Do I need a receiver with HDMI inputs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

Newbie question: I got myself a panasonic TX-P42G30B plasma which I'm thrilled with, and looking to step up to surround sound.

My panasonic bluray player has no optical out (just HDMI), but the TV does have an optical output.

To keep costs down I'm looking at used 7.1 receivers, the slightly older models without HDMI inputs are a lot cheaper
- but I'm worried that if I hook the optical out from the TV to the receiver, all that lovely 7.1 surround from the bluray player will be lost.

The TV manual doesn't shed much light on this, so
  • Will I lose any sound data using the TV optical out?
  • If I route the HDMI single through the receiver - could this affect image quality?

Many thanks

Tim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-14-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Panasonic TVs send stereo from attached devices. No 7.1. But, I am sure your BD player will have an optical and/or coax output. They all do.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

But, I am sure your BD player will have an optical and/or coax output. They all do.

Do give the OP some benefit of the doubt. The DMP-BD77 and 87 don't. tongue.gif

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I do indeed have the DMP-BD77!!! Of all the bluray players to buy I picked that one.

I'm looking at HDMI receivers such Onkyo TX-SR606, Sony STR-DH800, old Denons etc.

Could the pristine 24p picture I'm currently enjoying might somehow be affected by the HDMI switcher of these lower-end receivers? - (I'm not bothered about 3d).
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
The honest answer is nobody really knows for sure. It's now possible to measure HDMI video output but it's only been done on players not any receivers. Having said that the discrepancies are minor and not noticeable by eye. I don't know how the Panasonic players fare or if any have been measured so that's something you should think about before worrying about AVRs and TVs.

The budget AVRs often don't have video processing at all so probably little risk but you need to do the homework on each specific model. We know the Onkyo 818 has the 24p bug but nobody seems to know for sure about other Onkyo models.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 07:03 PM

Liked: 21
I've got a 65VT30, and the optical out on the TV only supports 2 channel stereo. The only way to pass multi-channel surround out from the VT30 (for example, if you are using the TV's Netflix app and watching a movie with 5.1 sound) is to use the TV's HDMI port #1, which supports ARC or "audio return channel". In my case, I've got the TV plugged into a Denon receiver with an HDMI output port which *also* supports ARC.

...All this means that if I ever want to use the TV's Netflix client, or its Amazon client, I can do so, and the receiver will get 5.1 audio pushed out of the TV and play it normally. But I vastly prefer the Netflix client on any number of other devices I have in my living room, so if I lost the ARC feature, I wouldn't really care.

The best way to hook up your blu-ray player is via simple HDMI -- don't bother with optical cables.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyh00 View Post

I do indeed have the DMP-BD77!!! Of all the bluray players to buy I picked that one.

I'm looking at HDMI receivers such Onkyo TX-SR606, Sony STR-DH800, old Denons etc.

Could the pristine 24p picture I'm currently enjoying might somehow be affected by the HDMI switcher of these lower-end receivers? - (I'm not bothered about 3d).
No. It's a digital connection.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page