HTPC to AV Receiver- Will I get proper surround?\ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. New to the forums here and hoping I can get some help. I'm pretty damn confused.

I'm currently planning on setting up a new home theater system. My PC will be the main, probably only, thing connected to the AV receiver.

I run GTX 580 graphics card and am planning on connecting my computer to the AV receiver (an Onkyo TX-NR515, if that makes a difference) via HDMI from the GTX 580.

Now, I was hoping that would be that but I've read a few things that have confused me. Apparently the GTX 580 is incapable of "bitstreaming". Does that mean that I will not get proper surround if I use the 580 for audio and video?

I don't entirely understand bitstreaming but if I'm correct it means to send raw, untouched, high definition audio straight through the card to the receiver. The AV receiver then does all the work in regard to surround sound.

But because the 580 can't do bitstream, does that mean that this setup would be incapable of doing proper surround sound, 5.1 or 7.2, Dolby Digital or DTS?

Thank you for any help you can offer. I'm new to this stuff and doing my best but this particular issue has my head spinnin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

f there is no way to properly connect the GTX 580 to the AV receiver for proper surround sound my motherboard is a Asus P8P67 Pro REV 3.0 which has optical (S/PDIF, I think it's called) out. Would that work?

Is there any way to connect that to the AV receiver for proper DD and DTS audio?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It appears that your graphics card will bitstream just fine using HDMI with one caveat ;;

3 - Support for HDMI including GPU accelerated Blu-ray 3D support (Blu-ray 3D playback requires the purchase of a compatible software player from CyberLink, ArcSoft, Corel, or Sonic), x.v.Color, HDMI Deep Color, and 7.1 digital surround sound will be added in a Release 260 driver. Upgrade your GPU to full 3D capability with NVIDIA 3DTV Play software, enabling 3D gaming, picture viewing and 3D web video streaming. See www.nvidia.com/3dtv for more details.

7.1 digital surround sound isn't supported yet. But, most content isn't using 7 discreet channels for playback anyhow... so I doubt it would even matter.

You should be good to go with your video card.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!

Ok, so basically I can't do anything 3D or anything 7.1 or above?

I'm not familiar with any 260 drivers

The most up to date Nvidia drivers, which 'm currently running, are the 310.90 drivers.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
You really should post this in the HTPC forum, but no, your 580 will NOT bitstream HD audio over HDMI. If your software player will decode the HD audio, such as TMT , PowerDVD, or WinDVD, then you can send it to your receiver as 7.1 channel PCM, which will be lossless, and at least theoretically the same quality as Dolby TrueHD, or DTS HD-Master. You can use optical, but it will only give you 2.0 channel PCM, or lossy 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page