PIONEER ELITE SC-61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all....maybe a little help from all you audiophiles out there...
Have had my sc-61 elite for a couple of days, sounds great, looks great, running klipsh speakers yada yada yada...
Heres my issues..

my receiver over night I loses all internet connection thru my server (Charter) it completely knocks me off any internet connection... now I have unplugged the ethernet cable and the next morning everything is normal...have internet connection..any ideas out there? If I leave the ethernet cable plugged in again I have no internet connectin the next morning.

Also I have not been able to get an softward upgrade because of the internet problem....when I am online I try to download the software and I get error code 7
I understand that I can upload thru USB but I get error code 6

Also I am connecting my xbox with component and I am not getting video...audio is thru an optical output

Thanks in advance
looking forward to any thoughts or ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-16-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 316
describe your network:

do you have the receiver connected to a router? did you setup a static IP address or DHCP so router assigns IP address to the receiver? is there a switch or hub between the router & receiver? or are you trying to plug the receiver directly to the cable modem? I read a post yesterday where ATT-Uverse is giving out combo modem-routers and the poster says they flat don't work (a Denon or Marantz thread, I think) is your modem also acting as router with multiple ports or just one LAN out?

on the video part of your problems, did you make sure the assigned component video input (1,2,3) is the same as the one shown in the named input you have the xbox connected to? you have to assign these inputs or at least check to see what the defaults are in the input setup menu. do you have video converter on or off?

Steve
post #3 of 11 Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
why did you start another thread with the same title?
post #4 of 11 Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

sorry, first time user...
i screwed up
post #5 of 11 Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
besides that, do you have any comments about your network so someone possibly can help?

Steve
post #6 of 11 Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. This is a friend of Bluzefan who installed his system, he asked me to reply to your post.

There is a separate router behind the Charter modem. (Linksys DD-WRT series router) From there, there is a network cable run to the media rack and there is a five port switch ("monster brand") that distributes data to all devices in the rack. (Receiver, Blueray, Xbox, etc.) All devices are taking ip addresses from DHCP and there are plenty of assignable addresses let on the router's range. When the receiver is connected to the switch the router loses sync (DHCP address loss) with the cable modem. When I unplug it, the router grabs an external address again. I'm thinking the next step is to try a different router. My thinking is that the receiver and the router just aren’t getting along for some unexplainable reason...

As per the components not working, I have checked input labeling on the back of the receiver and confirmed it with the settings for the (Assignable) input I am using. I have also tried a different component video input (input 2) and I have even tried to assign input to a different assignable input (in the OS). I have tried this with the video conversion setting on and off and have tried all resolutions in the xbox to see if it was a pairing issue. I was thinking I would try a component to HDMI converter (Monoprice of something of the like) in the hopes that it is just a Component to HDMI handshake issue or something.

Any insight on what is happening would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for all your help.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-16-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzefan View Post

Hello all..

Also I have not been able to get an softward upgrade because of the internet problem....when I am online I try to download the software and I get error code 7
I understand that I can upload thru USB but I get error code 6
Check this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1442392/sc-61-software-firmware-update
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzefan View Post

There is a separate router behind the Charter modem. (Linksys DD-WRT series router)
Doesn't sound too bad but I'm wondering if you can do without the router after the modem. Can you feed the media rack switch with the output from the modem? Your set up is similar to mine but I don't have the additional router.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 AM

I have the same problem with my SC-61. I have an apple extreme hooked up to a Uverse modem in my attic, then I have my receiver going into an apple express. I have tried to update through the internet and through usb and I get the error messages with both. I went back to my dealer and he said he would pull a new unit and update it and let me swap units, but he had the same problems. Has anyone been able to update these receivers? Yesterday my smartphone remote app couldn't even find the receiver. I tried calling support, but got a message they were all at training and not available for a few days. Any suggestions on a good receiver to replace the Elite SC-61?
post #9 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
1. try a different brand of USB drive, format it as FAT32, put the extracted files on it without the zip file
2. none of the updates were supposed to be available over the internet. the directions are very clear that they are to be done by USB only. so it's no wonder they fail.
3. any internet connectivity issues are made worse by your Uverse combination modem-router-gateway. as I have read thru info by Uverse, this is a combination unit, contains McAfee AV software, and others have reported problems using it. in addition, I've recently read a review of the motorola device Uverse uses on Network World and the title of the review has "not too good" in it. the reviewer doesn't have a very high opinion of the gateway. there are much better for home AV use.

ask AT&T for a standard cable-phone modem, get your own router from a well known name in the router business, like Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, etc, and likely some of these issues go away.

I've done 4 updates on an SC-68 with a 8GB PNY drive & every one of them worked just fine. I also do not use wifi but have all my gear on hardwired LAN, using a Netgear router & Netgear switch, and my ability to get files from my network or use internet radio is perfect. I also use the iphone app and it works OK for me.

people tend to blame the receiver for having network problems when the problem may actually be a flaky router or other network issues.

you may have a defective receiver but the use of the Uverse router-modem is probably not helping your cause. btw - the 1st time I read about Uverse problems was not in a Pioneer thread, but a Denon one. so problems using it with a receiver is not unique to Pioneer.

Steve
post #10 of 11 Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Some people are having issues if use bigger usn pen drives; probably bigger than 8gb. I suggest to use a 2gb or 1gb pen drive and format it as fat32. Follow ss9001 recomendations. It should work. Unzip files on your pc and then copy only the extracted files to the usb drive. Remember tnat on tne usb drivr should have ONLY the files of the firmware.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-18-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

Some people are having issues if use bigger usn pen drives; probably bigger than 8gb. I suggest to use a 2gb or 1gb pen drive and format it as fat32. Follow ss9001 recomendations. It should work. Unzip files on your pc and then copy only the extracted files to the usb drive. Remember tnat on tne usb drivr should have ONLY the files of the firmware.

My situation:
I got the SC-61 unit back from repair and set it up again. The Network functions are back. Different IP but that ok. I had a USB drive plugged in and went to the Update section and found the drive had nothing on it so I swapped it for another drive (USB 2.0 Card Reader with SanDisk 512MB UltraII Stick) and restarted the update. Successful update in no time. Yea.
So the repair shop said they replaced a component but didn't relate what it was. Can only guess but whatever it was, that was the culprit all along.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 61 7 2 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page