I wanna buy an AMP. need help on this matter - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > I wanna buy an AMP. need help on this matter
Truquitos's Avatar Truquitos 10:32 PM 01-07-2013
Hello,
i have a decent receiver VSX 1020K, but i want to add a few extra speakers in the future "high end" i know later on i will have to change my receiver but in the mid time i will like to buy an AMP to fully power my speakers. what will be a good AMP, something good. maybe under 200 dollars. as stated before i will upgrade my whole HT but later on. right now i have 2 Polk monitor 70, 1 Polk CS2 center and a BIG America F12" and im looking for 2 bookshelf to add to that 3.1 system. so what AMP will power those speakers when i crank my volume all the way up.
Thank You!

Truquitos's Avatar Truquitos 04:21 AM 01-08-2013
Any help!!
chatanika's Avatar chatanika 05:22 AM 01-08-2013
There are no good amps at that price, I would go used on craigslist.
Truquitos's Avatar Truquitos 08:19 AM 01-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatanika View Post

There are no good amps at that price, I would go used on craigslist.
Im afraid you are right. I was reading here and all the Amps I saw were 500 and up!!
chatanika's Avatar chatanika 09:18 AM 01-08-2013
I go to pawn shops ,classifieds ,estate sales,etc. just got a pair of adcom 300. Waters for 180, one needs some caps
kkpro's Avatar kkpro 10:24 AM 01-08-2013
There is an Emotiva LPA-1 on Audiogon for a little over $300.00. That is also a 7 channel amp.
speavler's Avatar speavler 10:30 AM 01-08-2013
confused. you just need a 2 channel amp? emotiva has that little 50 watt X 2 amp with volume control. on sale under $200. i have no experience with it, however.
runnin''s Avatar runnin' 11:00 AM 01-08-2013
The pioneer VSX 1020K does not have pre out connections for an amp, so buying an amp for that AVR is kind of pointless.
Truquitos's Avatar Truquitos 03:49 PM 01-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

The pioneer VSX 1020K does not have pre out connections for an amp, so buying an amp for that AVR is kind of pointless.
Now that I didn't know. So if I wanna buy am amp what kind or AV receiver I should look into? Any feature that need to have in order to connect a Amp?
runnin''s Avatar runnin' 03:54 PM 01-08-2013
Yes sir, you need the receiver to have 7.1 pre outs. Unfortunately only the more expensive models tend to have this. Denon's 3312 has it and Onkyo 717. Yamaha and Pioneer have models as well, but I'm not sure which ones.
JD in NJ's Avatar JD in NJ 03:56 PM 01-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truquitos View Post

Now that I didn't know. So if I wanna buy am amp what kind or AV receiver I should look into? Any feature that need to have in order to connect a Amp?

You need to have pre-amplifier outputs. Most receivers used to have them, but most makers have slowly been pushing them upmarket, with the net effect that you can't really save much money on your electronics by using an inexpensive receiver as your surround processor/pre-amplifier.

Think of a receiver as a three part system. It's a surround sound processor (decodes various inputs into 2.0 through 11.2 audio channels depending on model) tied to a pre-amplifier (mostly a volume control) tied to several amplifiers, one for each amplified channel it supports. You can substitute discreet components for these, but only more expensive receivers will talk to them gracefully as a general rule.

That being said, unless you're filling a big space or like it really loud or have really insensitive speakers, you probably don't really NEED component amplifiers. WANT might be another thing, of course.
Up
Mobile  Desktop