Suitable external amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys,

Considering my upgrade path here, I currently own Paradigm Monitor 7 v5's and a CC-390. I eventually wish to upgrade to Studio 100's and am after a new amp to have on hand until I pull the trigger on a pair.

I know the Emotiva XPA-3 suits the need well but here's the question. Can I power the monitor 7's in the mean time with this amp. Monitors use ~125w with 180w being the max.

Is there a better amp in the price range with maybe an adjustable gain that's better suited to my needs?

Thanks for the help,
Nik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridfive View Post

Hey guys,

Considering my upgrade path here, I currently own Paradigm Monitor 7 v5's and a CC-390. I eventually wish to upgrade to Studio 100's and am after a new amp to have on hand until I pull the trigger on a pair.

I know the Emotiva XPA-3 suits the need well but here's the question. Can I power the monitor 7's in the mean time with this amp. Monitors use ~125w with 180w being the max.

Is there a better amp in the price range with maybe an adjustable gain that's better suited to my needs?

Thanks for the help,
Nik

Yes, the XPA-3 would work fine with your speakers. There wouldn't be a improvement in sound unless your current amp/receiver is clipping. There are no other comparable amps in the Emotiva's price range that I know of. There are Outlaw Audio's amps but they are close to twice the price.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
My current reciever Yamaha Rx-v667 has 90w per channel. You don't believe I would notice a difference in the bass by upgrading amps?

Like I mentioned earlier Im in the market mostly for when I get the studios but I wouldn't complain if I could notice a difference with my monitors in the mean time wink.gif

Thanks
post #4 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 135
The avr should adust the signal to the Emotiva amp. Have you consider some used amps? Somethime a great bargin can be found.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #5 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
The actual wattage needed depends on the SPL ('volume') you listen at and the speaker's sensitivity, which you can find out in the amp and avr faqs. The wattage rating for a speaker is only a general guide for what amps to use. Most of the time only a few Watts are used at normal volume, not a minimum of 125W!

***Beware that importing Emo to Can will cost you a few hundred more. You are required to pay freight, duty, tax, brokerage fees for FedEx and tax on brokerage fees in USD to Emo upfront.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page