3 Ohm Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know this question has been asked many times in many variations but i'm gonna take a chance and ask again.

I have some 3 ohm speakers that came with a Samsung Home Theatre setup and recently i picked up a Pioneer VSX1022-K AV Receiver from a friend who was in need of the cash. I believe the receiver is 6-16 Ohms. I don't plan on driving the speakers hard so, can i use them with the Pioneer without too much harm to the speakers or receiver?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-11-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post

I know this question has been asked many times in many variations but i'm gonna take a chance and ask again.

I have some 3 ohm speakers that came with a Samsung Home Theatre setup and recently i picked up a Pioneer VSX1022-K AV Receiver from a friend who was in need of the cash. I believe the receiver is 6-16 Ohms. I don't plan on driving the speakers hard so, can i use them with the Pioneer without too much harm to the speakers or receiver?

Shouldn't be a problem.

(1) The receiver's 6-16 ohm rating is for pure sustained sine waves on a test bench driving a resistive load. Real music places far fewer demands on the power supply, heat sink, output transistors, etc.

(2) Speakers don't have the same impedance at all frequencies and they generally have higher than specified impedance over much of the audio band.

(3) In typical use, you don't run the receiver right at full full power. Even a few dB less than full power cuts the receiver a big break.

(4) Music is impulsive and varying and generally needs only a fraction of the amp's maximum power most of the time, even if hypercompressed or clipped.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Arnold smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page