Question on setting up my equipment, b&w cm9, marantz sr7005, and external amp. What would yield the best result? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I have done some searching through google and this forum itself. I still have a few questions that I think you guys could provide the answers to. If i have overlooked something please just provide the link. No need to flame. I have recently picked up a 5.1 setup and have it hooked up like this: The surrounds and center are powered by the receiver. For the fronts, I have the receiver going into the external amp (an old Aragon 4004 200w/ channel that my dad had laying around) and the amp going into the speaker. First off, does the power add together from the pre amp and the amp to make 300w per channel in the front if my receiver puts out 100w/channel? Or does the speaker only receive the power from the amp, which would be 200w per channel? With that said, would it be better with the set up I have now or to biwire with the extra two channels from the receiver? I am only using the external amp (which is almost 20 years old) just because my dad doesn't want it to go to waste, but I don't want to do this if I can get better quality sound from just the receiver.

I realize this may sound remedial or really dumb to some of you, but I am new to this hobby and am loving it! I feel like I don't have to go the the movie theater anymore. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-13-2013, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
1. The power does not add together. You hook RCA cables from the receiver to the amp. The RCAs only carry the signal, no power. You then hook speaker wire from the amp to the speakers.

2. I would leave it as you have it now. That Aragon will probably do a better job of powering your cm9's than the receiver.
I don't think you would benefit from biwiring.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-13-2013, 06:54 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
Welcome to AVS Forum! smile.gif

Bi-wiring isn't going to be of any benefit and although the external amp is more powerful, the 7005 is likely more than sufficient to power your setup without adding the additional amp. Those speakers on average will draw only about 5W/CH let alone anywhere near the max 100W advertised. Give it a try both ways and use the configuration that works best for you. No sense in a higher electric bill if there is no additional benefit with using the external amp.

Note also there is a dedicated thread for SR7005 Owners which you may want to review for more helpful information ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1270579/the-official-marantz-sr7005-receiver-page/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page