Pioneer SC-68 Getting HDMI Audio and Video to work simultaneously from Mac - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-16-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to the forum - but have lurked for a while.

Just set up a new home theatre with SC-68, Klipsch RF 82 + Ref series 7.1 & Paradigm sub. Also have Epson 3020 3D projector. When it all works together it is the best sounding and looking system I've ever had. However, I'm having a few issues getting HDMI audio and video to work from a Mac. I am using a monoprice ($20) mini-display port to HDMI adapter. I am testing with both a late 2011 iMac and a mid-2011 Macbook Air. Both are exhibiting similar issues.

Seems like when the Epson projector is running, I can only get HDMI video to work, with no audio. With the projector off, I can get PCM audio to work from the Mac side, but it is pretty intermittent*. When it does work, I can send all audio to the HDMI in 2 ch PCM or 8 ch PCM at up to 192kHz.

*by intermittent, I mean if I change the input on the SC-68 the Mac unloads the driver and switches back to another output (like the onboard DAC/Speakers). I will have to switch the SC-68 back to the correct HDMI in and then disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable to get it to re-load the driver and enumerate the output. Doesn't work every time - sometimes take 3 or more cycles to work.

Now, if I try this with the Epson running (or even just turn it on while the HDMI audio is working fine) the audio stops, the HDMI audio driver is disabled on the Mac side, the video switches off to the main monitor and then recognizes the external monitor connection and feeds the video out correctly - generally. With the projector on, no amount of HDMI reconnecting, power cycling of the SC-68 or video mode switching will get the audio running.

I've disabled the HDMI control on the projector, but I am not sure what HDMI controls I have on the SC-68.

My current theory is that the cheap monoprice mini-DP-HDMI adapter is to blame (since Apple only reference 3 adapters having audio-over-hdmi support - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241), however the fact that I can get it to work under certain conditions leads me to suspect something in the SC-68. I have noticed a possibly related issue in that the projector needs to be turned on first before the SC-68 otherwise HDMI video will not display. (Possibly an HDCP negotiation issue?).

Anyway, if anyone has some tips on Mac-to-SC-68 over HDMI connectivity, I'd like to hear them!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page