HK-1700 for $125 or Denon 1613 for $275? - Page 2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > HK-1700 for $125 or Denon 1613 for $275?

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

lespurgeon's Avatar lespurgeon
09:41 PM Liked: 42
post #31 of 44
01-15-2013 | Posts: 2,462
Joined: May 2003
I'm not sure the low-end audyssey is that much better than ezset. I'll agree the upper end x32 certainly is. With the same speakers in the same room both set up correctly there SHOULD be little to no difference between them.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie
03:50 AM Liked: 1684
post #32 of 44
01-16-2013 | Posts: 45,989
Joined: Sep 2007
Note that unlike Onkyo, Denon doesn't start with the low end version of Audyssey 2EQ which also cannot EQ the subwoofer, while folks generally notice a difference when using the MultEQ which is on the 1613. smile.gif
sojodave's Avatar sojodave
03:48 PM Liked: 44
post #33 of 44
01-16-2013 | Posts: 349
Joined: Sep 2005
I read this forum and I decided on getting the 1613. Then I went to Best Buy and saw the HK1700 on an open box for $168. My knees buckled and I started sweating. I started seriously thinking about it, but then I remembered, I'm going to have this receiver a long time, do I really want to wish I had got the Dennon for a long time? I'm trying to decide now on the $199 1612 on accessories4less or the 1613 for $259. I'm an android guy and I don't care about airplay. I'm kinda leaning toward the 1612.
sojodave's Avatar sojodave
03:54 PM Liked: 44
post #34 of 44
01-16-2013 | Posts: 349
Joined: Sep 2005
This definitely isn't my first rodeo. I've had HK receiver, Sony, Pioneer, and I'm currently running an Onkyo 604. I love my 6 year old Onkyo 604, but I am interested with going with a different brand. My Onkyo 604 has 90 watts per channel and the Dennon 1612/1613 only has 75 watts. Will I notice a significant loss in power?
butie120's Avatar butie120
07:29 PM Liked: 48
post #35 of 44
01-16-2013 | Posts: 711
Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post

This definitely isn't my first rodeo. I've had HK receiver, Sony, Pioneer, and I'm currently running an Onkyo 604. I love my 6 year old Onkyo 604, but I am interested with going with a different brand. My Onkyo 604 has 90 watts per channel and the Dennon 1612/1613 only has 75 watts. Will I notice a significant loss in power?

I'm curious to see what others have to say about this. I guess I didn't pay much attention to the fact that the 1613 only had 75 watts a channel. What do you guys think?
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie
03:21 AM Liked: 1684
post #36 of 44
01-17-2013 | Posts: 45,989
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post

This definitely isn't my first rodeo. I've had HK receiver, Sony, Pioneer, and I'm currently running an Onkyo 604. I love my 6 year old Onkyo 604, but I am interested with going with a different brand. My Onkyo 604 has 90 watts per channel and the Dennon 1612/1613 only has 75 watts. Will I notice a significant loss in power?

Nope. The difference of 15W will be moot, especially as on average the speakers are only drawing 5W/Ch at best. Doubling the power only results in a change in SPL of 3db which is just barely noticeable by most people. So if going from 75W to 150W is a 3db difference, then 75db to 90db is < 1W difference (ie. moot).
joe801's Avatar joe801
07:21 AM Liked: 34
post #37 of 44
01-17-2013 | Posts: 288
Joined: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

I'm curious to see what others have to say about this. I guess I didn't pay much attention to the fact that the 1613 only had 75 watts a channel. What do you guys think?
Is it possible to get both and see which one is best for you?
ensignlee's Avatar ensignlee
07:27 AM Liked: 10
post #38 of 44
01-17-2013 | Posts: 19
Joined: Dec 2012
Not to introduce more confusion by adding more choices, but have you scoured craigslist in your area yet? You'd be surprised at the great deals that came along.

I got a 1610 for $125 2 weeks ago which I thought was a good deal, but just two days ago I replaced it with a Denon 2310 for $110! With the savings, I just bought an appletv so I could have airplay.

That may end up being your best bang for buck solution?

Of course, if you have to use your $75 best buy bucks or want the security of knowing you can return it in 30 days no questions asked and want things new, I understand this may not be an option for you.
Jim McC's Avatar Jim McC
02:39 PM Liked: 32
post #39 of 44
01-17-2013 | Posts: 5,912
Joined: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensignlee View Post

Not to introduce more confusion by adding more choices, but have you scoured craigslist in your area yet? You'd be surprised at the great deals that came along.

I got a 1610 for $125 2 weeks ago which I thought was a good deal, but just two days ago I replaced it with a Denon 2310 for $110! With the savings, I just bought an appletv so I could have airplay.

That may end up being your best bang for buck solution?

Of course, if you have to use your $75 best buy bucks or want the security of knowing you can return it in 30 days no questions asked and want things new, I understand this may not be an option for you.

When you audition a receiver from Craigslist, what specifically do you check/look for? Any tips? Thanks.
sinkdrain's Avatar sinkdrain
08:04 PM Liked: 13
post #40 of 44
01-17-2013 | Posts: 51
Joined: Jun 2007
I was torn between the exact same systems. After much research i decided on the 1700 and it has exceeded expectations. You will not read a review from anyone saying anything negative about the sound of the the 1700. It is warm powerful and detailed. I'd choose it over the 1613 even if the 1700 was selling the retail price of $599.
joe801's Avatar joe801
08:49 PM Liked: 34
post #41 of 44
01-17-2013 | Posts: 288
Joined: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkdrain View Post

I was torn between the exact same systems. After much research i decided on the 1700 and it has exceeded expectations. You will not read a review from anyone saying anything negative about the sound of the the 1700. It is warm powerful and detailed. I'd choose it over the 1613 even if the 1700 was selling the retail price of $599.
you would be surprised, trust me:) after owning the 700 & 1700. Sound is so much better from the 1613. Nothing bad to say about the 1700.
butie120's Avatar butie120
04:00 PM Liked: 48
post #42 of 44
01-19-2013 | Posts: 711
Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 View Post

you would be surprised, trust me:) after owning the 700 & 1700. Sound is so much better from the 1613. Nothing bad to say about the 1700.

Ugh! Waiting for the 1613 to go down in price is killing me. Trying to be patient is difficult sometimes...
Splicer010's Avatar Splicer010
04:44 PM Liked: 32
post #43 of 44
01-19-2013 | Posts: 7,819
Joined: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

Ugh! Waiting for the 1613 to go down in price is killing me. Trying to be patient is difficult sometimes...
You should SERIOUSLY check into the used/refurb market while waiting then. Takes the edge off and more often than not you will find a better AVR for the same or less than what you are looking to spend.

As for the 75 watts, believe it, that gets loud. Not crazy loud, but very loud just the same. Many times you will watch a movie with it 3/4's turned up and that will give slightly louder than 'normal' levels and is quite normal while still leaving headroom. Ebay can be great...an AVR 2310 (Denon) from there for under $130 shipped, 105 watts/ch there. My sister loves it. Was a grand when new.eek.gifwink.gif

Just food for thought...
afrogt's Avatar afrogt
08:50 PM Liked: 413
post #44 of 44
01-19-2013 | Posts: 23,339
Joined: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

Ugh! Waiting for the 1613 to go down in price is killing me. Trying to be patient is difficult sometimes...

Denon 1613 is currently $288 at Fry's. I was there this morning. Get Best Buy to price match.
Tags: Harman Kardon Avr 1700 5 1 Av Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3