Toslink 3 way digital optical switch? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have a soundbar connected with my home theater projector. Can't use a receiver since they have no Digital Optical out. Instead of having to constantly switch the digital optical cable from the cable box to the blu ray player, I was thinking of getting the Toslink 3 way digital optical switcher from ebay for bout $12. Anybody have any experience with this? I don't want to lose one bit of sound quality so if anybody can tell a difference in sound, then it's out of the question.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-x-1-Optical-Audio-Toslink-Bi-Directional-Manual-Switch-/320855995642?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4ab481f4fa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have heard good things. Monoprice seems to have the same thing. I would recommend ordering from them. Their return policy is solid in case you have any issues. Even with shipping, it should cost less than the Ebay item.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2#description

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

or what about this? These seems like it would be more legit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270488
post #4 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
An optical switcher will definitely do it for you. Your only real question is do you mind having a mechanical switch that you have to change or do you want a switch that could potentially be automated with a programmable remote. Signal with the mechanical switch is almost a 100% guarantee as you're doing the same thing as physically switching the cable, you're just using a dial instead of plugging and unplugging. There is some level of electronic wizardry that has to go on with the other switch. It likely turns the optical signal into an electrical signal and then back. Still shouldn't cause a problem though.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Im really considering this but nobody seems to have reviews on it
post #6 of 19 Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjmeyer View Post

Im really considering this but nobody seems to have reviews on it
This has inputs in reverse of what I want. It has 4 in and 1 out but I need 1 in and multiple out. any suggestions?
post #7 of 19 Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

I have heard good things. Monoprice seems to have the same thing. I would recommend ordering from them. Their return policy is solid in case you have any issues. Even with shipping, it should cost less than the Ebay item.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2#description
has relatively bad reviews. seems like this device though inexpensive wears out quickly and has cable seating problems. I hope that Monoprice comes up with a better quality powered toslink switch soon
post #8 of 19 Old 03-15-2013, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

This has inputs in reverse of what I want. It has 4 in and 1 out but I need 1 in and multiple out. any suggestions?

I thought you had two sources (cable and blu-ray) and need to be able to switch between them. If so, you need 2+ inputs and 1 output.

-Max
post #9 of 19 Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper View Post

I thought you had two sources (cable and blu-ray) and need to be able to switch between them. If so, you need 2+ inputs and 1 output.

-Max
No I need a minimum of 2 toslink outs. I need one out for toslink soundbar and one out for toslink wireless headphones.
so I need to switch from soundbar to headphones for late night cinema and also games.
The switches I see are 4-1 I need a 4-2 or better. and the feed must be switchable on both input AND output that would turn off feed to soundbar when headphones
are in use and turn off headphones feed when soundbar is in use.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-16-2013, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

after doing some research on the Monoprice manual switch it appears to be funky but I did find a some information as follows that explains the proper use of their switch.
because it is mechanical there are seating and alignment problems that the info helps overcome.
"
For those who do not under stand how Fiber Optics mechanically mate,
once you line up the laid over D (rotated 90 degrees clock wise) male cable
connector you insert it into the female receptacle l and gently apply pressure
until you feel it CLICK.
With that in mind, visualize a short male to female cable inside the switch.
male is the common connector of the switch so in order to change the internal
male connector to 1,2 or 3 push the slide at the end of the switch lever
BEFORE ROTATING THE LEVER then hold the slide and rotate the switch lever
to the next position and release the slide and SLIGHTLY move the switch lever
back and forth until you hear and feel the internal cable male connector
mate with the selected port/connection.
The only improvements I would make would be to add a couple of mounting tabs to secure these in place so you don't have to use both hands to operate it and have more than 3 connections for the common
connector to select from. Possible up to 6.

The switching is easy. There is an audible "click" as you get the ferrules lined up, but there is no indicator, which would have been nice. Sound is just like with a cable. Care must be taken to avoid breaking the ferrule. Depress the button
n fully BEFORE starting to turn the knob...this is a no
brainer, but it seems that there are some that don't understand this concept.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been using the manual switch for a few months now - I have the Logitech z680 5.1 speaker system which I originally used for my computer, but decided i'd rather have great sound on my TV (the bass response on that subwoofer is phenomenal). Unfortunately, the system only has direct input (from a sound card) and an optical input.

The switch itself doesn't create any loss in signal, so that part's fine, but it can sometimes be a little finicky to click the dial into place. More importantly, it's hugely obnoxious to have to get up every time I want to switch from watching something on DVR to Netflix through my Xbox360 or to my Blu-Ray player. Also, due to the constant cable switching, one of the optical inputs on the switch broke, so now the cable won't stay seated. I'm about to buy the remote-controlled switcher that mpjmeyer listed before:

It seems like it's just what I need, I'll re-post to update how it works out!
post #12 of 19 Old 03-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButcherBlock View Post

I've been using the manual switch for a few months now - I have the Logitech z680 5.1 speaker system which I originally used for my computer, but decided i'd rather have great sound on my TV (the bass response on that subwoofer is phenomenal). Unfortunately, the system only has direct input (from a sound card) and an optical input.

The switch itself doesn't create any loss in signal, so that part's fine, but it can sometimes be a little finicky to click the dial into place. More importantly, it's hugely obnoxious to have to get up every time I want to switch from watching something on DVR to Netflix through my Xbox360 or to my Blu-Ray player. Also, due to the constant cable switching, one of the optical inputs on the switch broke, so now the cable won't stay seated. I'm about to buy the remote-controlled switcher that mpjmeyer listed before:

It seems like it's just what I need, I'll re-post to update how it works out!
I also have the cheapo switch but I was considering the 64. Switch made by Shin Kin that is a 4-2 as now I have to mute my soundbar when using headphones
post #13 of 19 Old 03-23-2013, 09:50 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
http://www.amazon.com/Control-Audio-Selector-Switcher-Splitter/dp/B003C15798/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/185-3950919-8037059

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #14 of 19 Old 03-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41

That looks huge. I could see the size being an issue for many people.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-23-2013, 02:17 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
Certainly larger than the Monoprice 3:1 switch, but looks to be no larger than a mini DirecTV box.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for info on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #16 of 19 Old 03-23-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

I need 1 in and multiple out. any suggestions?

You might try stacking three of these (link) to get 1 IN, 4 OUT . . . I doubt signal degradation would be significant, but you would need to TEST...
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #17 of 19 Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

You might try stacking three of these (link) to get 1 IN, 4 OUT . . . I doubt signal degradation would be significant, but you would need to TEST...
_
These are made by Shin Kin in Taiwan . Here are the specs you can convert grams to ounces by google. It is about the size of a VCR tape. What I don't understand is the power supply being "optional" unless that means for different countries than USA.

Since both output ports are always ON. I figured all I need to do when using my new Sony MDR DS6500 wireless headphones is to silence the sound bar by simply hitting the mute switch on the remote or turning the soundbar off by switching inputs to analog where nothing is connected. Since my Panasonic TV, Direct TV and Blueray/or game are all connected to the router through a Ethernet switch, all have toslink connections. I asked Shin Kin about the warranty and their reply was to contact the seller? I see the item also on fleabay but as a Florida resident Shipping and state sales tax is added so Amazon appears to be best place

www.shinkin.com.tw/url/selector/
AOS-42TR-B

4x2 Active Digital Audio TOSlink Optical Selector Switch
Connect up to four optical sources to a set of two simultaneous outputs
prevent wear and tear on TOSlink cables and I/O jacks when manually disconnect and reconnect cables
Can be mounted horizontally or vertically
4 Optical Digital Inputs via TOSlink
2 Optical Digital Outputs via TOSlink (simultaneous outputs)

Color : Black Housing with Light Gray Screen Printing
Dimension : approx. 184 mm x 155 mm x 50 mm (Main Unit Only) 7.24X6.1X1.97 inches
Weight : approx. 690 grams (Main Unit Only)
Power supply : DC 9V / 250mA (Optional)
Remote Power Supply : CR2025 3V lithium button cell battery
Remote Custom Code : 866B
post #18 of 19 Old 03-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 68
28.3 grams to the ounce... er... so I read somewhere... cough, cough.... rolleyes.gif

It's for 'wall hung dude'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
post #19 of 19 Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

28.3 grams to the ounce... er... so I read somewhere... cough, cough.... rolleyes.gif
you googled biggrin.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Logitech Z680 5 1 Computer Speakers 5 Speaker Silver , Xbox 360 Console
Gear in this thread - Z680 by PriceGrabber.com