How can I use an HDTV Antenna with Denon AVR-1713 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning on using Winegard GS2200 Sensar III Amplified HDTV antenna to get TV reception. My equipment I am using is a Denon AVR 1713, Panasonic plasma TC-P50GT50, Energy RC-Micro 5.1 Home Theater System, and PANASONIC DMP-BDT220 DVD player. What would be the best way to hook this up. I have a similar configuration using FIOS and got that to work but have never hooked up a system with just an antenna. I assume I will be able to get 5.1 surround sound I hope. I am sort of up on these things but am no expert, probably would consider myself as knowing enough to do basic things. Any advice/help would be most appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 PM

Liked: 32
Antenna connected to your tv, and Optical out for 5.1 from OTA stations, to your AVR.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 PM

Liked: 12
If your TV supports ARC (Audio Return channel), enable it via the menu and connect the receiver to the TV via a HDMI cable which supports AC.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 351
optical out from Panasonic TV to receiver. Connect HDTV antenna to Panasonic TV

Afro GT
post #5 of 21 Old 01-08-2013, 03:05 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
If you only wanted to use the antenna to pull in FM radio stations, you could connect it directly to the FM antenna input on the 1713; however, as AVRs do not have TV tuners, in order to use it to pull in TV stations, you'll need to connect it directly to the TV as others have noted. Rather than using ARC (as it can likely only pass stereo 2.0 audio), you'll then want to connect an optical cable from the TV to the 1713 which will allow the TV to pass DD 5.1 on those HD stations that broadcast DD 5.1.

Also note, there's a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's linked in my sig. Review posts #3-6 in that thread for additional helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 21 Old 01-08-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. If I used an HDMI cable from the TV to the Denon would this mean I could not get 5.1 sound ? My home is new construction and have it prewired from wall where TV will be mounted to AVR rack with HDMI, did not put in any other type of cable. The TV supports ARC from what I can gather. Also is there some device I can purchase which can receive the Antenna signal, pass it to the Denon, and then to the TV like would happen if I had a cable or Fios box ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygman5 View Post

Thanks for the info. If I used an HDMI cable from the TV to the Denon would this mean I could not get 5.1 sound ? My home is new construction and have it prewired from wall where TV will be mounted to AVR rack with HDMI, did not put in any other type of cable. The TV supports ARC from what I can gather. Also is there some device I can purchase which can receive the Antenna signal, pass it to the Denon, and then to the TV like would happen if I had a cable or Fios box ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your options are limited if you need 5.1. But you can go with (1) Samsung DTB260F (truly independent) (2) New Boxee box (3) simple.tv with Roku (not sure whether you will get 5.1)
post #8 of 21 Old 01-08-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, would the Channel Master CM-7001 work for my situation. I have read some of the info here and I think so. I want to have 5.1 sound if at all possible. If I run the antenna directly into the tv and use HDMI to the Denon would that produce 5.1 sound ? I am somewhat confused by a previous post. The TV supports ARC. Appreciate all the help.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 AM

First, I would recommend a rooftop TV/FM antenna with a rotor if needed. Then add amplifier if still canot get strong signal by pointing the antenna to the right direction. Check TVFool.com for antenna choice.

Second, it is not difficult for a professional antenna installer to pull a cable directly to your TV. That will be your best choice for over the air (OTA) broadcasts. My house was not wired for antenna either but the antenna guy did it in a snap with no damage..
post #10 of 21 Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 AM

Yes CM7001 would work as well and so would be the DTVPal DVR. The ARC feature is a new feature useful for people with OTA connection to TV or apps (e.g. netflix, amazon VOD) within TV sending the audio channel to the receiver. As you can imagine, the standard might have dictated something and the implementation might be conforming to the standard and still pass "more" on top of the standard. Disclaimer: I don't have ARC capable tv or receiver, so I am not the best person to talk about it. But definitely I am also interested in this type of technology because I used to be an OTA enthusiast, and simplifying the number of boxes, cables interest me. Here is a relevant discussion on ARC/CEC which might warm you up on the various issues/gotcha on CEC/ARC.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1253575/samsung-c8000-and-audio-return-channel-problems
post #11 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hello, I am planning on setting up my system this weekend and am still not sure if I need an HDMI cable to the Denon or an optical. A helpful person posted "If your TV supports ARC (Audio Return channel), enable it via the menu and connect the receiver to the TV via a HDMI cable which supports AC." The TV supports ARC so I think I can as there already is an HDMI cable running in the wall from the TV to the Denon which I can hook up. I am not sure what "supports AC" above means. The cable is hdmi version 1.4 as it was purchased and installed this summer by the electrician when my house was built and he told me it was latest specification cable.

I hope my questions don't seem too dumb and I appreciate all the help
post #12 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Hello, I am planning on setting up my system this weekend and am still not sure if I need an HDMI cable to the Denon or an optical. A helpful person posted "If your TV supports ARC (Audio Return channel), enable it via the menu and connect the receiver to the TV via a HDMI cable which supports AC." The TV supports ARC so I think I can as there already is an HDMI cable running in the wall from the TV to the Denon which I can hook up. I am not sure what "supports AC" above means. The cable is hdmi version 1.4 as it was purchased and installed this summer by the electrician when my house was built and he told me it was latest specification cable.

I hope my questions don't seem too dumb and I appreciate all the help

The HDMI will work, just enable HDMI-ARC or CEC in the TV settings. However, it can NOT pass 5.1 back to the receiver, only 2.0, that's why some people suggested an optical cable, which can pass 5.1
post #13 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I assume an optical cable can be bought at best buy or perhaps Radio Shack ? If not any suggestiosn ? Thanks for all the help
post #14 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 PM

monoprice.com.

Never overpay for cables again.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Thanks for the info, I assume an optical cable can be bought at best buy or perhaps Radio Shack ? If not any suggestiosn ? Thanks for all the help

Yes they can. They're also called Toslink cables. This is THE place to get quality cables at a great price and they ship FAST. Toslink cables are down the page a little bit.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=toslink+cables
Hope this helps.

Ed
post #16 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

monoprice.com.

Never overpay for cables again.

Ya beat me to it!smile.gif

Ed
post #17 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for you help, would this be the type optical cable being discussed by everyone that I should buy ? I assume I need an audio optical cable ?

10ft Optical Toslink 5.0mm OD Audio Cable -- from monoproce site selected audio cables - optical
post #18 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks for you help, would this be the type optical cable being discussed by everyone that I should buy ? I assume I need an audio optical cable ?

10ft Optical Toslink 5.0mm OD Audio Cable -- from monoproce site selected audio cables - optical

Yep. I have the 8.0mm "fancy" one, it's a pretty nice cable.
post #19 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

YES! Order tonight and you'll have it in a few days. You can buy at least 6 of 'em for what one'll cost @ BB!wink.gif

Ed
post #20 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

Yep. I have the 8.0mm "fancy" one, it's a pretty nice cable.

Smart alec!tongue.gif

Ed
post #21 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the help I think I am good to go.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1713 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page