Onkyo M282 Amp to power the surrounds. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well one of the surround channels on my Anthem MCA50 5 channel amp has failed.
I was weighing my options when I hit on the idea of getting a 2 channel stereo amp to power the surrounds.
So I go on EBay and search for options and came across an Onkyo M282 manufacturer refurbished with no bids and 5 minutes left.
So I bought it for $110 on impulse because it was a fairly cheap solution.
It's rated at 100w x2.
Any opinions on how this will work for the surrounds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It should be fine as long as you don't have some sort of large power hungry surrounds with difficult ohm loads or impedance dips. With most normal surrounds that amp should be more than enough.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

It should be fine as long as you don't have some sort of large power hungry surrounds with difficult ohm loads or impedance dips. With most normal surrounds that amp should be more than enough.

Thanks, I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver FXi Surround Speakers that I bought in 1999.
The surround speakers are a dipole or bipole design, depending on how you wire them at the terminals.
Also bi wireable and each speaker has two 5.5" mid-bass Ceramic Coated Aluminum Magnesium (C-CAM) drivers and two 1" gold dome tweeters.
I currently have them wired bipole.
Is the Onkyo M282 an OK choice for these speakers? They are a lot of speaker in a small package.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm not sure what the specs on your speakers are. As long as they're not 4ohms with dips even lower than 4ohms I think you will be alright. According to Onkyo that amplifier can deliver 125watts at 6ohms. It doesn't have a 4ohm rating. Here's the link.http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=M-282&class=Amplifier&p=s
post #5 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc851 View Post

So I bought it for $110 on impulse because it was a fairly cheap solution.
eek.gif...I was considering getting a m282 up to a few hours ago...I don't see a m282 going for that cheap in the eBay completed listings...hmm.

I chose not to get the m282 because I was concerned it was too much of a power difference from my 140w/ch receiver. Also, I didn't see any new ones for less than $200 (not a fan of used/refurbished gear), I decided on using my previous receiver as a simple amplifier. Complete overkill, but ended up being a good financial value...plus its 130w/ch. cool.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

eek.gif...I was considering getting a m282 up to a few hours ago...I don't see a m282 going for that cheap in the eBay completed listings...hmm.

I chose not to get the m282 because I was concerned it was too much of a power difference from my 140w/ch receiver. Also, I didn't see any new ones for less than $200 (not a fan of used/refurbished gear), I decided on using my previous receiver as a simple amplifier. Complete overkill, but ended up being a good financial value...plus its 130w/ch. cool.gif

As it turns out this amp may be a little too high for the space I have! I'll have to wait until I get it to verify.
But it sure did seem like a screaming good deal at $110 so if it doesn't fit I'm sure I will have no problem selling.
It's manufacturer refurbished so just like a new one.

Here's the completed listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221177792700
post #7 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Let us know how you like it. I'm waiting for my rackshelf to ship so I can get my Denon 3310 in my component rack as an amplifier...its currently sitting on cardboard boxes in my living room. rolleyes.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

Let us know how you like it. I'm waiting for my rackshelf to ship so I can get my Denon 3310 in my component rack as an amplifier...its currently sitting on cardboard boxes in my living room. rolleyes.gif

Well I managed to squeeze the Onkyo amp in my system by making more vertical clearance.
My two rear channels work great now BUT truth is my system is getting too component heavy now.
Though the Onkyo fixed the problem I also can't help thinking about how inefficient it is to have two amps in the system.

So I am considering going to a good 5 channel amp if I can find the right one at a good price.
Eventually I want to get the Anthem repaired (right surround channel dead) and then I will sell the Anthem and the Onkyo.
But for now all is good!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo M 282 2 Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page