5.1 Receiver Comparison 1613/1713 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the Pioneer SP-FS52 Andrew Jones Designed Speaker system (excluding the subwoofer, getting a F12 BIC America)

I stream ALOT of movies, and TV shows via DLNA from my PC to my web TV so for me DLNA is a priority in my purchasing decision.

In comparing the 1613 and the 1713, it seems that the 1613 has more features overall. The 1613 has 1 less HDMI port, but also includes 3D capability if I ever decide to upgrade, and also priced less. Also, the Denon 1613 includes the DTS HD High Resolution DTS Decoder whereas the 1713 does not include that.

A main difference I would like to point out is in the Dolby Decoders:

1713 Includes:
Dolby Digital (5.1) & Dolby True HD

1613 Includes:
Dolby Pro Logic IIZ

Not sure if this is a big deal or not? Shouldn't movies be able to support all of these formats?

I can see now that the1713 model offers MultiEQ XT versus just the MultiEQ that the 1613 offers, which I believe allows the system to equalize the sound better for the room that it is in.

The real confusion comes with the Dolby Decoders, I assume the newer model would be able to handle anything thrown at it?

http://receivers.findthebest.com/compare/173-177/Denon-AVR-1713-vs-Denon-AVR-1613
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
xkaijinx,

I read your post, and only picked up on only two questions.

Movie audio can be somewhat varied. HD audio Dolby True, or DTS-HD are quite common in the blu-ray world. Some others show as alternates occasionally. DTS or Dolby 5.1 for DVD. Depends on date of disk pressing and quality of recordings.

You ask about the newer unit having more functions. Denon 1613 and 1713 are numbered as the same model year, the 17xx being a little further up the food chain. MultiEQ-XD is a highly sought after Denon/Audessy (sp?) feature. I suspect that the 17xx would have all the main features of the 16xx, plus a few to establish "higher line". Things do vary though...

Please look online for a site called "batpigs world" . I am not kidding. Batpig is a strong supporter of the Denon threads on the AVS Forums and has a LOT of great information regards Denon electronics.

Good luck

Mkard

post #3 of 4 Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkaijinx View Post

I just purchased the Pioneer SP-FS52 Andrew Jones Designed Speaker system (excluding the subwoofer, getting a F12 BIC America)

I stream ALOT of movies, and TV shows via DLNA from my PC to my web TV so for me DLNA is a priority in my purchasing decision.

In comparing the 1613 and the 1713, it seems that the 1613 has more features overall. The 1613 has 1 less HDMI port, but also includes 3D capability if I ever decide to upgrade, and also priced less. Also, the Denon 1613 includes the DTS HD High Resolution DTS Decoder whereas the 1713 does not include that.

A main difference I would like to point out is in the Dolby Decoders:

1713 Includes:
Dolby Digital (5.1) & Dolby True HD

1613 Includes:
Dolby Pro Logic IIZ

Not sure if this is a big deal or not? Shouldn't movies be able to support all of these formats?

I can see now that the1713 model offers MultiEQ XT versus just the MultiEQ that the 1613 offers, which I believe allows the system to equalize the sound better for the room that it is in.

The real confusion comes with the Dolby Decoders, I assume the newer model would be able to handle anything thrown at it?

http://receivers.findthebest.com/compare/173-177/Denon-AVR-1713-vs-Denon-AVR-1613

These two receivers have the exact same features except the 1713 uses Audyssey MultEQ XT and outputs for Zone 2. I own the 1613 and it does Dolby Digital 5.1, TrueHD, DTS and DTS-MA just like the 1713.

The 1613 does not have Dolby Pro Logic IIz because that involves height channels and there are no connections for height speakers on this model.

Read This: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq#post_21995235
Quote:
5.1 Models with no Video Conversion (1513, 1613, 1713): The AVR 1513, 1613, and 1713 all share a common platform as basic 5.1 models with only limited analog connectivity (two composite inputs, no component video) and no ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output. So basically these models will work best if you just want to use them as HDMI switchboxes and/or are willing to run an extra cable to the TV for non-HDMI video sources.

Batpig's Buying Advice: As with prior years, we strongly recommend you avoid the most basic 1513 model as it is missing some critical features (most notable the lack of any kind of Audyssey processing) and has lesser build quality (e.g. only spring clips for speaker connection on the back) than the higher level models. The 1713 is basically a "souped up" 1613 and for the extra $50msrp is clearly the best value among these models. For that $50 premium over the 1613 you get MultEQ XT (instead of basic MultEQ), an extra HDMI input, the ability to interface with the receiver via a web browser (which also includes saving/loading configurations from a networked PC), and independent Zone 2 capability (with the addition of an external amp). For a "casual" 5.1 setup where you don't need Zone 2 features and aren't doing critical listening, the 1613 will do just fine, but for any "serious" setup the 1713 is the bang-for-the-buck king with those added features and is a great buy if you don't intend to go beyond 5.1.

AVR-1513 (5.1 @ 75w/ch) - $249 msrp

PRODUCT PAGE LINK

* 5 amp channels rated at 75 w/ch (8ohms)
* 4 HDMI inputs (3 rear / 1 front) + 1 HDMI output (but no ARC support)
* 2 analog audio inputs, 2 assignable digital audio inputs (1 optical / 1 coax), NO component video
* NO analog > HDMI video conversion
* NO front panel USB input, but has a stereo mini-jack (1/8") input for iPods etc.
* NO Audyssey or auto setup features
* NO networking (but does have AM radio unlike higher level models)
* Spring clips for all 5 channels instead of speaker binding posts

AVR-1613 (5.1 @ 75w/ch) - $399 msrp

PRODUCT PAGE LINK

* 5 amp channels rated at 75 w/ch (8ohms)
* 5 HDMI inputs (4 rear / 1 front) + 1 HDMI output (w/ ARC support)
* Front panel USB input (supports iPhone/iPod direct connection)
* 2 analog audio inputs, 2 assignable digital audio inputs (1 optical / 1 coax), NO component video
* Ethernet port for networking
--- Supports AirPlay, DLNA, Pandora, SiriusXM, Flickr, and internet radio streams
--- Can be controlled by smartphone / tablet with Denon Remote app (or 3rd party apps)
* Audyssey MultEQ + Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume

AVR-1713 (5.1 @ 80w/ch) - $449 msrp

PRODUCT PAGE LINK

* 5 amp channels rated at 80 w/ch (8ohms) w/ Zone 2 support
* Zone 2 pre-outs for adding an independent second zone (requires an external amplifier)
* 6 HDMI inputs (5 rear / 1 front) + 1 HDMI output (w/ ARC support)
* Front panel USB input (supports iPhone/iPod direct connection)
* Ethernet port for networking
--- Supports AirPlay, DLNA, Pandora, SiriusXM, Flickr, and internet radio streams
--- Network audio (including AirPlay) can stream independently to Zone 2
--- Can be controlled by smartphone / tablet with Denon Remote app (or 3rd party apps)
--- Supports web control through a browser via a networked PC, laptop, or smartphone/tablet
--- Web control feature supports SAVE/LOAD of receiver configuration settings
* Audyssey MultEQ XT + Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume

Afro GT
post #4 of 4 Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
By now you should be able to guess that the sight you're getting your info from is totally hosed up on getting the features of those AVRs correct as they're wrong on several features for both models.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page