5.1 Receiver with wifi capability , Internet radio , AirPlay and reliable for around $300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a receiver like the title says. I wouldn't be able to run a cable to it so wifi is needed. I'm really considering the onkyo tx-nr414 because the wifi dongle is cheap and I would just add Apple TV but I've read about reliability issues. The new Sony is one receiver with everything but its a little out of my price range.

I'm new to home theater receivers and was wondering what advice you guys would recommend. Any other receivers you recommend , any other ideas? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Why do you need Wifi if you're getting an Apple TV? Are they not going to be in the same room (receiver and Apple TV)? Also you can step up to the 515 or 616 for $298 or $344 respectively on Amazon.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 07:07 PM

Liked: 32
The one reason I went with the Denon 1612, is because our Sony Blu-Ray player already has everything that you mentioned. As for Airplay, there is a app in the appstore that takes Airplay's place, and works just as good, for streaming across the network to dlna capable devices.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Although a wired connection from the AVR to the modem/router is always recommended to ensure stronger signal integrity, there are other options when a wired connection is not feasible to include: (1) using a wireless router in "bridge" mode wired to the AVR and connecting wirelessly to the home's wireless router, (2) powerline adapters which plug in to nearby outlets, and (3) Ethernet over coax MoCA adapters to use the home's TV cable wiring.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
OK guys, Im putting down my phone and going to get a little more detailed since im in front of a computer now. I should have mentioned that Im actualy going to use this receiver upstairs for a while until my basment is done (hopefuly next summer its done)and then Im going to move the receiver and 5.1 setup downstairs because the TV unpstairs would just be used by my wife and she doesnt want/need any extra sound. Currently where the TV is at upstairs, I cannot get an ethernet cord over there but when its downstairs I will able to. I just thought i would leave that out because I originaly wanted a wifi receiver anyways. After more thought, I might not even need a network receiver at all.

Im thinking of going with a smart TV for downstairs and at somepoint possibly even adding a computer. That will definately take away the need of a receiver with streaming music. I also would probably just add apple tv at somepoint so I can easily stream the music on my iphone(or just airplay, whats the difference?). This again, eliminates really any need for a network receiver for me.

So really, I should just look at a cheaper 5.1 setup that is reliable and sounds good.

So, now that I fully explained my situation and kind of rethought everything, am I starting to sound logical with my future plans? Again,
is there any model receiver you guys recommend for me. Thanks again...
post #6 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 AM

Liked: 32
You can get wifi repeaters that are just a module that plugs into the power outlet, or do Ethernet over Power Adapter. While finishing the basement, you should have no problem pulling Ethernet runs where you need them. As for the wife's location, Ethernet can be pulled up there, as long as you have unfinished space underneath the room that you are going to be locating that equipment at.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 AM

Liked: 12
Definately run a LAN wire to your basement location. Wireless is great for movable devices (phones, pads, notebooks) . If the device isn't moving around LAN is way way better. Apple TV has a LAN input and will act as your network for your receiver. You can just get a cheep 5.1 receiver and save much. If your into or thinking about Itunes/Airplay, you'll be set.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page