Existing whole house Sonos upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would like to integrate Sonos into my whole house audio system. What I have now is an old (and failing) Pioneer stereo receiver with a 4 zone speaker selector connected to “Speaker A” outputs. Zones 1-3 go to built-in speakers in the walls, zone 4 goes outside to a pair of outdoor speakers.

What I’d like to do is replace the old receiver with a new amp, and still use a speaker selector, wired to the speakers as they are now. The amp source would be a Sonos Connect accessing my network. What I want to accomplish is to access Pandora, Spotify, Internet Radio, and the music files on my PC, and do so remotely from an iPhone or the PC. I understand I will be limited to a single source at a time for all zones, and will have to manually select zones with the speaker selector. But I do want to be able to select from iTunes or Pandora, etc. and be able to control on/off/volume from an iPhone & PC.

My first question is will this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-08-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 55
A Sonos zp120 should do everything you are trying to accomplish. It will ennd to be connected via ethernet to your network. If you do not have ethernet available where the 120 will be placed, you will need a zone bridge (another Sonos product.) I have had my Sonos system for a few years, it gets used every day with never an issue.

post #3 of 16 Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

A Sonos zp120 should do everything you are trying to accomplish. It will ennd to be connected via ethernet to your network. If you do not have ethernet available where the 120 will be placed, you will need a zone bridge (another Sonos product.) I have had my Sonos system for a few years, it gets used every day with never an issue.

Well, that's what I thought/was hoping. A salesman is trying to sell me 4 Connect Amps, one for each zone. When I asked him about the ZP120/amp/speaker selector described above, he came up with some jibberish that went way over my head as to why it wouldn't work. If this will, in fact work, I need some guidance on choosing an amp.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Will a simple amp like this http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=M-282&class=Amplifier&p=i work for this application? I have no clue what to look for. We listen at background music volume levels.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsab View Post

Will a simple amp like this http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=M-282&class=Amplifier&p=i work for this application? I have no clue what to look for. We listen at background music volume levels.

Can anyone confirm this amp will work before I buy it? I know nothing about amps, but I know there's a big difference in welders of a given size. They might be rated at the same amps, but some have no guts. I assume amps are the same way, but I don't know what to look for.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just so I understand. Your idea is to use the Sonos connect zp120 to feed a speaker switch that will have one set of speakers running at a time? Just looking for clarification.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Multiple speakers. Current plan: Sonos ZP120 > Onkyo M-282 > Russound SDB-4.1 or NXG Technology NX-SSVC6 > 4 pairs 8 ohm speakers. Most of the time 3 Zones will be playing, and on rare occasions, all four.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM

Okay. What is the purpose of the ZP120 in this scenario? Is your goal to have it pass the music to the Onkyo amp? I have 3 Sonos ZP120 and a ZP90. The ZP120 is now called the "Connect:Amp" and the ZP90 is called the "Connect".

If you don't need the amp portion of the ZP120 then go with the ZP90 (Connect) Sonos unit.

Also be aware that the ZP120 can feed speakers or and impedence matching switch which the Russound appears to be.

I hope I haven't confused you further. Keep asking questions and we'll get you to your goal.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry, I have the model number wrong. I want to use a Sonos Connect to pass iTunes from my PC, and other sources such as Pandora to an amp, then to an impedance matching speaker selector, to four zones. I understand I'll have to switch the zones manually, but I want to control source and volume with an iPhone.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainman View Post

Also be aware that the ZP120 can feed speakers or and impedence matching switch which the Russound appears to be.

I never thought of this, but do you think a single Sonos Connect Amp could drive 4 pairs of speakers?
post #11 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 PM

Based on that description the Connect should work for what you need. You're basically using it as a pre-amp and that's one of it's functions. I have my ZP90 (Connect) attached to my Onkyo receiver.

Sounds like you're good to go. Enjoy!
post #12 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help!
post #13 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 PM

You're welcome!
post #14 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The zp120 has an amplifier built in. You could connect it to the switch directly and would not need an extErnal amp if I am understanding what you are trying to do.

post #15 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 PM

g_bartman has a solid point. As long as you're connecting the ZP120 to an impedance matching switch Sonos says that will work. The Onkyo amp you mention does have more "power" @ 140 watts at 8ohms whereas the Connect:Amp if I recall pushes only 55 per channel.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

The ZP120 is $100 more than the ZP90, the Onkyo M-282 is $230. For the net $130 difference I'm going to get the separate amp. Seems like I'd be squeezing the little 55W ZP90, while the M-282 can just idle. I decided to get a Niles SSVC4 speaker selector. The others I looked at had more buttons to push (2 source; 6 zones), and since the grandkids will be using it, I want to keep it simple.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page