5.1 audio output from LED TV to Amplifier/Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Recently I bought a 46" LED TV from Samsung (UA46EH6030R). The problem with this TV is that it does not have any digital audio output ports on it; it has two HDMI and 1 headphone jack. Now, I have a Yamaha receiver at my home which does not have any HDMI connectivity options but only has RCA and Digital (Optical/Coaxial) inputs.
I need to now connect my amplifier to my TV so that the receiver would be able to output audio from the TV. I have tried the 3.5 mm headphone jack to RCA option but that would only provide me with the stereo(2.1 channel) output; my concern is the 5.1 soundtrack from the movies on USB stick attached to TV.

Requesting u all to please help me with certain feasible solutions as I am badly stuck with this setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik Gandhi View Post

Hi,
Recently I bought a 46" LED TV from Samsung (UA46EH6030R). The problem with this TV is that it does not have any digital audio output ports on it; it has two HDMI and 1 headphone jack. Now, I have a Yamaha receiver at my home which does not have any HDMI connectivity options but only has RCA and Digital (Optical/Coaxial) inputs.
I need to now connect my amplifier to my TV so that the receiver would be able to output audio from the TV. I have tried the 3.5 mm headphone jack to RCA option but that would only provide me with the stereo(2.1 channel) output; my concern is the 5.1 soundtrack from the movies on USB stick attached to TV.
Requesting u all to please help me with certain feasible solutions as I am badly stuck with this setup.

What source's do you have hooked up, if any? DVD, cable??

Espo77
post #3 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Your TV has an optical output. All you need is a Toslink/optical audio cable and connect your TV to your receiver.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

Your TV has an optical output. All you need is a Toslink/optical audio cable and connect your TV to your receiver.

it does not have any optical outputs....I have gone thorugh each n every connectivity option and the only ones that are there are HDMI and 3.5 mm jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

What source's do you have hooked up, if any? DVD, cable??

TV is currently attached to my DTH box...
post #5 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

I just looked up your TV and looked at the back panel. I can see the optical output is located right beneath the two HDMI jacks. In the spec list I do not see optical listed under 'Connectivity Options', but instead it's under 'Audio'.

Now whether or not your TV actually does have the optical output or not, I don't know. Not saying you're lying or anything. But the model TV you have is supposed to come with an optical output from everything I'm seeing.

post #6 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 381
What is a DTH box? Does it have an optical output?

Afro GT
post #7 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it does not have any optical outputs....I have gone thorugh each n every connectivity option and the only ones that are there are HDMI and 3.5 mm jack.
TV is currently attached to my DTH box...

...yeah, what is a DTH box?? Also, I went on Samsung's support site and did not find the model number that you posted. Can you check the number again? I found: UN46EH6030F and FXZA.
Bottom line here is that if in fact your TV does not offer the optical out, then you are forced to use the 3.5 stereo mini jack "out" of the TV, converted into a left right RCA jack, and "in" to the receiver as two channel.
If the receiver is dolby Digital, then you should be able to select PLLII, which will simulate a 5.1 effect from the original two one...and that is it.

BTW, Samsung's support site....when you select download manuals, a rather small box appears, and when scrolling along looking for a model number, it kind of runs backwards....haywire!!! It makes you wonder who is paying attention to important things for consumers...and I own and like Samsung products. They couldn't have made that part of their web site more miserable.

Espo77
post #8 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Here is the TV. I believe DTH is a type of set top satellite box.

Both the TV and DTH are products for India I believe.

post #9 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is the TV. I believe DTH is a type of set top satellite box.
Both the TV and DTH are products for India I believe.

Hook all sources that you can hook up digitally, from the source to the receiver for audio. If he must go from the TV back to the receiver, and the TV does not have digital out, then he is stuck going with the 3.5 mini out of the TV and in to the receiver's L and R audio in RCA's. Select PLLII. It will simulate a 5.1 effect from the original two channel.

Espo77
post #10 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I just looked up your TV and looked at the back panel. I can see the optical output is located right beneath the two HDMI jacks. In the spec list I do not see optical listed under 'Connectivity Options', but instead it's under 'Audio'.
Now whether or not your TV actually does have the optical output or not, I don't know. Not saying you're lying or anything. But the model TV you have is supposed to come with an optical output from everything I'm seeing.

you are correct wen u say that the images on the samsung's site show the optical output below HDMI ports, but the TV delivered has none. You can verify the same by comparing the model with any other higher end models on the site; there you will see that in the Digital output field its blank for this particular model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What is a DTH box? Does it have an optical output?

As Louquid pointed out, DTH is a set top box for cable television in India....the box which i am using currently does not have a digital output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Hook all sources that you can hook up digitally, from the source to the receiver for audio. If he must go from the TV back to the receiver, and the TV does not have digital out, then he is stuck going with the 3.5 mini out of the TV and in to the receiver's L and R audio in RCA's. Select PLLII. It will simulate a 5.1 effect from the original two channel.

What about HDMI switcher with digital coaxial output....will dat do any good???
post #11 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you are correct wen u say that the images on the samsung's site show the optical output below HDMI ports, but the TV delivered has none. You can verify the same by comparing the model with any other higher end models on the site; there you will see that in the Digital output field its blank for this particular model.
As Louquid pointed out, DTH is a set top box for cable television in India....the box which i am using currently does not have a digital output.
What about HDMI switcher with digital coaxial output....will dat do any good???

Perhaps that will work...deliver sound digitally from the TV on to the receiver, but I think what you will discover is that the TV "out" will only deliver two channel stereo, which as I stated before, you should be able to set your receiver to play PLLII...which takes any two channel program and plays it in a simulated 5.1 format. This is the best you're going to get.
Can you return the TV and get the one that works for your situation, because you've put yourself in a situation where you now have to go out and try to purchase more gear and more wires to make this work.
The least amount of wires and gear is most likely going to be more pleasing in the long run.

Espo77
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page