Is it possible to convert a receiver with a dead HDMI board into a multichannel amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon AVR-2807 that started behaving strangely (at first it wouldn't output audio, then video, then wouldn't even switch inputs or change volume). I took it to my local shop, they upgraded the firmware, and that fixed it for about 30 seconds before it died again. Then they said the HDMI board is dead and if the replacement board was available it would cost about $400. It's clearly not worth that much, so I replaced it with another receiver. My question is, would it be possible to modify it to bypass all the control electronics and use it as just a 7-channel amp? It has a multichannel analog input, so perhaps that could somehow be wired straight to the amplifier section. I have a very rudimentary knowledge of circuits and extremely limited soldering skills...this could be a fun project, but it could also be a serious effort violation. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Processing of the EXT IN jacks bypasses the DSP circuitry, so you should be able to use the 2809 as an amp in its current configuration.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
why don't you just try it... it takes only one rca cable and one speaker to see if it works and takes all the guess work out of your question. IF you were have trouble selecting inputs with it, then it is likely the main control board was also in trouble especially if you couldn't readily select the tuner function. To use the "ext INPUT", you have to be able to select it so that function has to work.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
For the record, using Ext In for this purpose works perfectly well with my old 4802R. Just have to tell the AVR to use that mode, no tweaking or soldering is required.

post #5 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahae View Post

I have a Denon AVR-2807 that started behaving strangely (at first it wouldn't output audio, then video, then wouldn't even switch inputs or change volume). I took it to my local shop, they upgraded the firmware, and that fixed it for about 30 seconds before it died again. Then they said the HDMI board is dead and if the replacement board was available it would cost about $400. It's clearly not worth that much, so I replaced it with another receiver. My question is, would it be possible to modify it to bypass all the control electronics and use it as just a 7-channel amp? It has a multichannel analog input, so perhaps that could somehow be wired straight to the amplifier section. I have a very rudimentary knowledge of circuits and extremely limited soldering skills...this could be a fun project, but it could also be a serious effort violation. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

IME the HDMI functions of most AVRs are pretty much segregated onto one pr twp dedicated boards while other digital audio inputs come into the AVR via other circuits.

As others have mentioned the 2807 has external input connectors (analog) that allow using it pretty much like a multichannel amplifier.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page