Marantz Recievers and Audyssey - Very strange - front speakers always FULL BAND? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys

I have a marantz SR5006 and im playing around once again with the calibration after adding some goodies to my setup. Now I found something strange that I never noticed before.

The XO rolloff point determined by audyessey was 40 for fronts, 60 for center and 60 for surrounds. All were allocated the "small" speaker size except for the front towers so after the calibration I changed this manually to small and raised the XO points all up 20hz to give some headroom to the speakers and let my SVS sub do its thing (LFE bass setting not LFE+MAIN). Everything is as it should but when I check the perameters for audyssey it still shows the speakers as large/full band. But yet when I go to another menu ( I forget what its called now, but its the one were you change the crossover points) it shows the speakers as small.

Why is it doing this? im worried that my speakers are locked in LARGE/full band mode therefore not allowing the bass signal to go to the sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM

Did you hear a difference when you changed it? I think the Parameter Check shows what the Auto setup would suggest, but the manual settings overrride this. I have changed the Small/Large setting myself and I hear the change, it sounds correct. And my Parameter check still shows what the Audyssey original setting was.

I think you're fine.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

ohh ok

yeah that would make sence then. I assume you have a marantz recieve with the same UI. I just find it strange and I dont know what to belive in terms of what the reciever is actually producing settings wise. Your logic does seem correct though as the audyssey parameters are howing what it initially "set" the receiver settings to, but my actual crossover/speaker size settings show what I manually change it to. Assuming the reciever is using this information for processing, then all is good.

Anyone else who has a marantz beside them and cares to verify - please look at these settings to see if they are the same or are different like in my situation.

thanks for your reply ^^
post #4 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

furthermore

is that 80hz just a recomended starting point? or should I by default put it at 80 and leave it since chances are, the SVS sub can handle sub 80hz signal better than my mains if I let it handle to lets say....60hz?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I think 80hz is the recommended Dolby or THX setting for your speakers if you have a subwoofer. But by all means experiment and set it at whatever sounds best to you.

Afro GT
post #6 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 1301
Yes .. this is how Denon and Marantz units work ... the AUTO SETUP settings (after running Audyssey) are listed in the Parameter Check menu so you know what they are should you want to return to them and any changes you make in Manual Setup will then become the "active" settings (eg. changing the FL/FR speakers to SMALL and raising the speaker crossover settings to 80Hz).

Also note there is a dedicated thread for 5006 Owner's linked below which answer many more questions you might have as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334415/marantz-sr5006-marantz-sr6006-receiver-thread/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page