Please help with my new Denon 1713...... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hey guys. I just got a new Denon 1713 a couple of days ago. The only reason I bought it is because of the Audyssey Mult EQ XT. I have 2 polk tsi 500s and a cs20 center hooked up to it right now. No sub or surrounds yet. I have a few questions.

Why can't I adjust the settings more after the setup is run? Mult EQ XT shuts itself off if I do this. I dont want my front speakers set to large, I want them set to small, and I don't want the crossover set to 40hz. I want it at 60 or 80hz. It lets me adjust the dialogue without turning the mult eq xt off so thats not a problem. I'm worried that when I set up my surrounds (tsi 200s) I'm not going to be able to turn them up louder without mult eq xt shutting itself off. I also can not adjust the bass and treble settings wihtout mult eq xt turning itself off.

Does the fact I don't have a sub and surrounds hooked up have anyhting to do with this? Like if I did, would be able to change the settings without mult eq xt shutting itself off? This is my first avr with mult eq xt, my Onkyo 509 just had 2EQ. Can anyone offer some insight into this and help me out? If I can't further adjust the settings like speakers large or small, crossover, channel level, bass and treble after audyessey has been run, I don't want to keep the Denon 1713. Theres no point of keeping it if Mult EQ XT, which is what I bought it for, shuts itself off.

Can someone help me please. Is somehting wrong with my AVR or can you just not adjust too many setting without Mult EQ XT shutting itself off? If so, what can you adjust that has no bearing on the room correction?

Thanks guys. As of now, I'm disappointed and having extreme buyers remorse.

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Auralex Great Gramma/MoPAD
Logitech Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405 View Post

Hey guys. I just got a new Denon 1713 a couple of days ago. The only reason I bought it is because of the Audyssey Mult EQ XT. I have 2 polk tsi 500s and a cs20 center hooked up to it right now. No sub or surrounds yet. I have a few questions.

Why can't I adjust the settings more after the setup is run? Mult EQ XT shuts itself off if I do this. I dont want my front speakers set to large, I want them set to small, and I don't want the crossover set to 40hz. I want it at 60 or 80hz. It lets me adjust the dialogue without turning the mult eq xt off so thats not a problem. I'm worried that when I set up my surrounds (tsi 200s) I'm not going to be able to turn them up louder without mult eq xt shutting itself off. I also can not adjust the bass and treble settings wihtout mult eq xt turning itself off.

Does the fact I don't have a sub and surrounds hooked up have anyhting to do with this? Like if I did, would be able to change the settings without mult eq xt shutting itself off? This is my first avr with mult eq xt, my Onkyo 509 just had 2EQ. Can anyone offer some insight into this and help me out? If I can't further adjust the settings like speakers large or small, crossover, channel level, bass and treble after audyessey has been run, I don't want to keep the Denon 1713. Theres no point of keeping it if Mult EQ XT, which is what I bought it for, shuts itself off.

Can someone help me please. Is somehting wrong with my AVR or can you just not adjust too many setting without Mult EQ XT shutting itself off? If so, what can you adjust that has no bearing on the room correction?

Thanks guys. As of now, I'm disappointed and having extreme buyers remorse.

Try to do a microprocessor reset. Look up procedures in the Manual.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 04:53 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Correct. With no sub in your setup, the FL/FR speakers must default to LARGE as there is no place to send the lower bass frequencies. Bass/treble adjustment can only be done by disabling Dyn EQ.

For more info on your 1713, review posts #3-6 in the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Nothing wrong with your receiver at all, buy a subwoofer and Audyssey will work exactly the way you want.

Every receiver I've seen will set the fronts to LARGE if you have no sub.

Afro GT
post #5 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Or try this.

Go into the Audyssey manual settings and lie and say you have a sub in the speaker setup section. See if you can then change the fronts to small and set the crossovers the way you want.

I really don't see the point of this though. Are you against getting a subwoofer?

Afro GT
post #6 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

I am not against getting a subwoofer at all. biggrin.gif I am dying to get one, but due to lack of space and funds right now, I need to wait a while until I can get one. I can fit a small one sure, but I want an SVS PB 12 Plus or something of that caliber and budget. I don't want to waste money on a crappy sub.

I can set my crossovers where I want them now without Mult EQ XT shutting off, but since it has my tsi 500s at full range, nothing is going to happen obviously. If I lie and switch my speakers to small, Mult EQ XT is no longer engaged under the Audyssey settings. Does anyone happen to know that it just disengages when I switch it to small because the Mult EQ XT settings are set for my speakers being set to large? And changing them to small Audyessey must be like "We didn't measure and correct this system with a sub because we didnt detect one, so we cant apply the filters we had, so Mult EQ XT can't be applied." If this is the case, I understand how Mult EQ XT would be turned off.

As for the tone adjustment, or bass and treble, Tone adjustment can't work unless Dynamic EQ is off. I would assume that Dynamic EQ is better than me just adjusting the bass and treble myself. Does anyone have any opinions on switching Dynamic EQ on or off? Audyessey is still engaged whether it's on or off, so I assume people are just going to say play around with it and whatever sounds better to me go for?

As for why I'd want to cheat and lie to Audyessey: I live with roommates and have my system set up in my bedroom. I don't want all the low sounds coming out and bothering anyone, so I'd opt to have my speakers crossed over at60Hz or higher at this point in time. If the only way I can do this is to disable Mult EQ XT, than I'll live with it.

Sorry for the long response. My main concern is that when I have a proper 5.1 setup hooked up, will I be able to switch my main speakers to small without Mult EQ XT shutting off?? Will it work properly and I just have to wait until I have a proper setup? or am I just worrying too much? eek.gif Sorry, I just want to know that I bought a good product. Can anyone confrm if you can change the speaker configuration to all small without Mult EQ XT shutting itself off?

Thanks again in advance for any help.

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Logitech Harmony One
post #7 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well all I can say is I have 3 Denon receivers and three 5.1 setups and Audyssey works properly on all of them. Two have MultiEQ and one has MultEQ XT. All have the fronts set as small and yes I have a subwoofer. MultEQ or XT is still turned on.

The problem is that you're missing a subwoofer if you don't want your front speakers set to LARGE. Fix that issue and you'll be golden.

Afro GT
post #8 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

OK. Thanks for the reply. I'm new to Mult Eq XT like I mentioned earlier. I didn't know if thats how its supposed to work.

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Logitech Harmony One
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1713 Receiver