How to add an amp to my passive subwoofer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current surround sound system is the Sony BDV-E770W, it's an all around great system but the subwoofer that came with it is a passive sub, and doesn't really have very good bass. I'm looking for a way to make the sub pump just a little bit more, but I don't know anything about speaker systems.

I've been doing a bunch of research online, and I've seen many suggestions, such as adding plate amplifiers or trying to convert it into a powered sub, but none of the solutions I've read really seem to fit my current situation.

The back of the receiver that came with the surround sound unit has 5 individual ports for the speakers to plug in to. 4 ports for the speakers, and 1 port for the sub. The wires that are used to connect the speakers and the sub are standard speaker wires, except the end that plugs into the receiver is a custom connection that just clicks into the back of the receiver, and end that goes to the speakers and the sub is your standard two wire (+ and -) speaker connection.

Every solution I have read about adding an additional amp to the sub talks about RCA connections or running the sub to my two front speakers connections on the receiver, however my receiver has no RCA connections, just 5 custom outlets for their specific color coded plugs to click into.

So I guess my main question is, is there some kind of amp that I can just put in between the sub and the receiver? IE: connect the two + - speaker wires into the amp, and then run another set of speaker wires out of the amp and into the sub?

Any info or help anybody could give me regarding this matter would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sorry for the lengthy post

Thanks! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Scrap this whole idea of trying to make a HTIB system into something its not designed to do....which is upgrade.

If you want better sound, save or spend your money on another setup.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page