Need help putting together a home theater system. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. Been a long while since I posted, but I'm finally in the right situation to upgrade my ht equipment.

Here's my scenario:
My living room is 12' x 16' x8', that's where the system will be.
My habits are 70% video games, 30% movies and TV, music when I clean the house.
My TV is a basic 40" toshiba lcd. It works fine for now. I'll upgrade that later on as prices come down a bit more on 60-70" sets.

My budget is $1000 for a speaker set, sub woofer and receiver. The budget is not absolute; I can probably go $200-300 more, but only if there's a big jump in quality over the $1000 system.

What I've turned up on my own:
Receiver:
I don't need any air play or ipod features. At least two component inputs are a must for my wii (I don't want to mess with the wii2hdmi thing) and PS2 (yep, still rockin a ps2!).
5+ hdmi inputs work for me.
I only need a 5.1 receiver, but wont limit myself to buying only a 5.1 receiver if a 7.1 meets my needs.
Sound quality and reliability are paramount.
I much prefer a receiver with binding posts for banana plugs instead of the spring ports.

Two I'm looking at are the Yamaha RX-V473 and the Sony STRDN1030. The sony has a bit more power and cnet said it was on par with last year's reference receiver so I'm leaning a bit towards that one, but I do have reservations about sony; the tv I got in my previous thread died after 13 months (horizontal bands). I'd rather not mess with an onkyo unless their hdmi issues are resolved. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Speakers:
Originally I was going to get the Energy Take 5.1 Set, but further reading led me to believe I can get a better sounding system overall by getting the Energy Take 5 Piece Set without Subwoofer and a separate sub. Then with a bit more reading I found I can get even better sound performance by going with two sets of Polk Monitor 30's, a Polk CS2 Center Speaker and a separate sub.

Subwoofer:
I'm really lost here.
I'm not sure if I can grab any sub and have confidence it will work with my speaker package, so any input here is greatly appreciated.
200 watts rms or better would be ideal for me. I was originally pleased to hear that the energy take 5.1 system came with a 200 watt sub, but that's peak power; the rms is only 50 watts.

Other:
14awg speaker wire, banana plugs, hdmi cables, etc, all that will be gotten from monoprice.

So what home theater system would you build for $1000?
Thanks in advance. smile.gif
I hope to make my purchases by the end of the month so I'll update as I go along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
A Denon 1712 would meet your requirements ....

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1712/DENON-AVR-1712-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 01:40 AM

My current home theater system hook for a 10'X 10' is a Sony 175 DX up to a 5.1 surround sound for $280.

There is a sale going on now on the Sony site for a 7.1 Channel 3D Receiver for $250. Also, either

1) small Woofer & Tweeter=$70
2) 2 Center & 1 tweeter=$100
3)2 Bookshelf speakers (medium size woofer & tweeter) =$150
4)Floor standing speakers=$200 each.
5)Power Sub-woofer=$250 each.

All together including shipping may cost you around $700, but that is a small price to pay for quality sound.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.
Maybe I shouldn't make threads at 2am! tongue.gif

jdsmoothie, that denon is nice, and it would fit my needs. Hopefully it's still around when I go shopping. It's a real shame denon removed the component inputs from their xx13 models. Only the 1913 has a single component input. Bad move imho.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page