Pioneer sc-1227-k - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just recently purchased a sc-1227-k reciever and I'm having a few issues I need some help fixing. I have my reciever connected through an Ethernet connection directly to my wireless router.

The problem I'm having is that when I try and connect to my pc through the 'net' feature the reciever just shows the wps access point but doesn't show the pc, it appears to just lockup. If I turn off the receiver then turn it right back on the wps connection shows the pc and I can now browse it. Why won't it connect without powering off the unit?

2nd problem is if I connect the sub to the main sub out port and run the automatic speaker config on the 5.1 setup, it doesn't recognize the sub. I have to plug it into the sub zone1 outpu then it works. But I plan on hooking up the 3 zones and I won't be able to if I'm connecting the sub to zone 1 and the main sub out doesn't work.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

This reciever is the equivallent to the sc-63 ellite if that helps for some responses.

I have talked to the pioneer support tech about this and haven't really got an answer. Further more, this receiver is supposed to have 3 multichannel zones. I was going to set those up only to find out that the main zone, and zone two are the only zones to have the capability of all the output features. (ie. internet radio, etc.), zone 3 can't. Even worse, zone two uses two of the 7.2 channel speaker outputs for connecting the speakers which means I can only run two speakers in zone two. Zone 3, I would need to connect another amp to it in order to get more options as zone 2 and zone 3 are analog outputs.

The tech told me even pioneers best amps don't have digital outputs on the other zones, only analog.

Has anyone had experience setting one of these receivers up?

thanks
post #3 of 17 Old 01-25-2013, 03:20 PM

I have the same receiver . Not much help with the zone stuff, I am only running one zone. I too am having some issues with the internet, AirPlay , and the unit staying connected. Not sure if it is my brand of router causing issues or the Pioneer. AirPlay and the cool iPad app will work brilliantly then poof, nothing. AirPlay symbol gone from all my apple devices, and app gives error messages. I truly hope it is not an internal component issue in the Pioneer, I already have an Onkyo getting repaired.
What router do you use for wifi?
post #4 of 17 Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 325
"2nd problem is if I connect the sub to the main sub out port and run the automatic speaker config on the 5.1 setup, it doesn't recognize the sub. I have to plug it into the sub zone1 outpu then it works. But I plan on hooking up the 3 zones and I won't be able to if I'm connecting the sub to zone 1 and the main sub out doesn't work."

it ain't going to work that way.. see my comments below! you're thinking it should do something it isn't going to do & wondering why? the calibration is for the sub in the MAIN zone, not zone 2 or 3. the room correction will recognize ONLY a sub in the main zone & that's all it's going to calibrate. also, make sure you plug the sub in the preamp section not for another zone. you can calibrate only the main room sub. and it must be plugged into the sub jack in the preamp section NOT in a sub jack for zone 2.

"Zone 3, I would need to connect another amp to it in order to get more options as zone 2 and zone 3 are analog outputs."

yes, you will. that's in the manual, if you had bothered to read it rolleyes.gif

how Pioneer does multizones is NO different than every other receiver company, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha all do them same way. Zone 2 & 3 are analog connections to another receiver or amp.

I highly recommend that you read thru the manual for the 1222, especially the multizone sections since that's where you're confused. the manual is pretty clear as to connections, what inputs will be available, and how MCACC setup works. it's all there.

plus, receivers now have a setup disc that guides you to hookups. some have been tripped up because they expect the receiver to do something it's not designed to do, especially in the multizone area. for example, some thought the receiver should convert analog to digital or all sources to HDMI when NONE of them have ever done that.

also suggest you go to the dedicated owners threads for SC-63 and the SC-1222. you'll find owners there that can help you.

Steve
post #5 of 17 Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Much appreciate the responses.

The router I'm using is a linksys ES4500. I never experienced any drop in internet connection when using the iControlAV2012 and the ipad. It worked great. Never did try the airplay feature, just hitting the internet radio. I had issues with the iControlAV which didn't connect as expected but once I install the 2012 version it worked perfect. The real issue is the connection to the pc and reading the files from it. I shouldn't have to power off the receiver then on again to get it to work.

The tech did quiz me about Airplay working so I'm wondering if that is a ongoing issue. There isn't a firmware update for the sc-1227, but the tech told me to use the firmware update from the sc-63 which is the same. I did that before my return policy ran out at the store just in case it was going to do something it shouldn't have.

As for the "read the manual' and use the "disk". Do you honestly think that I would go through the time to sit on hold with the pioneer support without doing that first? Believe me its a lot easier to go through a manual and use the interactive tools. The connections diagrams is great, however like I said following those configurations and connecting it exactly as it tells me in the interactive setup wizards shows to use the Main sub out for a 5.1 config. That doesn't work and I have to use the pre-out zone 1 sub to get it to work properly.

I will look into the dedicated thread for the sc-63. thanks.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-26-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
I was a wee bit harsh on ya, sorry...redface.gif

"Do you honestly think that I would go through the time to sit on hold with the pioneer support without doing that first?"

you wouldn't believe the number of posts from people who do that rolleyes.gif or come here for tech support since they haven't bothered to read. I've been here a long time & posted in numerous Pioneer threads, started 2 owner's threads myself since I was an early adopter of several Pioneer flagship models, including their very 1st class D AVR.

and in the last few months, there have been numerous posts on setting up multizones where the user was trying to do something no AVR does & wondering why. one person, who said he was a software engr, said in multiple posts he was pissed at his receiver & Pioneer because it wouldn't upsample audio to HDMI when no receiver has ever done that plus to make matters worse, he pre-wired his rooms before figuring out or asking what devices he needed to accomplish his goals. that's smart rolleyes.gif he had just assumed that receivers did this & Pioneer was lame for not doing it! when the fact was he didn't know squat about how HDMI was implemented in a receiver & didn't ask. he said the manual implied it did convert. reality was he assumed it would because that's what he wanted it to do; he ignored the sentences that said it doesn't send digital & HDMI to zone 2 & 3. and receivers have never sent digital to multiple zones. he read 1+1 & came up with 3.

I start by asking if they've read the manual. I've even found many posters who say "this doesn't work, I've looked in the manual & there's nothing there" and within a few minutes I can give them the page number, and take screenshots of the information they claim isn't there rolleyes.gif

makes one wonder eek.gif

so forgive me for assuming the worst because of the fact that I read so many posts from people who need saving from themselves, either not bothering to read or doing something "less than optimal" wink.gif in their setups.

and some will just argue with you saying you're wrong when you have done the homework, read background materials & giving them good advice. that's the worst case...stubbornly rejecting that they're flat out wrong or posting really bad advice. when I've made a mistake, or someone shows that I'm wrong, I'll post it & thank 'em for correcting me.

people who know my posting history know me as one who has posted thousands of times on tips, advice, helping people figure out problems & trying to learn new things. I try to get details on the technology Pioneer uses, have met & talked to marketing folks at Pioneer on behalf of Pioneer enthusiasts, and try to help as much as I can when I spend time here.

I apologize for being somewhat abrupt.

rant over smile.gif

Steve
post #7 of 17 Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 AM

I use a linksys as well, the ea3500. Did a full reset of said router yesterday and hope that cures it. For the price point of this receiver( when on sale ), I am very impressed with its features and sound quality. Too bad about some of the zone limitations but may be into a much more expensive unit to get one or more of those features, if any avr does them.

Cheers,

Steve
post #8 of 17 Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink73 View Post

I use a linksys as well, the ea3500. Did a full reset of said router yesterday and hope that cures it. For the price point of this receiver( when on sale ), I am very impressed with its features and sound quality. Too bad about some of the zone limitations but may be into a much more expensive unit to get one or more of those features, if any avr does them.

Cheers,

Steve

glad you're getting things squared away.

limitations - there are no receivers, even the top models, from any mfg that

1. converts analog to digital
2. will send digital coax/opt to another zone
3. will convert analog & digital audio to HDMI

been that way for many years, since the beginning of HDMI. there are 3rd party devices that will do these but not built into receivers.

summer 2012, Pioneer introduced a dedicated independent HDMI for a 2nd zone, they call zone 4. and you can play 1 source in main zone & another source in zone 4. this feature is in the SC-68 & 67. Denon's 4520 & Onkyo's 5010 also does this but Pioneer was the 1st one out with it.

so if you want HDMI in a 2nd zone, you can but still none of them convert analog/dig audio to HDMI. if you want to send HDMI to several zones then you'll need to add an external matrix switcher.

if someone needs to convert dig audio to HDMI or vice versa, there are boxes that will accommodate doing that, adding or stripping off the HDCP encryption in the HDMI signal. check sites like HDTVSupply, Monoprice, Ram Electronics who carry specialized switchers, converters & splitters for custom installations.

just don't expect the receiver to do it. 'cause it won't. maybe that's something for future models but not yet.

Steve
post #9 of 17 Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

The pioneer sc-1527-k which is the one just above this receiver has two HDMI outs as far as I understood from the sales guy. Which means you would be able to have a separate HDMI to another zone I think if that's how it works but I don't know forsure.

As for one of my issues with the wps access point locking up, I don't know if maybe I just got lucky but I had some success today. I was going to return the unit as suggested by the pioneer tech support that maybe there was something wrong with it but just before I boxed it up I thought I would try the firmware again. This time I downloaded the firmware fro this unit instead of the firmware for the sc-63 which was the tech support suggestion. The install seemed to work fine with really nothing happening since it said I had the latest version even though the bin files in the unzipped folder were different than the other firmware, however after doing that it connected with no problem.

So now when I go to browse to the pc it connects right away. It does show however another wps access point in the list just below my pc, but I don't know if that's the norm or if it's picking up another device it doesn't recognize. (ie. xbox, printer, etc.) Just guessing on that.

I have yet to get my zones configured, still working on that one.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesiss View Post

The pioneer sc-1527-k which is the one just above this receiver has two HDMI outs as far as I understood from the sales guy. Which means you would be able to have a separate HDMI to another zone I think if that's how it works but I don't know forsure.

yes, that's a way to do am HDMI 2nd zone.

the only difference is that using the dual HDMI outputs, you can only listen/watch one source in both rooms. with the latest dedicated HDMI 2nd zone in the SC-68/67, it's completely independent, meaning you can watch/listen to 1 source in the main room & a different source in the 2nd room at the same time.

but using one of the dual HDMI outs will certainly work to play the same thing in both rooms at same time.

good observation smile.gif

Steve
post #11 of 17 Old 01-31-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I've now got my stereo speakers hooked up to the Surround Back right and Surround Back Left which is for the Zone 2 speaker out put configuration. I have changed the speaker setup to use the Zone 2 speaker configuration which gives me 5.1 for the main room and is supposed to activate the SBL and SBR for the Zone 2 source. I have turned on Zone 2 and set the input source to use the TV source as a test. When I use the remote now, I have selected 'Reciever", then Zone 2 which now controls the Zone 2 volume but I'm getting no sound.

The Zone 2 isn't producing any sound and I don't have a clue why not. I'm just trying to get the Two stereo speakers to output, nothing fancy.

One more thing, now that I have used the remote to access and control Zone 2, how do I switch it back to access volume controls for the main room again?

Thanks.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-07-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

For those that were wondering about the Zone 2 config with digital sources (myself included) it can be done with the sc-1227-k (apparently the same as the sc-63). It's a weird pain in the butt config but it can be done without the external receiver. Here's how.

For Zone 2 config, I'm using the 5.1 setup + Zone 2 which means my Surround back speakers (7.2) now become the speakers for my Zone 2 setup. There is also an option to choose an external source for Zone 2 but I'm just using the Surround back speaker config.

Once you have setup your speaker config, you go to the Multi Zone and turn on Zone 2. (Zone 2 can play all the same outputs as the main zone with the exception of an HDMI out). I want Zone 2 to play internet radio which is from the Ethernet connection to the receiver.

Now, heres the trick I was missing. In order to play a second source to zone 2 which is different than you main zone you first have to set your main zone to use the output you want for Zone 2. So, go to your main zone and chose internet radio (for example, could be any digital input), choose the station you want. Once you have access to that in your main zone, you switch to control the Zone 2 and change the source to match the main zone. (input selection for zone 2) Once you chose the matching input as the main zone, you will here it in your Zone 2 output.

From there you can then change your main zone back to whatever it was before (tv, movie, etc.) and the Zone 2 will continue to play the internet radio chosen previously. I don't have an IPAD or android device to play with changing stations in Zone 2 once this is setup so I don't know how that will work but the front of the receiver tells me to use those devices for zone 2.

Here's the catch. You can't set the Zone 2 source without first setting it in the main zone and then choosing to match that in the zone 2 selector.

Zone 3 is the one that will not play the digital inputs like the main zone and zone 2 will.

Hope that helps someone else.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

To continue with the ongoing saga of setting up thesc-1227-k receiver, I thought I would share some of the things I've got going. So, far so good. After struggling with the connection issues, network issues, and media issues I'm finally getting the wrinkles out.

So here is how things stand.

- I have the receiver connected to my router through the Ethernet (not using the BT adapter for better range and features)
- I have a Linksys 4500 v2 router
- Windows 7 pc connected wirelessly to the router which manages the AVnavigation config software for the receiver
- Windows 8 Surface Pro tablet in which I installed the AV2012 iControl (android version) which is also wifi connected to the router.
- I have my zone 2 speakers setup as per the previous thread above. (2 speakers only at this point)

So, with that setup and using the iControl app I'm am able to control the receiver as I wanted to, I can not only access the internet radio options on the receiver (not Sirius or Pandora as I'm in Canada) and I can access the tuner, as well as play songs from the pc. (yeah!!) Very cool. And the gem to all of this, I no longer have to do the trick the pioneer support tech told me I needed to which as to set the main zone for the source I wanted to use on zone 2 before I could use the zone 2 source. In fact, through the iControler, I can just click on the Zone 2 button, hit the power button which turns on zone 2, and chose the media source I want as well as control the volume and sound config without messing with the Main zone. AWESOME!

So now I'm wondering if someone can help with a little more.

- I do have one error, well not really an error. The Surface tablet shows up on the iControler media server screen with the message "ComputerName: Music StreamingNotAuthorized" I don't know why that is showing up but the pc shows up fine. I'm guessing its a sharing issue?

- As it is now, the receiver gets powered off at night. The iControler can't turn on the main power through the wifi for some reason. Is there a method in which I can set the receiver to go into standby mode instead of a complete power off so I can access the receiver the next day without having to go to the room and powering it on with the remote?

- The zone 2 output is rated for 160W per channel, can I run more than just 2 speakers off the two outputs or is that advisable? (I would like to run 4)

- Zone 3 setup is net. It doesn't play the digital inputs of the main Zone or zone 2 unfortunately. So sad. There are RCA plugs for that output (which I still really don't understand why), so what do I need to get some quality sound setup for that? I have another older receiver that I could use with that if necessary.

Thanks!

btw, just on a side note. I tried Airfoil because I don't understand how the AirPlay is supposed to work. But the AirFoil app is pretty slick. It will stream any source to the main zone effortlessly. it was really easy to install and use.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #15 of 17 Old 10-21-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesiss View Post

- As it is now, the receiver gets powered off at night. The iControler can't turn on the main power through the wifi for some reason. Is there a method in which I can set the receiver to go into standby mode instead of a complete power off so I can access the receiver the next day without having to go to the room and powering it on with the remote?

More to share. I should have posted this a while ago. So I figured out this out at least, it's pretty straight forward. There is a setting in your receiver that sets Network to standby, even when the unit is powered off. That is what was needed, once I turned that on properly I can now have the receiver powered off but still using the iController I can turn on my Zone 2 speakers and access all the digital music content. I really like that, it works great.

Now, if I could just figure out how to get music streamed to my Zone 3 I would be all set. The whole analog thing is causing me issues, I don't know how to get around that to play music from a pc or internet to Zone 3.

Any ideas on that?

thanks.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-19-2013, 06:01 PM

I'm trying to figure out if a Pioneer SC-1227 will fit in my AV stand. I know the total depth is over 17", which is a bit deep but I may be okay depending on the placement of the feet.

Would someone mind measuring the distance from the front of the front feet to the back of the rear ones?

Thanks very much!

Crisp'N'Clean
post #17 of 17 Old 12-20-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm still looking for an answer to my question as to how I can get internet radio to output to a Zone 3? X-Mas is fast approaching and I would love to have my 3rd zone setup to play some kind of internet radio. Main zone, and Zone2 no problem. The 3rd zone I don't know how to approach this. Based on the manual I don't see how it can be done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I doubt very much I'm the only one who's setting up 3 zones.

Thanks.

Below is how they explain it in the manual.

Making MULTI-ZONE connections
It is possible to make these connections if you have a separate TV, subwoofer and speakers for your primary(ZONE 2) sub zone, and a separate amplifier (and speakers) for your secondary (ZONE 3) sub zone. You will also
need a separate amplifier if you are not using the speaker terminals for your primary sub zone (For detail, see
MULTI-ZONE setup using speaker terminals (ZONE 2)on page35).

There are two primary sub zone setups possible with this system. Choose whichever works best for you.

MULTI-ZONE listening options
The following table shows the signals that can be output to ZONE 2 and ZONE 3:
Sub Zone Input functions available
ZONE 2 DVD,SAT/CBL,DVR/BDR,VIDEO,INTERNET RADIO,SiriusXM,PANDORA,MEDIASERVER,FAVORITES,iPod/USB,TV,CD, TUNER,ADAPTER PORT
(Outputs analog audio, composite video.)

ZONE 3 DVD,SAT/CBL,DVR/BDR,VIDEO,TV,CD,TUNER,ADAPTER PORT
(Outputs analog audio)!It is not possible to down-convert the audio and video input signals from the HDMI input terminals, digital input terminals(OPTICAL and COAXIAL) and the COMPONENT VIDEO input terminals and output them to ZONE 2.!
It is not possible to down-convert the audio input signal from theHDMI input terminals or digital input terminals (OPTICALand
COAXIAL) and output them to ZONE 3.
!
When any of the INTERNET RADIO,SiriusXM,PANDORA,MEDIA SERVER,FAVORITES,iPod/USB or ADAPTER PORT
inputs is selected in the main zone, it is only possible to select the same input as in the main zone for the sub zone. (Inputs other than the ones listed here can be selected.)

Basic MULTI-ZONE setup (ZONE 2)
Connect a separate amplifier to the AUDIO ZONE 2 OUT jacks on this receiver.
You should have a pair of speakers attached to the sub zone amplifier as shown in the following illustration.
Connect a subwoofer to the SUBWOOFER ZONE 2 OUT jack on this receiver.
When a subwoofer is connected, we recommend setting
HPF (High Pass Filter)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page