Upgrade: Polk Audio, Emotiva? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I really do like movies, and few years ago I build my own projector screen for my Sanyo PLV Z5
I have 2 amps: an old one (JVC RX888 5.1) that I don't use anymore, and a Pioneer VSX 920K
My speakers are TSI300 for front, CS2 for center and Jamo Alto Signature for rear

I am redoing my family room, and was thinking about a serious upgrade for movies but also to listen music as an "audiophile" from my oppo player (SACD and DVD-A))
I thought 1st about new speakers: I like Polk audio, and i was thinking about the RTI A9 or RTI 12 that are cheaper
For the amps, I was thinking about Emotiva......XPA 2 + XPA3 or XPA5
I sent them an email, and they are out of stock for the XPA2 and they are offering 2 x XPA-100 instead
What do you think?
What speakers would you recommend for Emotiva amps? Are Polk a good choice?
What would be the best pick: RTI A9, RTI A7, RTI 12?
Any other brand?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by french_guy View Post

Hello all,

I really do like movies, and few years ago I build my own projector screen for my Sanyo PLV Z5
I have 2 amps: an old one (JVC RX888 5.1) that I don't use anymore, and a Pioneer VSX 920K
My speakers are TSI300 for front, CS2 for center and Jamo Alto Signature for rear

I am redoing my family room, and was thinking about a serious upgrade for movies but also to listen music as an "audiophile" from my oppo player (SACD and DVD-A))
I thought 1st about new speakers: I like Polk audio, and i was thinking about the RTI A9 or RTI 12 that are cheaper
For the amps, I was thinking about Emotiva......XPA 2 + XPA3 or XPA5
I sent them an email, and they are out of stock for the XPA2 and they are offering 2 x XPA-100 instead
What do you think?
What speakers would you recommend for Emotiva amps? Are Polk a good choice?
What would be the best pick: RTI A9, RTI A7, RTI 12?
Any other brand?

thanks

The RTiA9 and RTi12 on on par with each other. I would choose one of those. The RTi12 can be had on Polk ebay for only $375 each. They are refurbs but everyone I've seen have said they are like new. Heck of a bargain and a very good speaker especially for the price. The XPA-3 driving your front three would work fine or the XPA-5 would be a good choice. Sometimes Fry's will put the RTi12's on sale.

http://stores.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Direct/Towers-Floorstanding-/_i.html?_fsub=160111119

Denon AVR4311CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

The RTiA9 and RTi12 on on par with each other. I would choose one of those. The RTi12 can be had on Polk ebay for only $375 each. They are refurbs but everyone I've seen have said they are like new. Heck of a bargain and a very good speaker especially for the price. The XPA-3 driving your front three would work fine or the XPA-5 would be a good choice. Sometimes Fry's will put the RTi12's on sale.

http://stores.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Direct/Towers-Floorstanding-/_i.html?_fsub=160111119

I have this same question. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the RTiA9s and am wondering if they are that significant of an upgrade over the RTi12s. Does anyone know? I posted this in the Polk thread and it sounded like the housing was the majore difference. Sometimes Polk ebay has the A9s for 499 a piece. I am wondering if they are worth $125 more a piece, thoughts?
post #4 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

I have this same question. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the RTiA9s and am wondering if they are that significant of an upgrade over the RTi12s. Does anyone know? I posted this in the Polk thread and it sounded like the housing was the majore difference. Sometimes Polk ebay has the A9s for 499 a piece. I am wondering if they are worth $125 more a piece, thoughts?

If you did a blind test between the two I highly doubt you could tell the difference. I prefer the look of the A9 but that's just me. If I were on a tighter budget I'd go for the RTi12. If running an amp there's also the choice of the LSi15's on amazon at a very attractive price. It is a more musical speaker.

Denon AVR4311CI
Some audio history:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:

If you did a blind test between the two I highly doubt you could tell the difference. I prefer the look of the A9 but that's just me. If I were on a tighter budget I'd go for the RTi12. If running an amp there's also the choice of the LSi15's on amazon at a very attractive price. It is a more musical speaker.

I didn't realize that. That is a very interesting option. How are the LSi15's for movie viewing? I like that they are a musical speaker since I would do movies 60% and music 40%. You just added a whole new complexity to my already full speaker dilemna, haha.

Have you listened to both the 12s and A9s? If they truly are very similar in sound, I might as well get the RTi12s and save money. That is if the LSi15s dont get tossed into the mix.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't realize that. That is a very interesting option. How are the LSi15's for movie viewing? I like that they are a musical speaker since I would do movies 60% and music 40%. You just added a whole new complexity to my already full speaker dilemna, haha.

Have you listened to both the 12s and A9s? If they truly are very similar in sound, I might as well get the RTi12s and save money. That is if the LSi15s dont get tossed into the mix.

I've only auditioned the RTi12's. I am going by all I have researched in the Polk thread and elsewhere between the two. I researched the two to death before opting for the LSi15. To be real, unless you can put the two in your home and compare you can only go by what you research.

Denon AVR4311CI
Some audio history:

post #7 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:

I've only auditioned the RTi12's. I am going by all I have researched in the Polk thread and elsewhere between the two. I researched the two to death before opting for the LSi15. To be real, unless you can put the two in your home and compare you can only go by what you research.

Yeah, that is how I am feeling. Either one is a great speaker and I dont think I will get a chance to audition and compare. Since the LSi15s are discontinued and no one around me has the A9s you are right. Lately I have been combing the reviews on A9s vs 12s and thought I landed on the A9s until you presented me with this interesting option. I do need to look for the speakers that pair nicely with the LSi15s and research them a little. Did you complete the 5.1 setup with the LSi's? It sounds like regardless i will need a dedicated amp and a avr to handl 4ohm. Luckily I am starting a new HT setup so i can build whatever i want from scratch. This stuff is all very overwhelming and I feel so luck to have great people like yourself for advice. Thanks! Even though I am still up in the are on what to by RTi12s, A9s and now LSi15s, hahaa
post #8 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, that is how I am feeling. Either one is a great speaker and I dont think I will get a chance to audition and compare. Since the LSi15s are discontinued and no one around me has the A9s you are right. Lately I have been combing the reviews on A9s vs 12s and thought I landed on the A9s until you presented me with this interesting option. I do need to look for the speakers that pair nicely with the LSi15s and research them a little. Did you complete the 5.1 setup with the LSi's? It sounds like regardless i will need a dedicated amp and a avr to handl 4ohm. Luckily I am starting a new HT setup so i can build whatever i want from scratch. This stuff is all very overwhelming and I feel so luck to have great people like yourself for advice. Thanks! Even though I am still up in the are on what to by RTi12s, A9s and now LSi15s, hahaa

I have a Marantz SR7005 and am currently running the LSi15's without an amp. I play up to -15 volume with no problem. I do plan on adding an amp in the future to play closer to reference. I pulled the trigger on a new sub so my budget won't let me add an amp til later. I'm just more picky about music than I am HT. They sound fine to me for HT but as I said I'm more picky about music. Yep, like a kid in a candy store. You have a nickel and there are 50 different nickel flavors. I think you'll be happy with any of them.

Denon AVR4311CI
Some audio history:

post #9 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:

I have a Marantz SR7005 and am currently running the LSi15's without an amp. I play up to -15 volume with no problem. I do plan on adding an amp in the future to play closer to reference. I pulled the trigger on a new sub so my budget won't let me add an amp til later. I'm just more picky about music than I am HT. They sound fine to me for HT but as I said I'm more picky about music. Yep, like a kid in a candy store. You have a nickel and there are 50 different nickel flavors. I think you'll be happy with any of them.

We must have the same taste. I was looking at that Marantz as well or the Denon 3313. What center and surrounds are you using. LSi7s? I was looking for the Polk LSiC for a center and couldnt find them. I noticed some recommended the CS20, is that just too dialed down of a speaker for the LSi series though?
post #10 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We must have the same taste. I was looking at that Marantz as well or the Denon 3313. What center and surrounds are you using. I was looking for the Polk LSiC and couldnt find them. I noticed some recommended the CS20, is that just too dialed down of a speaker for the LSi series though?

I love the SR7005 but of course the Denon is a fine one too. I'm using the CS2 series 2 for a center channel mounted above my display. I could not find the LSiC either but will keep an eye out for a used one. The CS2 sounds fine though. No problem with understanding dialog. I'm not sure what I'm missing if I had the LSiC so I'll just continue being happy with the CS2. I'll go for an amp before a CC. I'm using some old Polk RT15i's for surrounds. Works for me.

Denon AVR4311CI
Some audio history:

post #11 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
So RTi 12 at $375 each is a good deal?
Any chance to find a better deal somewhere?
post #12 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_guy View Post

So RTi 12 at $375 each is a good deal?
Any chance to find a better deal somewhere?

That's as good as it gets for those speakers. It's a bargain for what you're getting and on par with the higher priced A9's. Some times Fry's will put them on sale at about that price.

Denon AVR4311CI
Some audio history:

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page