matching amp to speakers - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > matching amp to speakers
jackteet's Avatar jackteet 06:15 PM 01-13-2013
Hi, I have ordered a pair of Roth Audio oli 10 speakers to replace those in my tv. The speakers are100w 8 ohms.
I have "Googled" matching and am none the wiser. I am looking at Pyle home PCAU 33 amp which is 2 X 75 W 10% RMS at 4 ohms. Again this means nothing to me. Will a patient guy please just tell me whether these will match or must I buy an 8 ohm amp. volume will never exceed say 30% of maximum. Thanks

jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 04:08 AM 01-14-2013
Although this amp would likely work just fine for you, note the Owner's manual indicates that 8-ohm speakers must be wired in parallel prior to connecting.

You may also want to consider the amp below in which you can just wire the speakers directly to the amp ...

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

As both amps take RCA inputs, confirm your TV actually has RCA outputs, otherwise you would need to use an optical --> RCA converter connected to the TV's optical audio output jack.
jackteet's Avatar jackteet 06:52 AM 01-14-2013
. Hi jdsmoothie, Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to answer my thread in such detail.
I am now wondering whether I should just get a couple of powered speakers like the Longitech Z 320. I want to be able to adjust the volume using my tv remote.
My tv is a samsung ue d5000 and the spec appears to be 4x hdmi, 2 usb ports, spdif audio out, audio jack, d-sob pc input, headphone output, lan port, dts 2.0 digital out.p The tv has 2x10 built in speakers so I just want to connect a couple of speakers that will improve the sound.
The amp you have suggested isn`t available to me as I live in spain and isn`t offered by amazon spain or from the uk.
May I trouble you to ask whether you think the Roth Audio speakers are compatible with my tv; if so should I look for an amp with 8ohms to match the speakers or go for a pair of pc speakers with built in amp. Thank you once agin for all your help which is most apprecited. Regards jack.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 05:32 PM 01-16-2013
Yeh .. it helps if you fill in the profile information to indicate your place of origin so suggestions correctly apply. Also note there is a European site, AVForums.com as well. Asking whether speakers are compatible with your TV is not a vailid question as an external map must power them not the TV. As already noted, you can go with the amp in question or select an 8-ohm amp. And yes, another option would be going with "powered' speakers as well.
jackteet's Avatar jackteet 05:55 PM 01-16-2013
Hi jdsmoothie, Many thanks for the info. I have now added my location to my profile.Regards jack.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 05:58 PM 01-16-2013
Thank you! smile.gif
Up
Mobile  Desktop