AVS Forum banner

New home theater audio and processing recommendations - what do you guys recommend?

470 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Kilian.ca 
#1 ·
So I am starting my home theater build and want to be on the look out for good deals for my audio and I see some guys have amps hooked up to amps hooked up to sound processors and I need some HELP
. So here is what I am getting/got for audio.....

Projector - plan on Panasonic 8000u

Sub - SVS pb-12 plus or pb13 ultra

Speakers - Klipsch rf82 or rf7

So im lacking in the audio dept.... I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH upstair and will probbly keep it there.

I will also plan on getting a power conditioner (dont know how usefull they are but everyone seems to have them

Will probbly get and Oppo for Bluray

So what wold you guys recamend for a GOOD reciever and other equipment?

From what I understand if you get a good reciever you dont need seperate amps and sound processors correct? I mean if I had 10-15K laying around I would get a amp for each channel and a high end processor but does it make THAT big of a differance?

Thanks again guys!!

See less See more
#2 ·
It depends on who you ask and your own views on SQ. You should know by now the mainstream opinion here is all amps sound the same: buy on the minimum features and power required. Here people especially like receivers with the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room correction (which paradoxically is not found in high-end stuff). Everything else is secondary importance by a long shot.

Of course some believe high-end and separates can do better. With high-end stuff (costing thousands) it's almost always not THAT big of a difference (well the $10K Bryston SP3 owners would disagree
) - the law of diminishing returns. Some believe that high-end is all a conspiracy.

Often there's more to it than just SQ in high-end: the looks, longer warranty, pride of ownership etc.

People buy Emotiva power amps not because they necessarily improve SQ but they are cheap, "bang for the buck" esp. during discounts and look good on a rack. Even our resident guru who believes all amps sound the same and who already has a flagship Yamaha Z11 with plenty of power still has to have Emo on top.

If you really have 15K to spend our ultra high-end HT gear forum would be a better place to hang out. Oh here people don't like power conditioners either. If you intend to buy OPPO you're definitely not a budget consumer; the picture is not that much better than a sub-$100 player.

#3 ·
Thanks Man, appreciate the help. Yeah I wish I had 10K laying around but not during this build
So what you’re saying if I get a good receiver like a pioneer elite sc-61(or something with a good sound processor) I would not have a need for separate amps (125 watts a channel should be just fine + my wife doesn’t like it loud
I also appreciate the insight on the oppo, I have read that they are soooo good by people that have them but might just be more of a status thing. I had a pioneer BDP-51 for a few years and replaced it with a low level $150 player and picture looked the same to me.

Any other pieces of equipment I should look into? I might scrap the power conditioner
+ plus if lighting hits my insurance will get me all new equipment = upgrade time
(Im and insurance agent)

Thanks again

#4 ·
You're welcome. From what you say I doubt you really need power amps and the Pioneer will do if you like Pioneer. It doesn't have Audyssey but their own version of room correction. There are followers of Pioneer here too, it's just that here people tend to like Audyssey better.

Previous models of Oppo have very accurate HDMI video outputs from measurements. The current models have not been measured. If you are after a pop or wow factor (by boosting contrast, colour etc.) then it's a personal choice to suit your own taste, but not necessarily the original intention of the content producer. I don't have Oppo so all I can say is it is a very accurate video player but once you score 100% or very nearly 100% there is little room to 'improve' on. If you're getting the top Pioneer AVR I think it has the Marvell chip too. While it's not necessarily implemented exactly the same way in the Oppo and Pioneer I doubt one is that much better than the other.

You should have some surge protection (not the same as conditioner) for your HT equipment. While some say you should install whole house protection it may not be possible or practical. In that case at least have some surge protectors.

I still use my Pioneer BDP-51FD as my main BDP.

There is always something that can be upgraded if you have the cash but there's no rush. A new AVR needs some time to set it up so let it settle in first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.