Can Audyssey or YPAO help this room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know that these systems are primarily used for "tuning" Home Theater installations. But, I am wondering of Audyssey or YPAO, in a new Receiver, would be useful for Room which is roughly square, with 2.0 or 2.1 opposite the listening Couch - but with no "right-hand" wall at all. "S" designates the 2.0 "front speaker locations. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Ofcourse it will help, if you have a 5.1 or greater setup. it is designed to give you the best listening calibration for your specific room. I used it in mine and it is kind of similar to yours. It made an awesome improvement. Mind you ,you must have descent speakers and configuration placement as well. But in your case since you are only using 2 front speakers it won't help much.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #3 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

It will never become 5.1, because there is no place to mount the right rear speaker. The placement must be as shown: too close to the left wall (due to WAF). Speakers will probably be Ascend "Sierra-1 NrT", with use of Ascend's baffle plugs to reduce wall unit cabinet interactions with the Base-Ported design.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-12-2013, 02:33 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Although in a 5.1 setup, the surrounds are generally to the "sides" or slightly to the rear of the main listening position, certainly nothing wrong with mounting them to the rear wall at each end of the couch and about 3' above the main listening position if you really wanted a 5.1 setup. Also an Auto EQ program will work on on a 2.0, 2.1, or 3.0, 3.1 setup. Also if TV/movies make up most of your listening, a center speaker of at least equal quality as the FL/FR speakers is also recommended as the center channel is where 85% of the diaologue comes from.
rickst29 likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 5 Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

jdsmoothie: thanks, a perfect explanation of possibilities!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page