you'd probably realize you don't even want it.

Based on your stated requirements so far, what should work for you is an AV receiver with AirPlay support. Leave it always on or in network standby mode and it should automatically switch to the internal AirPlay input whenever you start playing something using AirPlay.
post #20 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

Let us know when you can design such a thing for 10W. I'm not trying to be an a-hole, just revealing a dose of reality.

I measured 10 Watts on a Pyle Audio Amp in Auto Sense mode. I don't want to get into fidelity discussion on their product cause the Auto sense has nothing to do with fidelity.
post #21 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

You only asked for something that could turn on automatically, and you don't need the remote to turn it on if you just leave it on.
It would have to switch to that input first and try decoding it in order to see what if anything is being transmitted.
Look at all the complaints people have here about auto-sensing subwoofers that don't turn on when they expect them to. It would be much worse to have your receiver turning off and on and switching inputs when you didn't expect it. There's no market for this, and if you think it through you'd probably realize you don't even want it.
Based on your stated requirements so far, what should work for you is an AV receiver with AirPlay support. Leave it always on or in network standby mode and it should automatically switch to the internal AirPlay input whenever you start playing something using AirPlay.

If the subwoofers are wireless, then I can understand the problem. If not, a good design should be very robust. I'll have to look into your suggestion about Airplay receivers in standby, thanks.
post #22 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
my marantz av7005 auto-senses when i stream to it from jriver or pandora. it will turn on and automatically switch to the "network" input without having to pick up a remote or switch to the marantz app. it is, however, an airplay avr. also, it does not auto shutoff.
post #23 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, maybe there is a setting to get it to turn auto turn off.

thanks for the info,
Marty
post #24 of 28 Old 01-07-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

At least some AV receivers can be set to go into standby automatically after they haven't been operated for a certian amount of time.
post #25 of 28 Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM

Not sure where this thread is heading, but I'm currently putting together an A/V system along the lines of Marty's thinking, I think. I'd like to touch a remote as little as possible.

At the moment, I've got an Apple TV and a couple of other devices plugged into an auto-switching HDMI switch. The output goes to my TV via an audio extractor that feeds the audio to a class-T amp, which I have been leaving on much of the time. No receiver.

One problem is the Apple TV, which doesn't ever turn off and even in standby it doesn't cut its signal to the HDMI switch. So if the XBox is active, and I send audio to the Apple TV, there's no change in state to make it switch back to Apple TV.

Now what I really need is an auto-sensing toslink switch so I can get my TV audio into the system without touching it. And if that existed, I could just use my Airport Express instead of the ATV for audio.

And just throwing this out there -- if you want auto-off, how about presence-sensing or timer-based power strips?
post #26 of 28 Old 02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

That assumes the Airport Express doesn't behave like the Apple TV. Since the Airport Express never goes into standby it has even more reason to keep its optical output always active.
post #27 of 28 Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Pick up a separate auto-sensing switch, something along the lines of the Audio Authority 1154 for analong & toslink, or one of the Moniprice options for hdmi, and feed it onto a single input on your avr, which you leave on & set to that input.

Best I can do, sorry smile.gif
post #28 of 28 Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 AM

I'm trying to find the same type of setup as well. The best I've found is the Emotiva mini-X a-100:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100

The drawback is it doesn't have a toslink input.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page