Need help understanding my Yamaha's LFE setting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Using HTR-5930. It has the LFE setting for my sub. But, it starts at zero and then goes left to negative numbers. I read the manual but it does not tell me what going negative means. I just keep it at zero but I don't know why.

I don't have any sort of crossover settings for the traditional 80hz. There's nothing to set. Just speaker size. I didn't know if maybe this LFE setting area had something to do with it.

Samsung 51" PN51E450A, Polk Tsi300, Polk CS 2 series ii center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
It's just a way of reducing the level of the sub's output. It just goes to lower levels instead of both +/- directions. You sure there's not another setting to do both plus/minus trim adjustments?

post #3 of 5 Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

It's just a way of reducing the level of the sub's output. It just goes to lower levels instead of both +/- directions. You sure there's not another setting to do both plus/minus trim adjustments?

I'll look again, maybe. But if I'm at zero and say I move it -5. What does that mean? What if I move it +5?

I read Yamaha hardcodes their receivers, or at least mine, at 90Hz. Does this LFE setting make it 95 (+5) one way and 85 (-5) another?

Samsung 51" PN51E450A, Polk Tsi300, Polk CS 2 series ii center.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Those numbers are in reference to gain (volume) control relative to the other channels. If the sub is too high you would back it down (-2 or -4 etc) - if it wasn't loud enough you'd increase the gain to 0 or +1 etc. You can also do this with the other channels to balance out the volume levels. It does nothing to control the crossover. If its hardwired as you say to 90hz then the crossover will remain 90hz. The sub kicks in at and below 90hz and the other speakers kick in at 90hz and above.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by likemovies View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I'll look again, maybe. But if I'm at zero and say I move it -5. What does that mean? What if I move it +5?

I read Yamaha hardcodes their receivers, or at least mine, at 90Hz. Does this LFE setting make it 95 (+5) one way and 85 (-5) another?

I thought you were saying your sub adjustment only went from 0 down to -5. This is usually a dB measurement, from the starting point of 0.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page