Another request for help selecting an AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for any help/opinions in selecting a new receiver.

Had this posted in the home theater forum and rec'd a suggestion to post here.

Don't ask for details (doesn't really matter) but my job has a "Rewards" program where I can earn points and purchase a variety of things with my "earned" points. Below are some receivers that they have available w/ their cost to me (1 point is equal to $1.) And yes, I realize the points/costs assigned are a “little” high and I could get a much better deal thru Amazon or out on the street. But I’ve got the points and not the cash – so guess where I’m going to get my AVR?
I have a separate room & system that is my primary audio listening room and will be using this new setup as my primary video system. Both are used for the other purpose but limited; guessing at about a 70/30 or 80/20 split. This may change in the future (when I can afford separates), but for now - two rooms, each w/ a dedicated system. Got a great deal on the Energy Take Classic 5.1 surround system (love Energy speakers and after reading reviews on this, couldn’t pass it up @ $250 but likely to upgrade it in the future). Now need a receiver for it. Have a DVD player but will be getting a blu-ray player soon. Do not anticipate using this for games, just watching TV, movies and occasional music. The TV I will be playing thru is a Sharp LC-46LE820UN. The Sharp has several HDMI inputs including one w/ ARC that I plan on using as the main connection.

Here are my choices.
Marantz SR5006 $770
Denon AVR-1913 $645
Pioneer Elite VSX-52 $1050
Pioneer Elite VSX-40 $510
Yamaha HTR6080BL $880

Have done some feature/price comparison and have these listed in the order as I see them. Leaning towards the Marantz or Denon and probably not the VSX-52 as I would have to throw in some cash.

BUT not set on this, for example –
is the VSX-52 really worth the extra $$$$?
some reviews talk about display/menu issues w/ the Marantz
the Denon has Audyssey MultiEQ vice the Audyssey MultiEQ XT
etc, etc

How do you see them? Any input/comments/advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
If this for a "video" setup, then let the TV do the video upscaling. The above AVRs are are really overkill for those speakers. You would be better served with a lower level model like the Denon 1613 instead.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page