New Yamaha RX-V573 - ARC and "handshake" problems in new AV set up? Considering return of unit, please help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,
I upgraded my system with a new RX-V573 AV receiver, a Panasonic GT50 plasma, and a Panasonic BDT-220 BD player.

For some reason, I have two issues:
-When I turn on the unit, it doesn't always "handshake" with the HDMI connection the first time, and I have to power-on and poweroff the unit to get the connection.
-Also, the ARC connection seems very iffy -- it doesn't seem to "connect" unless I enter the setup screen of the receiver and re-select the ARC option, even if I don't actually change it.

I have updated the firmware on the receiver already.

These issues are persistent enough that I am wondering whether my receiver is a bad unit, and whether I should exchange it.

Can anyone offer their thoughts or recommendations? This is annoying, and I appreciate your help,

jeffrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have a 473 (same guts, more or less) and I gave up on using ARC with my LG 55LM7600 smart TV. It was such a hassle that I just bought an optical cable to send audio from the TV to the receiver. Operationally it's no more of a hassle since you still need to switch inputs on the receiver to get ARC audio anyway.

On the handshake issue, my suggestion would be to try turning the components on in different orders. Maybe you can make it work. I don't have that issue with mine (inputs include a Time Warner HD-DVR, Sony Blu-ray player and Xbox 360) but different components work differently.

Also make sure you're using the latest high-speed HDMI cables, etc., etc.

post #3 of 13 Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the reply JBWIII. I actually wound up returning the AVR, and the replacement unit has the same problems. So, I've ordered replacement cables to see if that makes a difference, and will use an optical line if need be. I just get annoyed because, as you know, ARC should work, and I don't like things that don't work.

As for the handshake issue, I noticed that that only kicks in if I activate "HDMI control" on the receiver. If I don't, I can freely turn on and off components with wild abandon. Can you (or anyone else) clarify what this function does? Is it necessary? the manual is murky.

Also, my kingdom for a clear explanation of the "scene" function? Course, I have a nonexistent kingdom.

Thanks again.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

SCENE does one main thing, and one ancillary thing. The main thing is that it ties an input and certain audio settings to each SCENE button. You could, for example, set your TV scene to be your cable box, plus a DSP mode (sports, for example). Your BD/DVD scene would be your Blu-ray player, perhaps with different audio settings. Also, when you press a SCENE button, the receiver automatically turns on and selects that scene. If you have HDMI control enabled, it might also turn on the input device (and maybe even the TV?), but I disabled all of those features so I'm not sure.

The ancillary thing that SCENE does, if you set it up correctly, is to program the remote so that the source power button controls the input device associated with the scene mode. So if I hit TV on my remote, the receiver comes on in TV scene, then if I hit the source power, it turns on the cable box. Ditto for the BD/DVD scene--it would turn the Blu-ray on.

I have my scenes set up as I described, but since I don't use different audio settings for different inputs, I don't find it all that useful. If you can remember which inputs are which, it's probably less confusing to just change inputs the old fashioned way.

post #5 of 13 Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again! Do you happen to know anything about setting speaker impedance? Here's the deal: I have different impedances for the front (6 ohms) speakers than for the center and rears (8 ohms). I know the manual indicates you can set impedance, but it doesn't say whether you can set different impedances for different speakers.

Does this even really matter?

Thanks again for your assistance.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 PM

I am having a similar issues. I thought it was due to the HDMI connectors in the Keystones from monoprice or the Stellar Labs 24-10992 6FT V1.4 HDMI Rt-Flat Inwall 28AWG; 3D W/Ethernet; CL3 cable that I used in the wall. I have a TiVo premere and a Vizio 60 hooked up to the Yamaha 573 right now. Let me know if you already did the software / usb update.

Thanks!

John
post #7 of 13 Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGolem View Post

Thanks again! Do you happen to know anything about setting speaker impedance? Here's the deal: I have different impedances for the front (6 ohms) speakers than for the center and rears (8 ohms). I know the manual indicates you can set impedance, but it doesn't say whether you can set different impedances for different speakers.

Does this even really matter?

Thanks again for your assistance.

nope, doesn't matter smile.gif. both speaker impedance probably dip in the 4omhs anyway. A 4ohms nominal load could be problematic, not 6 or 8. some receivers are finicky with ARC. My previous 2 receivers (Pioneer) were very moody with ARC. HDMI control has to be on and the powering up and down had to be in a certain order. Could be the same for your Yammy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 AM

The Yamaha RX-V573 has several bugs and I would not recommend based on the following:

[*] Multiroom - at low volumes the unit powers down when using two zones (admiditly I am using a monoprice speaker selector for three zones but the speakers are small)
[*] HDMI ARC works about 40% of the time and is more fustrating than I can explain
[*] NetRadio is nice but GUI is poor

I purchased at fry's and it will probably be a hassle to return so I will sell on eBay or use in garage.

If anyone has some recomdations for multi zone reciever less than $600 please share.

Thanks!
John
post #9 of 13 Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

I just posted re: the same ARC issue in the forum for my new TV, the Panny GT50:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGolem View Post

Right here, man!

I JUST got my GT50-65 on Saturday and was logging on here because I have not been able to get a consistent ARC feed back to my (also just purchased) Yamaha RX-V573 AVR.

I have tried everything, including returning the Yamaha for a new unit because I thought the problem was there (not so, apparently). I have tried swapping out new HDMI cables, I even added the optical cable -- nothing seems to work. 9 times out of 10 I get no audio feed from TV to AVR.

I have called Panasonic this morning, they talked me through steps and got nowhere; I called Yamaha, same thing. I may hit Best Buy on way home and get a different AVR just to see if that works.

Anyone else have thoughts? It sounds like this is a running issue now with this model, but it's amazing that even with an optical cable I couldn't get an audio feed from TV to AVR. This doesn't seem like it should be complicated.

Seriously, WTF?

I too love the display, had it professionally mounted (and at 65" I can't move it around), but this is freaking ANNOYING -- so distracting to have things *not work the way they should!*

Standing by, united with my ARC-deprived brethren.

So, I am now wondering: 1) is it the panasonic? or is it the AVR. I'm looking at the Denon AVR 1713 now. . . . may compel a return. Do we know if that is a comparable unit? Never bought Denon, thought Yamaha was the tops.... this is so aggravating.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Denon has a ton of fans around here. You probably want to choose a Denon model that you would consider, then check the discussion thread relating to it. Make sure that nobody has similar problems with ARC.

post #11 of 13 Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Figured out the ARC issue! The TV had some "hidden" settings -- the moral of the story is to check your Viera settings menu and make sure output on sound is set to "home theater."

Hooray!
post #12 of 13 Old 08-17-2013, 10:43 AM

Liked: 16
Where are these hidden settings ? I only see anything like control under veira link settings and those are kind of nebulous.
I have a 55vt60 and a 675 Yamaha receiver both about 3 week old . I can get ARC to work if I turn on the viera control and Yamaha hdmi control but on the nest
power cycle the receiver will not recognize any audio output until the hdmi control on the Yamaha is turned off. The TV is being fed HDMI throuth the Yamaha
with the main source a Comcast Box.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-01-2013, 06:19 PM

Liked: 16
Problem has a solution waggy beast pointed it out.
The Home Theater option is hidden in the Apps Menu of the Panasonic under Viera Link.
(you would think this would be in the setup menu but its not its in the Apps menu)
Only those devices that are enabled for HDMI handshaking will show up in the Menu.
When the AVR in my case the the Yamaha 675 has the HDMI Control off the TV does not show Home Theater option in the Viera Link menu inside the Apps menu. When HDMI control is on for AVR the Home Theater option is on you can select the output to be the speakers on the TV
or the Home theater. When home theater is selected The TV will turn on the AVR and the volume controls
on the TV remote will control the AVR volume. I have also noticed if the TV power is disconnected you have
to go back into the Apps Menu and Viera Link menu inside Apps and switch it to Home Theater again.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V573 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V573 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page