HDMI Switching on New Receivers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering replacing my old Denon receiver that doesn't have HDMI connections with a current model. On new receivers, if a device such as a DVR is connected via HDMI to the receiver, is it possible that if the receiver is off the HDMI connection will just act as a pass-through or switch to the HDMI connected TV? Or, will I always have to power up the receiver and play through my sound system rather than just the TV speakers.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPJ View Post

I'm considering replacing my old Denon receiver that doesn't have HDMI connections with a current model. On new receivers, if a device such as a DVR is connected via HDMI to the receiver, is it possible that if the receiver is off the HDMI connection will just act as a pass-through or switch to the HDMI connected TV? Or, will I always have to power up the receiver and play through my sound system rather than just the TV speakers.
Thanks.

I don't own a receiver but my research has told me that you are definitely able to do this. Keep in mind that many of the good budget receivers out there don't support HDMI pass-through. Research is key.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPJ View Post

Thanks.

Look for a feature called HDMI pass through.

I have an Onkyo 809 and there are 2 ways to accomplish it:

I can select an HDMI pass through source that will work with the receiver in standby (but this causes the receiver to use power when its "off", not sure exactly how much but some....and it runs a tad warm)

or

you can redirect the audio through the TV speakers so that if the AVR is on, whatever HDMI source you are watching feeds audio to the TV instead of the speakers connected to the receiver.

The Denon thread has a lot of comparisons between receiver models, just look for one that supports HDMI passthrough. I think a few of the Yamaha models dont *officially* support it but it turns out they do work, not sure which ones.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks guys, that was very helpful and it's excellent news. I have a wiring issue (long story) so it's important that the receiver has this feature.