Speaker Configuration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the Yamaha RX-V673 and I originally had a Marantz 5.1 setup. I have purchased 2 extra speakers so I can configure a 7.1 configuration and my question is where is the best location for the 2 additional speakers? Also I have seen in the manual that you can have 5 speakers in the front with 4 in the back of the room plus 2 subwoofers. How is this possible with a 7.2 system? Are some of the speakers turned off by different settings?

Thank you in advance,

Nomadtech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtech View Post

I just bought the Yamaha RX-V673 and I originally had a Marantz 5.1 setup. I have purchased 2 extra speakers so I can configure a 7.1 configuration and my question is where is the best location for the 2 additional speakers? Also I have seen in the manual that you can have 5 speakers in the front with 4 in the back of the room plus 2 subwoofers. How is this possible with a 7.2 system? Are some of the speakers turned off by different settings?

Thank you in advance,

Nomadtech

You would have your FCR up front, SL/SR right about where your main seating area is, and the SBL/SBR behind your seating area. Then the subs, really depends on your environment, but typically would up front as well. Some put one up front and one in the back to balance out, but it's up to you and the environment on what works best.

As far as the "9.2" setup, the 673 is not capable of "9.2". It's saying you would have front left and right presence speakers in addition to your SBL/SBR speakers. Then depending on the Cimena DSP setting, the AVR will use either the FP or SB speakers, but not both at the same time.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much.

I would like to explain how my room is set up and my current speaker placement and ask for recommendations. My speaker placement has never been ideal because I couldn't configure my living room they way I want to (married smile.gif ) I have the rear surround speakers mounted in the left and right corners of the room at 6' from the ground with the couch up against that wall centered between the speakers. now the part I don't like, My TV with the front LCR speakers are in the left corner of the room because we have a large window on the wall directly across from the couch. So my 3 front speakers are in the lower shelf under my 55" TV. Is this the best configuration option that I have without rearranging the room (because that is not an option) and as I mentioned above I want to add two more speakers to make it 7.1. I hope I was clear in the description.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 PM

From what you describe, that's gonna be tough. Pictures might help, but from what I gather, your main seating area has the SL/SR on either side and then your LCR are under your TV in a shelf and they are off angle to the left? So almost like below?

L Corner***WINDOW***R Corner
TV
LCR

SL**********Couch**********SR
post #5 of 10 Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

That is correct. Also to make it a little for difficult to the left of the TV is a fire place and the floor is concrete slab. So wiring has been a challenge for me as well.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 PM

Not sure if you're going to enjoy a 7.1 config with that setup...that's going to be a tough one.

Maybe if you can post some pics of the room, others might have some ideas. But like you said you're limited by marriage. I would say **** it and reconfigure the room to accommodate the 7.1. If she doesn't like it, set her up with a TV in another room.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Highdef,

I figured there weren't many options without moving everything around. I appreciate your help.

Nomadtech
post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

I have decided to go with the 7.1 setup and make due with what I have even though it will not be the ideal setup but I have another question.

I am going with the set up below but my question is with the rear speakers (LB & RB). They are in the corners of the back wall 6' from the floor should I leave them there or put them on stands and put them on the right and left of the back of the couch or even behind the couch. I cannot move the couch from the wall. If I can at all it would only be 1 foot.

L Corner******WINDOW*****R Corner
TV
LCR

LS RS
LB *********couch******** RB

Or should I put the LB and RB behind the couch like below. (the couch is up against the wall). The speakers would be just above and behind the couch on stands. The LS and the RS are aligned with your body on the couch on the right and left wall at ear level.

L Corner ********WINDOW********R Corner
TV
LCR

LS******************************RS
**********Couch**********
LB*******************RB
post #9 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Skip the 7.1 and just go with the 5.1 as with the current configuration you have no room for "rear" speakers. Stange though that you have a fireplace to the left of the couch with the couch at a 90 degree angle to the fireplace. confused.gif I would think you would want the couch facing the fireplace or at even more ideally at a 45 degree angle pointing directly at the TV (angling the TV to face the couch of course) to take advantage of the fireplace view and the TV too. With this configuration you would then have room behind the couch for the "rear" speakers in a 7.1 setup.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10 of 10 Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page