Denon 2313ci "ARC" set up issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have my new Denon 2313ci and loving it so far. My issue is with the audio return channel or "arc". My tv is Cec compatible, Sony xbr6, the handshake occurs when I turn the tv on to oth hd, triggers avr to "tv audio" and notes on tv screen "audio switched to external speakers" but can't get sound from avr. Nothing. Been through as many settings as I can find on both devices. Tv recognizes denon in "compatible devices" in hdmi control menu.... After a call to Denon, they advised to turn hdmi control off on tv but leave on in avr settings, still no dice. I am certain the plethora of knowledge here holds the helpful answer.

This forum has been very helpful in my quest for ht and amazing audio. Thanks for all contributors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
In order for the HDMI(ARC) feature to work, HDMI-CEC must be enabled on both the TV and the AVR, so that advice to turn it OFF on the TV was incorrect. If the AVR is switching to the TV source that likely means you have it setup correctly. Try powering off the AVR and unplugging it for about 10 minutes and see if that resolves the issue. You may also want to consider connecting an optical cable from the TV to the AVR if you are passing DD 5.1 audio as most TV's can only pass stereo 2.0 audio over HDMI(ARC).

Also note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX13 Owners linked in my sig. Review posts #3-6 in that thread for more helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I do not believe that ARC is limited to stereo. It is my understanding that the outputs are identical. ARC saves a cable, but sometimes adds switching issues that are not the case with optical. I would agree that trying optical is a good idea.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM
585-645-1006

AFAIK, it is stereo only on Samsung and Panasonic TVs at a minimum as indicated in their Owner manuals.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #5 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
^^^^
yup. I currently have a Panny and had a Samsung and had the same stereo result for both. Unless I'm missing something...
post #6 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess I wasn't clear. I do not believe the outputs differ between optical and ARC. If a set will output DD 5.1 over optical it will also do so using ARC. The sets you mention are always limited to stereo for audio from attached devices, regardless of how the audio is output.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 AM
585-645-1006

Although most TVs are limited to stereo only from external HDMI connections (as some can pass DD/DTS 5.1), on past year Panasonic and Samsung models the Smart apps that can pass DD 5.1 (eg. Netflix) will only pass PCM 2.0 over ARC while they will pass DD 5.1 over optical.

post #8 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I checked the manual for a recent Panasonic Smart TV (TC-P60GT50) and found that there are all sorts of combinations that may affect the audio output. That particular model will output multichannel surround using ARC when attached to a receiver with HDAVI Control 2, although it does not specify whether that capability depends on how the originating source is connected. The manual also says the optical output can do DD 5.1 from the ATSC tuner and from the SD card reader, but makes no mention of Smart TV apps in that regard. So, I guess careful reading of manuals and testing of the optical and ARC outputs with various types of inputs is required to determine what kind of audio can be sent. I learn something new every day.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
^^^^^
I tried every combo I knew of but can't get DD 5.1 out of my Panny plasma (1 year old) to my receiver (2311) with toslink.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2313ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page