Apartment/Rent house worldwide stereo solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all

I'm moving from the US to Morocco next month, and I'm trying to decide what to do for audio. I'll be on this assignment for two years, and my current plan is to keep being an expat and moving around after that. So I'm looking for something that will be relatively easy to move around, work on different countries electrical services, and not require the running of too many cables in each apartment/house/long term hotel I expect to be in. Bonus for dual zone ability (probably requiring wireless).

My current setup is a living room HTPC feeding Onkyo TX605 to four towers, center, and 12" sub with a plate amp. This setup has several shortcomings: zone 2 doesn't work with optical, 120v 60hz not switching, where Morocco is on 220v 50hz, heavy, bulky, many wire runs, etc etc etc. It's not the audio system for the man on the move.

We use the system about 50% for TV shows and movies, 50% for news in the mornings or music in the evenings. It is almost exclusively fed by the HTPC, occasionally by a friends iphone or laptop, and I think I used the FM once when I set it up 4 years ago.

Options I see now:

1) Take everything and buy power converters for the sub and the receiver. This would require stringing cables around the place and would cost money for converters and take up a big chunk of our allowed freight. The sub with its plate amp weighs something like 55 pounds. Not practical to set up in a hotel for just a couple weeks.

2) Use the powered Creative 2.1 computer speakers we currently have in the garage and bathroom. Not bad for a small room, but not really a primary solution.

3) Sell what I have, buy when I get there, sell when I leave, on and on. I lose the chance to buy something quality and keep it, and it would be expensive to buy decent stuff everywhere I went.

4) Just found out about the Audioengine W3. These would play nice with any powered speakers, can feed 3 receivers at the same time, and seem to get great reviews everywhere. This would be a fairly expensive way to go ($150 for the first set, $90 for each additional zone, still have to buy speakers) but it seems it would do exactly what I want. If I pair with the AE A5+ speakers, they are switchable for different countries and have the USB port to power the dongle.

Seems like, as usual, spending more money up front will require less effort on my part. I may have answered my own question, but I'd appreciate any input.