Please explain how to get line level audio from an HDMI cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I have all the amplification I need but I have to find out a way to get from my computer's HDMI output to analogue outputs to feed my amps. I was thinking of using an Anthem MRX300 and just using the line level outputs (because the Anthem just sounds good) but that seems like a waste of money. Can anyone point me in the direction of either a decoder box that is truly stellar in terms of quality, and/or to an article on getting HDMI to line level?

Thanks,
Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 269
You do not need an AVR if you are driving separate amps. An AV surround "pre-pro" is sufficient. There are several options spanning a wide range of features and prices. If you describe your needs, you will get plenty of advice.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I have my video card's HDMI output hooked up to my receiver that uses external amplification. Decent pre-pro's cost more than the equivalent receivers so it's less expensive to use a receiver as a pre-pro.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Theresa and Roger,

What I had been hearing was more closely aligned with Theresa's comments than Roger's.

Roger and others: What would you recommend then for simply getting HDMI to analog for someone who is not too worried about having multichannel? I have had the amplification and speakers for years to do it - it just doesn't really pique my interest. That said, I would like the option.

So, I would very much like to be able to do a phantom center channel and will be listening to a lot of movies in 2 channel. My speakers can image well enough that I can't imagine the need for a separate center speaker.

My setup includes Naim Audio 135 monoblocks, and Wilson Audio Sophias. Yes, I am coming at video from a very stereo standpoint. smile.gif

Thanks everyone...
post #5 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 06:00 AM

If you just want a stereo analog output from your HDMI cable, you need something like this
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011410&p_id=8126&seq=1&format=2
post #6 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 269
The Monoprice assumes your computer has all the necessary audio codecs supported for whatever content you are playing. It probably does, but just make sure. If not, you'll need the decoders in the external device.

Yes, AVRs can be cheaper than prepros, but your first post said: >>I was thinking of using an Anthem MRX300 and just using the line level outputs (because the Anthem just sounds good)<< so it seemed you might like a good sounding, non-AVR solution. For example, the new Outlaw 975 is $550 and sounds good, so it does not have to be an expensive proposition to use a prepro.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

The Monoprice assumes your computer has all the necessary audio codecs supported for whatever content you are playing. It probably does, but just make sure. If not, you'll need the decoders in the external device.
True, I wasn't thinking about that side of it. Silly question, if you're not using a processor and just want analog left & right audio, why not simply use the analog output on the computer's sound card? It won't be the best of signals, but if it's a halfway descent card, it shouldn't be terrible either.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

I think at this point I am either going to cheap out and do something like the momoprice/soundcard option or drop the money on something good. I'll take a look at the outlaw. Any other suggestions for other pre/pros?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page