Help with connecting Subwoofer to Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this sounds like a basic issue, and it probably is. I have a Sony STRDH520 7.1 receiver and a Polk PSW10 sub. The sub has connections for both stereo wire and an AV adapter. I initially hooked my sub to the receiver by routing the right and left speakers through the sub and it seems to work ok. But I bought a Mediabridge Male to 2 Male gold plated cable to connect the sub directly to the receiver without routing speaker wires. Unfortunately, when I connect it to the receiver this way I get a constant loud bass noise. Did I buy the wrong cable or should I be doing something else?

I've also linked to the cable I bought on Amazon below for reference. It does mention the cable is for IPods and such devices, but my receiver's sub port looks to be a male connection and not a female so after hours of searching, this cable seemed to be the best bet. And of course the reference manuals helped zero. I really appreciate any assistance you all can offer.

(http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Stereo-Design-accommodates-SmartPhones/dp/B004YEBK66/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358273310&sr=1-10&keywords=rca+cable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
I don't know what you're plugging that cable into, but the subwoofer port looks like a typical RCA port, just like the cluster of analog audio (red/white) and composite video (yellow) ports on the back of your receiver. As near as I can tell from the picture at Newegg, the subwoofer port should be that one just to the right of the other audio ports. You don't need an adapter cable, just a straightforward 75 ohm RCA terminated male-male cable. This may be called a 'digital audio' cable or a 'subwoofer' cable, or you can use a yellow composite video cable.

post #3 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I do not think that cable will work at all. what you need is one RCA cable from the "sub out"

to the 'L' or 'R' input of your sub
or do you have a different looking PSW 10 back?

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

That's why I was confused. I thought the subwoofer cable you just mentioned would be what I needed, but since the sub has an L and R line In, I figured I needed a cable with two inputs as well. So I just have to buy the sub cable and connect it to either the L or the R? Would it work the same that way? Thanks for the timely responses, guys.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
You should have gotten an rca phono cord with a 'y' connection on the other end to hook to the subwoofer out on the Sony.

Here's an example;
http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-splitter-female-15-24cm-cable/dp/B000BATDZ2/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358275939&sr=1-21&keywords=Two+RCA+Mono+Male+Y-Cable

Then you would just hook up whatever length of male to male rca phono cord you need.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Get a Y-splitter and plug into left and right. I found that sub performs much better that way as It doesn't have LFE.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #7 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for this information. This is very helpful. I'll go ahead and order both of the mentioned cables. Now, for quality purposes, will this produce better sound than routing the speaker wire through the sub? I read that it does, but wasn't sure how much of an impact it had.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderstudent View Post

Thank you for this information. This is very helpful. I'll go ahead and order both of the mentioned cables. Now, for quality purposes, will this produce better sound than routing the speaker wire through the sub? I read that it does, but wasn't sure how much of an impact it had.

It doesn't look like that receiver supports any kind of automatic room correction, but there's still a benefit to be had. The amplifiers in your receiver will not need to work as hard if they're not trying to amplify bass frequencies. So plug your sub in to the dedicated port, set your receiver to crossover from your speakers to your sub at 80 Hertz or so (experiment to see what sounds best to you), and feel good knowing you've got a bit more headroom to turn up the volume and enjoy the sound without clipping the output and frying your speakers' voice coils.

post #9 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 AM

It looks like that receiver doesn't have a sub out through the speaker wire so it would be sending all frequencies to your sub.
Using the subout port will just send the low frequency to the sub at whatever crossover it's set at.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #10 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Let the receiver handle the speakers. Not the sub.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #11 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Yes +1^^^^
I didn't even consider that in your question. Speaker wire from receiver to speakers not from the sub to the speakers if that was your question.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page