Pioneer sc 68 multi zone control with airplay - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am bit disappointed with the airplay setup from Pioneer not sure if all receivers are this way or just Pioneer? AirPlay only shows the pioneer elite sc 68 as one device which is not what I would have expected. I assumed before purchasing this unit that when I decided I wanted to use airplay on zone two it would show up as a second airplay device ( pioneer sc 68 zone 2).
This is a big problem for me with the pioneer because I have to physically turn off the main amplifier and select zone 2.I would prefer to be able to just select the zone I want to play airplay out of.If anyone has any information about this please chime in. Maybe I am completely missing something and I could program it to work with my control ( I am using roomie remote). Any feedback would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal1 View Post

I am bit disappointed with the airplay setup from Pioneer not sure if all receivers are this way or just Pioneer? AirPlay only shows the pioneer elite sc 68 as one device which is not what I would have expected. I assumed before purchasing this unit that when I decided I wanted to use airplay on zone two it would show up as a second airplay device ( pioneer sc 68 zone 2).
This is a big problem for me with the pioneer because I have to physically turn off the main amplifier and select zone 2.I would prefer to be able to just select the zone I want to play airplay out of.If anyone has any information about this please chime in. Maybe I am completely missing something and I could program it to work with my control ( I am using roomie remote). Any feedback would help.

you can use the icontrolav2012 app to select zone2 and turn off the main zone
post #3 of 5 Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

I don't want to use a second application.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-09-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

To sum things up. It looks like AirPlay is only assigned to zone one ,therefore there isn't a separate airplay icon showing up from another source like ITunes . I would've thought when you opened up your play on iTunes or whatever source that supports airplay. It would have shown up zone one for the pioneer and then zone two for the pioneer and then zone three for the pioneer. this way you'd be able to select separate AirPlay devices which I believe is the way it should be because each zone is basically a separate listening area ( speaker) If this is how you configured your amplifier to work.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal1 View Post

I don't want to use a second application.

I'm not sure exactly if I'm interpreting you correctly since I'm not an airplay user. that said, I think you may be misinterpreting how zones work in receivers.

using airplay with a device is still 1 connected device, is that not right? if so, then you're kind of expecting the receiver to work backwards, creating phantom devices for every zone. and receivers AFAIK don't work that way. each device, no matter if its a player, a cable box, an ipod, Pandora, is a single device not instances of the that device and the receiver acts as a matrix switcher to send the sources signals to the various zones using hard wired connections. and you can even have more than 1 device playing at same time, with 1 going to zone 1 and an other to zone 2.

it sounds like you're expecting the receiver to act like a PC with an OS, and while they are increasingly computer-like with firmware, they are not PC's or install multiple instances of a device. the way you'd like to interpret it, that would mean an ordinary player would get installed as a multiple devices for every zone & no such animal exists. using zone controls exist to direct the signals from a device to that specific zone.

you can use the remote, the front panel buttons or the i-app to do that. the i-app is easy to use, and you're only talking about a few seconds to turn on a zone and select the device wink.gif

AFAIK no receiver works the way you think it should. I'll do some checking in the Pioneer manual and if I find I'm wrong and there is a way, I'll post back.

but you can ask in the Denon 4520, 4311 & Onkyo 5010 threads since those are comparable flagship receivers. I could be wrong & maybe one of them will work your way smile.gif I know there are Denon owners who use airplay in those threads. if you find out one of them can, your input would be very helpful to other Pioneer SC model owners so please post how it works for you and what you find out in the SC-68 thread. this will help your fellow owners smile.gif

Steve
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page