Is it time for me to say "Good-Bye" to Lexicon? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't like to ask others to make decisions for me, but, I find myself in a position where I need to hear the experiences of others to help me move forward in the best direction.

My old Lexicon DC-1, after 15 years of faithful service, is starting to dye of old-age; the power supply is failing. Due to the age I do not want to repair it. My dilemma is whether to stay with Lexicon and buy a used MC-12, or, purchase a newer pre/pro, such as the Marantz 8801, and take advantage of features such as Audyssey room eq and the latest codecs.

Current or former Lexicon owners may be best to understand my position as I thoroughly enjoy what Logic7 processing does for DD and DTS. I don't see how the Marantz can sound as good as Logic7 on SD DVD's. The negative of purchasing an MC-12 Lexicon is that I will need to purchase a BlueRay player with internal decoding and 5.1 analog outs, and the additional cables. I will also need to purchase at least a sub EQ separately.

If I go with the Marantz 8801 I can simply connect my PS3 via HDMI and have one cable, and no additional blueray player purchase., and no need to purchase an external sub EQ.

The question is how does the DD and DTS in the 8801 compare to the Lexicon DD and DTS processed with their Logic7? Is the Audyssey room EQ something really worth having vs only using an external sub EQ (anti-mode) with the Lexicon?

Last question: will using analog cables from an internally decoding blueray player into the 5.1 analog bypass inputs of the Lexicon give up anything to a direct HDMI digital connection as used by the Marantz 8801?

I do not want to pay the price for an MC12 HD so that is not an option. It comes down to:

Option A. Marantz 8801

includes Audyssey EQ, HDMI input, processing of latest codecs, able to use existing PS3 BlueRay player. Also includes many other features which I may or may not use.

Option B. Used Lexicon MC-12

includes ability to apply Logic7
requires the purchase of anti-mode sub EQ, new blueray player with 5.1 analog out, purchase of 6 new analog cables

The only reason I can see to stay with Lexicon is Logic7. Considering that my DC-1 is from 1999; does the standard DD and DTS processing on the newer units like the Marantz 8801 sound as good as the older Logic7 processing?

Thanks for reading this rather lengthy post; any comments will be greatly appreciated.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-09-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
you could buy my DC-1 smile.gif been meaning to list it one of these days...
post #3 of 9 Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was in the exact same position a few weeks ago. My Lexicon is still working fine however. I wanted to try the new loss less codecs but I didn't want to spend $8K (down from $12K) on a MC12HD. The MC series is a 10+ year old platform with "upgraded" loss less audio codecs. So I was thinking of the Marantz or an Outlaw 975. I figured I would try the Outlaw 975 pre/pro first. You can go to the Outlaw 975 thread and read the comparison to my Lexicon but needless to say it outperforms my lossy Lexicon in almost every way. The sound is detailed and warm and sounds better than any DTS/DD did from my Lexicon. The Logic 7 I agree is really special but the Outlaw does the same thing with PLIIx processing. Now Logic 7 vs PLIIx ... I say the Logic 7 does sound a tad bit smoother than the PLIIx processing but the Outlaws amazing detail makes it rarely missed. smile.gif

As for 5.1 analog into a pre/pro vs HDMI, it comes down to which has the better DACs and analog output section. I would imagine there are some Blu-Ray players (Oppo, etc) that have excellent analog outputs and you might not notice much difference between the two. In my experience the pre/pros I have used have always done a better job of the DtoA conversion so I have always used a digital connection. YMMV smile.gif

Of course if you really wanted to keep the Lexicon you can find the power supply at various places on line for ~$50.

JVC RS-40U Screening Room and Listening Room -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Harman Kardon makes AV receivers with Logic 7.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophil View Post

You can go to the Outlaw 975 thread and read the comparison to my Lexicon but needless to say it outperforms my lossy Lexicon in almost every way.

Is that comparison with the Lexicon playing the higher bitrate lossy tracks on BD's?

See below

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451073/how-much-of-a-difference-with-hd-sound-codecs/0_50#post_22813175

Noah
post #6 of 9 Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use a Lexicon MC-12 V5EQ with internal room correction and a blueray player connected using the 5.1 analog input.
I think it works very well and that it sounds excellent.

The only thing is that I would like to have a 7.1 input instead of the 5.1 but I think that Logic 7 makes up for some of the loss.

It is also a bit inconvenient to have to switch channels for audio and video separately for HDMI sources but I think that the cost
of updating to a MC12HD in order to avoid this is just to large.

My five cents is to upgrade to a MC-12 V5EQ which can be had for a reasonable price.

/Ingvar
post #7 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I decided to stay with Lexicon; I bought a pre-owned MC-12B v5EQ. I can't wait to receive it and place it into my system. Now a question for those that have experience:

Comparing using an optical cable from a blueray player to using 5.1 analog into the lexicon; should I expect a significant difference in the sound quality? I would need to purchase a new blueray player to accommodate this type of set-up.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

I decided to stay with Lexicon; I bought a pre-owned MC-12B v5EQ. I can't wait to receive it and place it into my system. Now a question for those that have experience:

Comparing using an optical cable from a blueray player to using 5.1 analog into the lexicon; should I expect a significant difference in the sound quality? I would need to purchase a new blueray player to accommodate this type of set-up.

By using optical from the BD player into the Lexicon you would not be listening to the "full HD" soundtrack from the Blu-ray disc. I believe it might be due to bandwidth limitations, but most BD players will only output the "core" Dolby Digital or DTS soundtracks over optical in lieu of the "full" True HD/Master Audio tracks. To experience the full sound potential of BD with the Lexicon you will want to connect using 5.1 analog, which places the responsibility for decoding duties on the BD player.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I haven't made the comparison myself, but it is my understanding that BDs are authored using higher rate DD and DTS lossy, and that in blind testing these were indistinguishable from the lossless. BUut FWIW< I prefer to know I'm using the lossless soundtrack . . .
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page