A/V-receiver or stereo amplifier? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-15-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

i'm new here and i'm quite aware that there will already be loads of existing topics on this matter - but I hope you can understand that I just haven't got the time to read them all to find a solution to my problem. So if anyone can redirect me to such a post, i will also be thankful. I didn't even have the time to search if it's okay to name brands in this topic, so I apologize if this isn't the case.

Currently i am using these speakers (which sound pretty good for the money i paid for them): http://www.jamo.com/search/?sku=S708. I connected them to an old Kenwood XD-652 mini hifi system which also works surprisingly good, but it's time to move on to something better and more stylish.

I also use Apple Airplay all the time to stream music from my devices to this system via an airport express (no Apple TV). But here's the thing: in time I'd like to combine a home cinema (for tv, movies and gaming) with my stereo speakers: i would love to have a setup where i can either:
- replace the the two front speakers of a home cinema with my Jamo speakers (or better ones in the future)
- connect both a complete home cinema and stereo speakers to one receiver or amp

I'm torn between buying a stereo amplifier or an A/V receiver like the pioneer vsx 922-k. I've listed some pros and cons below, but my main concern is wether an A/V-receiver will sound as good as a stereo amplifier. If I can believe the information I have found so far - it won't. That would mean I need to buy an amplifier as well as an A/V-receiver

A/V receiver Pros
  • Built-in Airplay
  • All-in-one Gaming, Movies and TV combined with stereo?
  • Multiple speakers and surround sound
  • Remote control

Stereo Amp Pros
  • (airplay with separate airport express)
  • No sound quality loss compared to A/V
  • Bass, treble, ... controls on the system
  • Easier to connect record player (?)

What would you do? Is the loss of sound quality in A/V-receiver so big I need to buy a separate amplifier?
You might need to know that I listen to all kinds of music: from oldies to electronic music with powerful bass.
And one more question - the stereo amplifiers i found on Pioneer's website don't have an optical input - isn't that supposed to be the best way to connect an input device to your amp?

Greetings and thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Virtually any multi-channel receiver works just fine in stereo, many of them even have dedicated modes for that purpose. If you're thinking you might go multi-channel I don't think there's really much reason to look at stereo-only models. The pros you list for stereo receivers are:

• Airplay, which you also listed as a pro for a multi-channel receiver, except that with the multi-channel receiver you don't need to buy an extra piece of equipment
  • "No sound quality loss" but what loss you expect to hear in a multi-channel receiver completely escapes me, as modern receivers are shockingly good
  • Bass/treble controls, which are really just very crude equalization tools that are easily surpassed by what a quality receiver will do, particularly one with an advanced room correction algorithm.

I don't see that there's much reason for you to even consider a stereo receiver unless you're looking to do dedicated two channel high end stuff.
Qualky likes this.

post #3 of 16 Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ok - thanks for your quick reply!

I expected the quality loss as i read it a couple of times on the internet and because i can't find another reason why stereo amps are about the same price as A/V receivers with less W per channel :-). Some of the amps are even more expensive.

I'll probably have to buy a phone preamp if i want to connect a turntable to most A/V receivers?

I guess i'll just have to figure out if i want to dedicate a complete separate setup for playing audio, even though you obviously think that would be nuts :-)
post #4 of 16 Old 01-15-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I have a very nice Outlaw Audio RR2150 stereo receiver.
I has simple bass mgmt and a USB digital input.
It is also set-up to do vinyl. Don't know how many albums
You have??

That being said there is nothing wrong with an AVR for your set-up.
Room correction,different inputs, bass mgmt, and
More importantly ROOM TO GROW your system.

Don't just settle on Pioneer,I'm not fond of their room correction.
Check out marantz/Denon.
Qualky likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualky View Post

I expected the quality loss as i read it a couple of times on the internet and because i can't find another reason why stereo amps are about the same price as A/V receivers with less W per channel :-). Some of the amps are even more expensive.

I'll probably have to buy a phone preamp if i want to connect a turntable to most A/V receivers?

Yes. My receiver (a Denon 3312ci) has a phono pre-amp, but many do not. You will need to decide what you want your system to actually do today, as well as what you think is really likely you'll want it to do tomorrow, and buy something that supports your needs. Stuff you think you might like to do one day can serve as basis to justify an upgrade to yourself when the time comes. biggrin.gif
Quote:
I guess i'll just have to figure out if i want to dedicate a complete separate setup for playing audio, even though you obviously think that would be nuts :-)

Nuts? Not at all! There's something sublime about a high quality stereo setup and if you lean that way, go for it by all means. A lot of people make sure that their main speakers are big towers with excellent sound to satisfy that itch without going whole-hog, some fortunate (or dedicated) folks will have a room dedicated to stereo listening.

Since you're really just dipping your toes in the water, a multi-channel receiver just makes more sense as an early purchase. It is a more versatile purchase, possibly enough to satisfy you for a fair length of time.
Qualky likes this.

post #6 of 16 Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Qualky,

Grasshopper and JD both have it right. Don't be afraid to jump on in.

One thought, you sound pretty focused on the stereo sound. Consider an AVR from 3 to 4 years ago on the used market. Many are very very good units that are not optimized for modern home theater uses. Lack HDMI, or have unreliable HDMI etc. But some of these units can be absolutely killer for a person with a bit of an audiophile bent, and is willing to deal with highly varied hook-ups.

Just read on Craigslist of a Denon 2808 (?) , 40lb monster, Japanese made 135wpc, every possible input and out, but unsuitable for me due to lack of simple reliable HDMI. Was tempted to get it anyway just for the quality of amplification. Do a little looking and research , and you are likely to find some great systems to start your hobby. Vastly better than anything you are likely to find at price of "entry-level" AVRs or HTIB.

It sounds as though you are on the right track by considering your speakers first, then looking for a way to drive them that meets your needs.

Good luck.

Mike
Qualky likes this.

post #7 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for your replies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

It is also set-up to do vinyl. Don't know how many albums
You have??

I just got my dad's collection of records - Pink Floyd, CCR, Dire Straits, you name it :-). And i'm planning on expanding it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

That being said there is nothing wrong with an AVR for your set-up.
Room correction,different inputs, bass mgmt, and
More importantly ROOM TO GROW your system.

Don't just settle on Pioneer,I'm not fond of their room correction.
Check out marantz/Denon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

Since you're really just dipping your toes in the water, a multi-channel receiver just makes more sense as an early purchase. It is a more versatile purchase, possibly enough to satisfy you for a fair length of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post

Qualky,

Grasshopper and JD both have it right. Don't be afraid to jump on in.

One thought, you sound pretty focused on the stereo sound. Consider an AVR from 3 to 4 years ago on the used market. Many are very very good units that are not optimized for modern home theater uses. Lack HDMI, or have unreliable HDMI etc. But some of these units can be absolutely killer for a person with a bit of an audiophile bent, and is willing to deal with highly varied hook-ups.

Just read on Craigslist of a Denon 2808 (?) , 40lb monster, Japanese made 135wpc, every possible input and out, but unsuitable for me due to lack of simple reliable HDMI. Was tempted to get it anyway just for the quality of amplification. Do a little looking and research , and you are likely to find some great systems to start your hobby. Vastly better than anything you are likely to find at price of "entry-level" AVRs or HTIB.

It sounds as though you are on the right track by considering your speakers first, then looking for a way to drive them that meets your needs.

Good luck.

Mike

Ok, i'll do a little bit more research into other brands of A/V receiver! I started with pioneer because a local store is selling the vsx922 with a free pioneer S-HS100 speaker set (seems a great deal as a starter kit?).

I too will need several HDMI ports, but i'll definately do some more research. And maybe i'll buy a stereo amp in the future, as JD said. I'll probably change the Jamo S708 speakers to something like these too: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/683.html

Can anyone tell me what to look for exactly to get the maximum out of the Jamo S708 or other floorstanding speakers? Is watts per channel the most important thing to pay attention to? Because then Pioneer would seem the way to go.. (notice how little I know about these things biggrin.gif)
post #8 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualky View Post

The main reason why so much 2-channel equipment is more expensive than multichannel AVRs that may even have less power is that the AVRs are produced in high volumes for highly competitive markets, while 2-channel gear has largely descended into niche status.
Quote:

Yes, but you have more than a few alternatives:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/View-All-Phono-Preamps

http://www.phonopreamps.com/

...and google is your friend if you need more alternatives.
Quote:

You have options!
Qualky likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 284
you might look at the Onkyo TX-8050

I just bought one for an office and the sound quality is very good: it has many of the features you want

my opinion only...

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #10 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The main reason why so much 2-channel equipment is more expensive than multichannel AVRs that may even have less power is that the AVRs are produced in high volumes for highly competitive markets, while 2-channel gear has largely descended into niche status.
Yes, but you have more than a few alternatives:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/View-All-Phono-Preamps

http://www.phonopreamps.com/

...and google is your friend if you need more alternatives.
You have options!

Thanks, good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

you might look at the Onkyo TX-8050

I just bought one for an office and the sound quality is very good: it has many of the features you want

my opinion only...

Thanks but my mind is made up now - I will buy an A/V-receiver first :-).
post #11 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I have done some research - even during working hours smile.gif - and I have come to the following options:

- Pioneer vsx 922 or 1122: these seem to have all the features I need for a good price. Not much other receivers offer 150 W/channel, but i don't know if this is necessary?

-The more research I did, the more I came across people who seem to have some sort of grudge against Pioneer receivers tongue.gif. There are loads of people who say they're no good. If anyone can confirm this, I might be looking to spend a little more on a Denon Avr-2313

Marantz receivers look really good, but they seem to be a lot more expensive.

Any thoughts? Which of the three avrs mentioned above would you choose?
post #12 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

No opinion on the Pioneers, haven't used one since forever. The Denon 2313 is probably a pretty good receiver, I'm happy with my 3312 and only upgraded my 4802 (yes, as in a 2002 model) because I finally decided I needed HDMI switching. I recommend seeing the xx13 Denon thread for all you could want to know.

As far as I can tell, Marantz receivers are higher priced and marginally different featured Denons. They're all made by D&M group.
Qualky likes this.

post #13 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 293
The Marantz receivers offer some additional features like pre-outs if you want an external amplifier and some other goodies but as already mentioned they're made by the same company. If you can swing the purchase of the Denon 2313 I think that would be a good decision. You will get Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction software which makes a big difference concerning sound quality. The 1713 also has MultEQ XT and costs quite a bit less if you don't need all the features of the 2313.
Qualky likes this.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #14 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

No opinion on the Pioneers, haven't used one since forever. The Denon 2313 is probably a pretty good receiver, I'm happy with my 3312 and only upgraded my 4802 (yes, as in a 2002 model) because I finally decided I needed HDMI switching. I recommend seeing the xx13 Denon thread for all you could want to know.

As far as I can tell, Marantz receivers are higher priced and marginally different featured Denons. They're all made by D&M group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

The Marantz receivers offer some additional features like pre-outs if you want an external amplifier and some other goodies but as already mentioned they're made by the same company. If you can swing the purchase of the Denon 2313 I think that would be a good decision. You will get Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction software which makes a big difference concerning sound quality. The 1713 also has MultEQ XT and costs quite a bit less if you don't need all the features of the 2313.

Alright, i found the Denon on a website in my country for not that much bucks more that much more money then the Pioneer. I think I'll go for that one - if you can't trust a fellow Liverpool fan then who can you trust?? ;-)

Thanks JD & the rest for all your help!
post #15 of 16 Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Alright, i found the Denon on a website in my country for not that much bucks more that much more money then the Pioneer. I think I'll go for that one - if you can't trust a fellow Liverpool fan then who can you trust?? ;-)

wink.gif Cheers!

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #16 of 16 Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 AM

Hello All,

I am looking for a new system as well..

Someone recommended the foll:

Pioneer VSX-1021-K and Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 for speakers.

In India, it seems Harmon Kardon seems more favourite than a Denon or Pioneer. Hope nothing to do with the features or the capabilities..

Pls suggest...

Ash
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Outlaw Audio Rr2150 , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2808ci Receiver , Onkyo Tx 8050 Network Stereo Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page