Video from hdmi source, sound from another source. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have many considerations for my new avr. However I am finding that the ability to view video from my cable box via hdmi (box--> avr--> tv), and listening to audio via optical from another source is a primary concern. Connecting component cables is not an option.

I know this subject has been covered before, but the treads on this site and others have died without confirming the information I need.

It is my understanding that Onkyo avr's can achieve this. Although I have not been able to fully confirm that the audio was from an optical source. I understand that only one digital audio/video source can be selected. But which avr's can output hdmi video and digital only audio at the same time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Denon can. You can assign a digital coax or optical to an input where HDMI is also assigned. Just did in on my 1613. Also tried it on the 591 in my bedroom.

You have to go into the setup menu and Inputs to change the digital assignments. You can set it to Optical, Coaxial or NONE. When set to None the HDMI audio will come thru.

Kind of a pain in the butt to do that each time you want to listen to optical from another source instead of the cable box. Plus the Denon models 2113 and below only have 1 optical input, so hope you don't have many optical devices.

You can't watch video thru the HDMI input and listen to internet radio, Airplay, tuner, or USB input at the same time though. That seems to bug many people.

Afro GT
post #3 of 13 Old 01-21-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. It's nice that denon has that option (or workaround). It seems a little much to do something I do almost everyday: tv and music.

If Onkyo can do it so easy, why can't more manufactures allow hdtv video and audio-only digital-in output at the same time? I find it frustrating and fascinating.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 790
I can confirm that both the denon 1611 and onkyo 809 can do this....as I do it all the time with my avr's biggrin.gif

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why you wouldn't want to join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum
post #5 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Since the digital optical/coaxial audio inputs are reassignable on any AV receiver I know of, you can do this specific scenario with any AV receiver. It's just going to be pain like afrogt described as you need to ressign the opticial/coaxial audio jack and then select the optical/coaxial audio in preference to the HDMI audio.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

Since the digital optical/coaxial audio inputs are reassignable on any AV receiver I know of, you can do this specific scenario with any AV receiver. It's just going to be pain like afrogt described as you need to ressign the opticial/coaxial audio jack and then select the optical/coaxial audio in preference to the HDMI audio.

I had the Yamaha RX-V473 and it cannot do this. And reading through other Yamaha receiver manuals, they could not either. They could play radio only at the same time with HDMI. HDMI and any other input could not be combined.

It seems only Onkyo makes it easy: Switching from your HDMI video source to an audio only source, the video remains and audio switches. Of course two HDMI sources are never allowed at the same time.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapala View Post

I had the Yamaha RX-V473 and it cannot do this. And reading through other Yamaha receiver manuals, they could not either. They could play radio only at the same time with HDMI. HDMI and any other input could not be combined.

It seems only Onkyo makes it easy: Switching from your HDMI video source to an audio only source, the video remains and audio switches. Of course two HDMI sources are never allowed at the same time.

This thread is a week old, man. But good info anyways.

You can do this with a Pioneer as well too.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

This thread is a week old, man. But good info anyways.

You can do this with a Pioneer as well too.

Yeah I know wink.gif . I'm in the market, receiver-less, and I'm getting frustrated.

How easy is it to do with the Pioneer? I thought I read through the manuals and found that it couldn't be done. I'm probably wrong though since my brain is so jumbled with model numbers and specs.

And I need to buy a new full sized copy machine. Try to find accurate information on one of those on the internet!
post #9 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM

Liked: 19
I'm not 100% sure it works, but I remember that when setting up an input, you could change where the audio came from, like from OPT-1 or COAX-1.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapala View Post

The Yamaha RX-V473 supports it exactly as I described. You can reassign any of the optical or coaxial jacks to any of the video inputs (HDMI 1-4, AV 1-2). It's explained in the manaul ([Option] -> Audio In) in the section just before where you found the instructions to assign a video jack to the radio input.

All Yamaha receivers support reassigning the optical and coaxial input jacks to any of the video inputs. The low end and mid range models also support assigning the analogue audio input jacks to the video inputs.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-30-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

The Yamaha RX-V473 supports it exactly as I described. You can reassign any of the optical or coaxial jacks to any of the video inputs (HDMI 1-4, AV 1-2). It's explained in the manaul ([Option] -> Audio In) in the section just before where you found the instructions to assign a video jack to the radio input.

All Yamaha receivers support reassigning the optical and coaxial input jacks to any of the video inputs. The low end and mid range models also support assigning the analogue audio input jacks to the video inputs.

Ok I see now. So AV1 and AV4 on the RX-473 have optical in. I can assign the HDMI1 input to audio AV1. Right? Then no matter what, HDMI audio will not play when HDMI1 is selected, only what is input to AV1?

If this is correct, it's nice that there is a workaround, but these recivers should be able to easily select an alternate audio source.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-30-2013, 08:33 PM

Liked: 10
Last msg on this was almost a year ago. I can too confirm that it is doable with Pioneer, but it is a pain to do every time this is needed since it needs to be done through setup and also needs to be switched back in order to get sound back. Is it easier with Onkyo or any other newer AVR and a programmable remote?
post #13 of 13 Old 01-02-2014, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

The onkyo receivers work perfectly for what I was trying to do. I love my 818.

To watch tv and listen to music, all you have to do it select the hdmi source first for the video, then select an audio-only source like the optical-in cd source. The hdmi will stay playing video and the audio will change. I have an Apple TV connected to the optical source (also with hdmi for video with audio to another input) and can stream audio from itunes while watching a game.

No receiver can output two hdmi sources at one time and others have complicated workarounds but onkyo is the simplest.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page