Can I get antenna direct into my receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
KLC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in the LA suburbs and have a lot of over the air broadcast stations to choose from and we've used that instead of cable. We just remodeled our house and now I'm trying to reinstall all of my gear. I have a 4 year old 52"Samsung LCD TV, don't have the model # with me right now and a Yamaha RX-V465 receiver. Before the remodel I brought the antenna coaxial straight into the TV then took the sound out with an optical link to the receiver. I'm wondering if there is someway to simplify the cords and cables snaking around and input the antenna signal directly into the receiver, that would allow me one HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. The receiver has only an FM radio coaxial jack on the back. Is there an adapter I can use to convert the antenna signal to an HDMI input? Are there other receivers that have an antenna jack on them? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 AM

Liked: 12
Whatever setup you have is already optimal for your setup. If you want more simplicity, you probably need to upgrade your TV, which supports ARC and 5.1 audio output over ARC channel. Also your receiver need to support ARC as well. Since ARC is a new feature, expect various issues in implementation within TV/receiver and you have to wade through murky waters to troubleshoot various issues. If you want to simplify, wiring to TV, there is one more option, buy a ATSC receiver which can output HDMI. The latest Boxee does it, and there are other ATSC receivers, some even with DVR support without paying any subscription fee (like boxee). Head to "HDTV Technical" section of this site to know, which are the latest ATSC HD receivers. AFAIK, there are no receivers in the market which can receive ATSC signals and decode audio/video.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post

I live in the LA suburbs and have a lot of over the air broadcast stations to choose from and we've used that instead of cable. We just remodeled our house and now I'm trying to reinstall all of my gear. I have a 4 year old 52"Samsung LCD TV, don't have the model # with me right now and a Yamaha RX-V465 receiver. Before the remodel I brought the antenna coaxial straight into the TV then took the sound out with an optical link to the receiver. I'm wondering if there is someway to simplify the cords and cables snaking around and input the antenna signal directly into the receiver, that would allow me one HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. The receiver has only an FM radio coaxial jack on the back. Is there an adapter I can use to convert the antenna signal to an HDMI input? Are there other receivers that have an antenna jack on them? Thanks for any help you can give me.

AV receivers don't have tv tuners. The antenna terminal on your Yamaha is for FM radio only and is useless for tv reception. Your old setup was optimal for OTA reception.

Steve S.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
KLC

Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'll stick with what I did previously.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page