Dynamic Range Control - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, color me dumb but I have a very basic question. I have had my receiver (Pioneer Elite) and bluray player (Sony) for about a year now. Recently, my wife has started to really get aggitated by the sudden and loud booms during action movies. This seems especially bad when watching movies on bluray. Problem is, if I turn it down, I can't hear the dialogue between action scenes.

So I did some research and found that DRC is likely what will help my case. I looked at the manual and saw that the options are Auto, Max, Mid, and Off. Not really sure how to interpret these settings. And one more thing; how is DRC different from Midnight mode? Is one option better between these two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 View Post

Okay, color me dumb but I have a very basic question. I have had my receiver (Pioneer Elite) and bluray player (Sony) for about a year now. Recently, my wife has started to really get aggitated by the sudden and loud booms during action movies. This seems especially bad when watching movies on bluray. Problem is, if I turn it down, I can't hear the dialogue between action scenes.

So I did some research and found that DRC is likely what will help my case. I looked at the manual and saw that the options are Auto, Max, Mid, and Off. Not really sure how to interpret these settings. And one more thing; how is DRC different from Midnight mode? Is one option better between these two?

DRC is what you're looking for and basically you should choose between Mid and Max. I would start with Mid, see if it helps and if not, try Max. I am not sure about 'midnight mode' in your receiver.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 1922
Note that DRC may only apply to DD TrueHD audio tracks (at least that is the case on Denon and Marantz AVRs).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page