Crazy Loud Popping When Starting Up New Theater System - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Crazy Loud Popping When Starting Up New Theater System
bentout12's Avatar bentout12 09:05 PM 01-07-2013
I recently set up a home theater system that's been having one issue since the beginning. Pioneer VSX 822k receiver with a bose acoustimass 10 5.1 audio system.

It seems to work fine, except when I turn everything on after it's been off for awhile, the speakers throw out crazy loud static/popping sounds. The sounds keep going even if I turn the volume to zero. If I turn the volume up, I can hear the audio source underneath the static/popping. But the static/popping stays the same at any volume setting. After a few minutes, it starts to go away. This only happens after the system has been off for awhile. If I turn it off and back on again, there is no problem.

I think it might only happen when I set the source to my cable box, but I'm not sure. I'm going to have to try different sources whenever it happens again.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Joshjp's Avatar Joshjp 09:26 PM 01-07-2013
Just burn the Bose, and your problems will go away.
bentout12's Avatar bentout12 06:36 AM 01-08-2013
Any solutions? I don't want to return the speakers without verifying they are the problem.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 07:02 AM 01-08-2013
Try a different set of speakers. Bet you it is the Bass module that is causing it, since the speakers feed off of it.
bentout12's Avatar bentout12 01:06 PM 01-08-2013
Does it sound like it is the speakers and not the receiver or cable box?

I was thinking of this set as an alternative.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001R70ZMI

How does it look? It's cheaper than the Bose setup, but I hear Bose is overpriced anyway.
bentout12's Avatar bentout12 02:34 PM 01-11-2013
It wasn't the Bose. I switched to a 5.1 Def Tech Pro Cinema 600 and it's giving me the same problems. I've tried setting my cable box to use different HDMI inputs and it still does the same thing. I also noticed the loud popping/hissing causes my TV to power off when it happens.

What next?
arnyk's Avatar arnyk 03:52 PM 01-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentout12 View Post

I recently set up a home theater system that's been having one issue since the beginning. Pioneer VSX 822k receiver with a bose acoustimass 10 5.1 audio system.

It seems to work fine, except when I turn everything on after it's been off for awhile, the speakers throw out crazy loud static/popping sounds. The sounds keep going even if I turn the volume to zero. If I turn the volume up, I can hear the audio source underneath the static/popping. But the static/popping stays the same at any volume setting. After a few minutes, it starts to go away. This only happens after the system has been off for awhile. If I turn it off and back on again, there is no problem.

I think it might only happen when I set the source to my cable box, but I'm not sure. I'm going to have to try different sources whenever it happens again.

Anyone know what the problem is?

The answer hangs on the name of the device that removing fixes the problem.
bentout12's Avatar bentout12 07:53 PM 01-11-2013
Not totally sure what that means. No one has a suggestion?
bentout12's Avatar bentout12 10:12 PM 01-11-2013
Just noticed that the popping came back when I purchased a movie on demand through my cable service. It definitely seems like the cable box is the culprit, or an incompatibility between the box and the receiver.

Any suggestions?
Prochambers's Avatar Prochambers 11:33 PM 01-11-2013
I would go back thru everything to make sure that all connections are intake. Check for loose wires or connectors. Also, check internal settings on the receiver and the cable box in case something is not compatible. Advice: I would NOT turn the volume up as before until you have sorted out the problem. The last thing you would want to do is blow your speakers!!!
Up
Mobile  Desktop