So, I was all excited to upgrade my 6-yr old Marantz SR-5001 receiver to a current gen receiver capable of decoding the latest hi-res audio codecs. So I found the best deal available online and ordered a refurbished Denon AVR-3313CI, hoping to get a great movie watching experience over the holidays. The receiver arrived just after Christmas, and I proceeded to enthusiastically unpack and setup the receiver like a kid unwrapping his Christmas present. After setting up the receiver, I got a firmware update notification, and without much hesitation. To cut the long story short, after failing a couple of times, the firmware update kicked off, only to get stuck midway. Tried to call Denon support, but they were closed over the holiday break till after the New Year's. Frustratingly, I let the receiver plod away on the hopeless upgrade limbo for more than 36 hours.
Now, after I finally could talk to the Denon support on 01/02, a full four days after the receiver went into limbo, I was instructed to pull the plug and try to reset the receiver. Again, long story short, the receiver lost all video output, and I was instructed to box up the bad boy and ship out for replacement. I was promised to receive a shipping label by the next day. Two days passed, and no signs of a shipping label coming. I called up Denon again, and at 4:30PM PT, was greeted by a recorded voice on the phone that the D&M support was closed and to call back during business hours of 9AM-8PM ET.
I called back the following day, and was told that the request to generate shipping labels was sent to one particular lady, and that she was out on vacation
. The support requests would be processed after this "all knowing" person could get to it in due course of time. I patiently waited over the past weekend, hoping for better luck as the new week dawns. Come the new week, I patiently waited till the end of day on Monday to see if I'd be blessed with the shipping labels. No such luck., and again, at 4:30PM PT, I called Denon support, to once again be greeted with the recording that the D&M offices were closed, and to call back during their business hours of 9AM-8PM ET.
I called back again this morning, early in the day, hoping to catch this elusive lady and appeal to her good graces to get my shipping labels. No such luck. I was once again given the sorry excuse that the request to generate shipping labels was pending processing by this mysterious lady, and apparently nobody else in the entire company could help expedite the process. I gave them the ultimatum that if I don't hear back from the support by tomorrow morning, I would directly call Denon Corporate and report the whole sordid story with their support channel.
So, after paying good money for a supposedly reputable brand of receivers, I have had nothing but frustration so far for almost three weeks now. Looks like Denon has outsourced support to a flimsy operation (the support agent's email ended in s2g.net) that is either utterly incompetent or severely understaffed, or Denon has produced with a crap load of faulty equipment, resulting in an overwhelming number of support/replacement cases.
Easily the worst and most frustrating experience with a piece of electronics I've had so far.