Onkyo TX-SR707 No Sound - Add me to the list - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought my 707 2.5 years ago, and have absolutely loved it! Two weeks ago, turned it on, and no sound. Realized after turning it off and back on again several times brought the sound back. In the past two weeks, the sound has never worked the first time, I leave the receiver on for 5 minutes, turn it off and back on, and the sound appears. Contacted Onkyo via e-mail about 10 days ago and never received a response. Called today and was told to e-mail parts with the issue I was having. He said he'd give me a one time authorized repair. So e-mailed them my info tonight, we'll see what happens. I also notice the Onkyo forums are no longer allowing people to register, so I can't get on there and discuss my problem. Nice! After everything I've read, I fully expect to have to buy a new receiver. I'll keep in touch about how this whole process goes....

Sorry, meant to post this on the TX-SR707 thread, but accidentally started a new one and cannot for the life of me see how to delete this. Sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM

Liked: 15
Seems to be a growing trend. I would be hard pressed to buy an onk again!

Wishing I could post in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

post #3 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 12:17 PM

Well known problem - see link

Onkyo was super nice and fixed it free even though 7 months out of warranty. They replaced the HDMI board which had an engineering or manufacturing problem. These things happen.
I would disagree with people saying ONKYO makes bad products.

http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t861-tx-sr707-no-sound
post #4 of 34 Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidlouche View Post

Well known problem - see link

Onkyo was super nice and fixed it free even though 7 months out of warranty. They replaced the HDMI board which had an engineering or manufacturing problem. These things happen.
I would disagree with people saying ONKYO makes bad products.

http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t861-tx-sr707-no-sound

I think the fact that it's a well known problem is a problem in itself. Can I ask how long it has been since you had your unit repaired? I've read numerous stories about having the HDMI board replaced only to have the problem reoccur around 6-9 months later. I did check out that link you posted. I tried to register on Onkyo's forums so I could take part in that discussion, but Onkyo is not allowing any new people to register. Hmm.... But as you referred to, I do know people who own older Onkyo's who swear by them, and have lasted several years. Looks like the 707's were just duds!
post #5 of 34 Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 PM

I bought my Onkyo TX-SR707 during Best Buy's 2009 Xmas sale for $700. I then spent another month procured all my theater components totaling over $5k. I hardly enjoyed my theater a few times within a year. Like everyone else has experienced, my sound went out. After a reset, the sound came back briefly for a few months, and then went dead silent.

I procrastinated in getting my Onkyo repaired in my frustration. Nevertheless, I had my unit's HDMI board replaced by Adam's under Onkyo one-time warranty in March 2012. Not knowing that this Onkyo is having design issue, I basically swapped my sound issue to a video issue. After the repair, my movie image quality degraded. The frames often flicker. I kept thinking that my Blueray maybe at fault and stayed with playing my Wii games only. My game images flicker every so often for a while and then the image went dead.

Adams offered to replace my HDMI board again for $350 with a 3-month warranty. Onkyo offered to trade-in my TX-SR unit for a refurbished TX-NR model for about $400 with a year warranty. Best Buy thought I should take the trade-in offer. Does the community have any suggestion?
post #6 of 34 Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Replacing the HDMI board again is 100% out of the question. I only paid $480 for my 707 brand new 3 years ago from Amazon, so please, do not put another single penny into this known faulty unit. There have been far too many people who have had theirs replaced only to have issue reoccur about 6-9 months later. Many of them are on a third time, so you'd be MUCH better off using that $350 towards a new unit. A friend of mine owns a local audio/video company specializing in higher end stuff, I was talking to him Monday about my problem, and asked him about buying an Integra receiver from him (made by Onkyo, but their "Cadillac" line). He is an authorized Integra dealer. He said he's having the same problem, many of his Integra customers have been reporting problems with their units...turns out to be HDMI boards in those as well. I understand any company can have a faulty unit here and there, but this is becoming a common characteristic of Onkyo receivers built in the past few years. For that reason I am avoiding Onkyo altogether, just not worth the hassle and headache. He recommended a Denon 2313, which Newegg typically has for around $550. I was also checking out a Pioneer SC-1222. Turns out last night I found out a Costco near me has the Pioneer SC-1522 ($1,027 on Amazon) for $599! Absolutely could not pass that up! Went there straight from work yesterday and scooped one up. I just like my money and the reliability of my sounds too much to go with Onkyo again after all of this, and that would be my suggestion to you as well, use that money towards a different brand.
post #7 of 34 Old 05-02-2013, 10:36 AM

Your advice makes a lot sense. I have two Costco stores nearby. I shall look into buying a new unit instead of trying to get this Onkyo to work again. Adams will not refund me the $80 for checking my unit out. So be it!
Thank you very much.
post #8 of 34 Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it's too bad they've put us through this. And unfortunately you can't get your $80 back, but that is a sunk cost that has been spent no matter how you proceed, so try not to feel too bad about it. No use throwing good money after bad, that's why I decided not even to have my 707 fixed for free when Onkyo told me they'd give me the one time warranty repair. I have two Costco's near me as well, I'm not a member but had my boss who is hook me up. One store had no receivers at all, the other luckily had about 10 of these in stock. From what I understand they are selling out pretty quickly. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464675/pioneer-sc1522-at-costco

I'm not trying to talk you into this particular model, as I have not even taken mine out of the box yet, let alone listened to it. But you'd be hard pressed to find this much receiver for such little cost if you can get your hands on one for $599. I've been researching for a few weeks and thought I was going to go with a Denon, but once I saw I had a chance for this at $599, just couldn't pass it up.

Here is the official thread for the 1522 as well:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread
post #9 of 34 Old 05-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Thanks again. I read briefly the discussion about this Pioneer SC-1522k model. It looks like a good product. I just called Huntington Beach Costco. They have a few of those. I am on my way over there now.
post #10 of 34 Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Cool man, glad to hear it! Hope you like it, you'll have to let me know what you think of it once you get it up and running. I'm going out of state for a few days, so I'm not sure if I'll have mine going before I leave or not.
post #11 of 34 Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 AM

I got my Pioneer SC-1552-k and I am retrieving my Onkyo today. Like your case, my Pioneer will sit in the box for a few days. I am going out of town this afternoon.
post #12 of 34 Old 05-18-2013, 10:37 AM

Okay I got my 707 fixed now.

First i noticed about 200-300mV ripple on 5V, 3.3V, 2.5V and 1.8V on the HDMI board on top.
I replaced the four 470uF capacitors and ripple decreased quite a bit....say 50-150mV.
I used 16V rubycon ZLs...they are very good capacitors at least from performance view.

Then i covered everything around the Q3001 DTS chip with a few layers of aluminum foil and switched my hot air gun to low heat.

I heated the 176pin DTS chip until a piece of solder melted when I put it on top of it.

Then I let it cool down for manymany minutes since the board was probably more than 200deg.C hot.

When it was lukewarm I switched it on. Voila. Works!

Screw you Onkyo. Seems to me like all their products nowadays have some serious issue.

Before I had another model that was on mute constantly.
So I added a 555 timer to pull down the mute pin on the processor biggrin.gif

If you need more advice I can try to help smile.gif
post #13 of 34 Old 08-22-2013, 05:50 PM

Imon my second hdmi board. Again the sound has stsrted it's crap where u have to turn it off and on again. Now, no audio at all. I'm done with onk
post #14 of 34 Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 PM

4~ years strong with this receiver and its optical died I think.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1487330/onkyo-receiver-optical-input-not-working-suddenly

I still get sound if I do HDMI. I haven't tried other inputs.
post #15 of 34 Old 08-24-2013, 05:41 PM

I used the repair service I found on ebay, $75 tp repair the HDMI board. My HDMI board came back repaired with the recommended daughter board add-on and been working fine for about a month now. It was money well spent for me since since I use and like alot the 707 features. Service was prompt. I use the phono input as the custom remote for my theater lighting and I just like this receiver. Seems to be a design flaw across several model Onkyos. My other receiver is a older Pioneer Elite that only does 5.1 but is dang awesome in stereo for just music. Would lean toward another Pioneer if this Onkyo ever goes out again.
post #16 of 34 Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarydad4 View Post

I used the repair service I found on ebay, $75 tp repair the HDMI board. My HDMI board came back repaired with the recommended daughter board add-on and been working fine for about a month now. It was money well spent for me since since I use and like alot the 707 features. Service was prompt. I use the phono input as the custom remote for my theater lighting and I just like this receiver. Seems to be a design flaw across several model Onkyos. My other receiver is a older Pioneer Elite that only does 5.1 but is dang awesome in stereo for just music. Would lean toward another Pioneer if this Onkyo ever goes out again.

I utilized the same repair service on ebay as you did. It came back with the daughter board as well, however, it has just stopped working. The service was done 6 months ago. So, im lost now. I have a useless receiver and I don't want to pay 75$ every six months and go through the hassle of sending it out. Do you remember if that repair service is warrantied?
post #17 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 AM

Can anyone post a pic of the hdmi board. Would like to know what type of caps to buy? Surface mount? My 707 is starting to act up.
post #18 of 34 Old 10-17-2013, 07:54 AM

Sorry for my english. So i just show how i have fixed an Onkyo 707 HDMI board.

PART 1:

First i replaced all "bigger" caps above 22 uF. 

post #19 of 34 Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 AM

PART 2:

BGA reflow or rework or however that named. Built some wall for the parts around the DSP chip.

Put some solder on the chip and heat it up with 370°C hot air. If the solder on the chip transform to a ball, heat up one more minute.

Then let it cool down....

post #20 of 34 Old 10-17-2013, 08:04 AM

PART 3:

Build it back into the reciever and see: everything will be fine :)

Speakers are on, after some seconds you hear the "click" and the DSP shows his version again.

Maybe you should do this with the other chip too. In my case the bigger chip is not the fault. 

greetings...

post #21 of 34 Old 10-18-2013, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How do you all have it placed? Is it in a cabinet or is it placed open. These kind of problems are often heat related and Onkyo does warn about the heat and placing. Even so, if it is a heat related problem, it seems that they should either have gone with active cooling or a different chip/design. So many people have had this problem and that is not cool (pun intended).

If the DSP chips indeed are losing their connection to the board, it has to be due too much heat which is warping the board and breaking the connection to the DSP. This means that if your 707 does get proper airflow (either through active cooling or good placement) it should not be a problem.

Onkyo TX-SR707 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550, Chario Hiper 2000T fronts, Chario Hiper Dialogue Center, Monitor Audio RXFX Surrounds, Rel Quake 200E Subwoofer, Infocus X10 FullHD
post #22 of 34 Old 10-18-2013, 06:01 AM

Add me to the list. I called Onkyo and they said to first try a factory reset before they can proceed. I thought I'd post how to do that here so you can also say you've already done it:

On front panel turn receiver on.
On front panel press and hold vcr/dvr and then press power button.
You will see "clear" in the readout.

I did that and it did not fix my audio issue.

I will be calling Onkyo parts deptartment at: 201-785-2600 Option #4.
They are open 9-5 eastern time.

Edit: I just talked to Onkyo. They are going to repair my receiver as a "one time warranty".

You can email them at: ONKYOUSA, Parts [parts@us.onkyo.com]

They told me to send the following info:
Customer Name
Home Address
Home Phone Number
Unit
16 digit Serial Number from Rear Panel
Receipt or Bill of Sale
Description of Problem
post #23 of 34 Old 10-20-2013, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthemma View Post

Add me to the list. I called Onkyo and they said to first try a factory reset before they can proceed. I thought I'd post how to do that here so you can also say you've already done it:

On front panel turn receiver on.
On front panel press and hold vcr/dvr and then press power button.
You will see "clear" in the readout.

I did that and it did not fix my audio issue.

I will be calling Onkyo parts deptartment at: 201-785-2600 Option #4.
They are open 9-5 eastern time.

Edit: I just talked to Onkyo. They are going to repair my receiver as a "one time warranty".

You can email them at: ONKYOUSA, Parts [parts@us.onkyo.com]

They told me to send the following info:
Customer Name
Home Address
Home Phone Number
Unit
16 digit Serial Number from Rear Panel
Receipt or Bill of Sale
Description of Problem

I hate it when that happens, could you tell us how you had yours placed? Did you place it with plenty of air around it or did you put it in a cabinet?

Onkyo TX-SR707 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550, Chario Hiper 2000T fronts, Chario Hiper Dialogue Center, Monitor Audio RXFX Surrounds, Rel Quake 200E Subwoofer, Infocus X10 FullHD
post #24 of 34 Old 11-02-2013, 06:24 AM

So, add me to the list. No sound from any source, even the headphone amp gets no sound. As luck would have it, I have about 4 weeks left on my extended warranty from Best Buy, I will be heading there later today, wish me luck, I hope they don't try to weasel out of their obligation to stand by it. Not sure if Onkyo is still offering help to people that are almost a year out of factory warranty.

For now, looks like I will be hooking up my older but still quite nice-sounding Marantz SR-7000, which is parked at the moment and was being prepped for sale. There are no HDMI hookups, but I have found the optical PCM feed to the receiver sounds great and is easier for the family to use (I.e., they don't need to monkey with the receiver to watch the news or reruns of Dora the Exporer). Just plug all the HDMI devices into the TV.
post #25 of 34 Old 11-02-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhanken View Post

So, add me to the list. No sound from any source, even the headphone amp gets no sound. As luck would have it, I have about 4 weeks left on my extended warranty from Best Buy, I will be heading there later today, wish me luck, I hope they don't try to weasel out of their obligation to stand by it. Not sure if Onkyo is still offering help to people that are almost a year out of factory warranty.

For now, looks like I will be hooking up my older but still quite nice-sounding Marantz SR-7000, which is parked at the moment and was being prepped for sale. There are no HDMI hookups, but I have found the optical PCM feed to the receiver sounds great and is easier for the family to use (I.e., they don't need to monkey with the receiver to watch the news or reruns of Dora the Exporer). Just plug all the HDMI devices into the TV.

On a 2-4 week cycle waiting to see what Best Buy finds out and chooses to do. From boards I have reviewed, people complain that repairs are short-lived and have HDMI imaging problems afterwards. Not super hopeful.
post #26 of 34 Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Subscribed..... Another victim here.... My 707 has been dead for a few months now and been holding out on it for repairs or junk it but I paid over $500 3yrs ago. Pls update thanks.
post #27 of 34 Old 11-08-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhanken View Post

On a 2-4 week cycle waiting to see what Best Buy finds out and chooses to do. From boards I have reviewed, people complain that repairs are short-lived and have HDMI imaging problems afterwards. Not super hopeful.

So, got a very interesting email from Best Buy today on my broken down TX-SR707. From the look of things, it was an easy fix.  Very strange  that he could fix it in about 60 seconds, maybe I had a switch turned off and everything is fine. 

post #28 of 34 Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM

Add me to the list! I went on the internet to see if there was a trouble-shooter solution to what I presumed was a simple problem, and to my surprise found your statement expressing exactly the same problem I have.  Were you able to get Onkyo to fix your unit or did they tell you how you can fix the TX-SR707 no sound problem?  Who should I contact at Onkyo to fix the problem? I am dreading the possibility of having to buy another receiver, will absolutely NOT BE MADE BY ONKYO!

post #29 of 34 Old 11-28-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddi998 View Post

Sorry for my english. So i just show how i have fixed an Onkyo 707 HDMI board.

PART 1:

First i replaced all "bigger" caps above 22 uF. 

Do you have the part numbers of the capacitors you used?

post #30 of 34 Old 11-28-2013, 10:00 PM

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr707 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page