SC-67 - Is it possible to watch one source and listen to another - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to watch one source (example HDMI 1) and listen to another (Phono Input) on pioneer's sc-67

Seems like this should be easy put i can't find a way to do it.

In the input setup screen it looks like you can create inputs pick an audio source but you can only use the video input once. I just want to be able to pick an choose from my existing sources.

Thanks,
Dario

PS. This SC-67 is starting to piss me off. Has great sound and some crazy stuff but lacking on some of the old school basics.
We/I commonly watch a channel like the holiday fireplace well listening to vinyl or XM radio (via portable unit).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 286
^^
if I understand you right, you want to play video from HDMI and hear sound from an another source. with the Pioneer, I think the feature for mixing a video source with an audio source is in Multichannel Audio setup.

but no, you can't mate an HDMI video source to another audio source directly. HDMI inputs are greyed out in the multichannel audio assignment menu.

& just like your other "pissing you off" complaint, this is no different than other flagship receivers wink.gif

I just checked the manual for the Denon 4520, their corresponding model to the SC-68:

for their Video Select setting: "Play the picture and sound of the input source."
I quote from the manual -

"It is not possible to select HDMI input signals."

what you possibly can do is change the audio signal selected for that input, check out pg 60 in the manual...

I haven't tried this on an HDMI input, but for any input, the audio signal is selected in the priority of HDMI, Digital, Analog when it's set to Auto. for say your cable box input, which could be HDMI, you can try manually changing the audio input to analog & see what that gets you smile.gif I know this works 100% on non-HDMI sources but haven't had the desire to try it for an HDMI source. you can do the forum & yourself a favor & try it & post your results in the SC-68/67 Owners Thread.

I still think you're expecting a modern HT receiver to do all these combinations intuitively and they just don't work that way. Pioneer is not unique. again, if you take the time to read the manuals for the comparable Denon & Onkyo models, you'll find the same "limitations".

receivers from less mainstream CE companies like Anthem, Rotel, Arcam, typically have less convenience features than ones from Pioneer, Denon, Onyko, Yamaha.

Marantz being based on same platform as Denon also bound to same "limitations".

if you're willing to spend $8000-25000 on processors like the Classe, McIntosh, ADA, Anthem, Bryston, Theta you might find one that has that kind of flexibility, maybe... but not in the receiver market. but even those hi-priced processors are focused more on processing, having the best analog audio sections and not so much connectivity features. you might read the Anthem D2v manual and see what it offers, but it's going to cost you close to $9K. and the new Bryston is also about that much $ and has far fewer connectivity features than you $2000 SC-67.

Denon, Onkyo & Pioneer seem to be the leaders in convenience, i-app, and networked media features in receivers.

off my soapbox

try the audio select feature, button on the remote & front panel, not sure it's in the i-app but it might do what you want. let us know what happens smile.gif

Steve
post #3 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Steve,

I'll look into this weekend. Definitely don't see anything in the iControlAV2012 app regarding audio select.

I think i've hit the audio select button and it toggles when i was playing around and it switch the audio between Auto , HDMI , Analog or Digital ... so your right that may work as a cheat. I'll have to split the RCA audio from the SiriusXM receiver and route it into both the designated input source (CD) and the other into the RCA audio inputs for the input the PVR is connected to. That will give me the ability to do the most common Video audio mix I do (TV video with music).

ManualClip.jpg 163k .jpg file

Any advice on how best to split RCA signal? simple RCA split cable ?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6261&seq=1&format=2

Thanks,
Dario
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ManualClip.jpg (163.3 KB, 2 views)
post #4 of 4 Old 01-20-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Update: I split the analog audio signal from the Sirius receiver and connected it to the analog audio input jacks for sat/cbl and cd on my sc67. Using the input select command on the remote (can't do it from icontrolav app) I can switch the audio to either be the sat/cbl signal sent over Hdmi or the analog Sirius audio.
This works for the main zone but the analog audio won't be sent to zone 4 over Hdmi. Zone 4 will get the original Hdmi audio stream.

It's a workaround for being able to watch one source and listen to another but still lame since your limited to what you physically connect to the audio inputs.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page