Will this amplifier work with my Bose 4.2's from 1985? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello! Apologizes if I get this in the wrong forum - it would be a big help if someone could move it to the correct place. biggrin.gif
So, to the main question, will this amplifier work with my Bose 4.2's from 1985?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071HZ5LE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ADCZTTE1BO460
I know very little about speakers & amplifiers but this sounds like it will work. The maximum wattage to my speakers it 100w, and this reaches 90w - which is probably much to loud for my needs. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 PM

Liked: 17
It will work ... but you get what you pay for. It depends what your going to use your setup for as to how happy you'll be with this combo.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin
post #3 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear so I would advise new speakers, anything but Bose. Speakers are the second most important factor in good sound, second only to the room and the Bose will not give you all the potential of any receiver you buy.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 1143

That amp is really a small portable device intended for use in cars, boats etc. Is that your application? 

Bose 4.2s were typical Bose products in that they used an unconventional 'direct reflecting' design intended to 'fill your room with sound'. Many people consider Bose to be a marketing company first and foremost and they just happen to sell speakers. Certainly many of their designs (eg 'Wave Technology') are just gimmicks and cost a lot more than a more conventional design from other manufacturers, which probably also have the virtue of sounding much better than Bose as well.

But you have the 4.2s and I assume that you want to keep them and use them. What amplification are you using them with at the moment?

post #5 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I bought these Bose speakers for 50$ at a thrift store and are in very nice condition.. I'm really no audiophile and thought they sounded decent for my small bedroom compared to my bad laptop speakers. (i'm used to really crappy all in one speaker sets at most 30$ new) But yeah, my main application would be pretty much my room - which is pretty small. I would like to keep my budget on an amplifier under 70$, and possibly keeping it on the small side. Any suggestions?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xillra View Post

I bought these Bose speakers for 50$ at a thrift store and are in very nice condition.. I'm really no audiophile and thought they sounded decent for my small bedroom compared to my bad laptop speakers. (i'm used to really crappy all in one speaker sets at most 30$ new) But yeah, my main application would be pretty much my room - which is pretty small. I would like to keep my budget on an amplifier under 70$, and possibly keeping it on the small side. Any suggestions?

Fair enough. Have you checked out the classified ads here and elsewhere?  You can probably do better than the amp you are considering for about the same money. An obsolete receiver from one of the big brands for example.

Or check out the auction sites - you are looking for a stereo integrated amp I think (rather than just a power amp).

Have you tried Freecycle?  I know several people who have picked up good audio gear FREE by using it:

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/

Can you tell us how you will be connecting the system up?  What will you use as a preamp with that amp you mentioned, for example? It is just a power amp.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Check Craig's List too. There are many small amps available. Decent one's can be had for less than $150 from such sources as Part's Express.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page