YPAO Configuration advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an HTR-4065 hooked up to ProCinema 800 speakers. The room is 12x30, I think. I'm sitting about 10 feet away.

I watched the Matrix lobby scene and was unimpressed. The system has plenty of volume, but it feels like it's missing the mid range. Also, the surrounds barely output anything. I can hear low background music coming from them, but that's it.

I ran YPAO and it set my fronts to +5, rears to +3 and sub to -10. It also set my crossover to 160Hz. This didn't seem to improve things.

What should I check/change in my settings?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

I changed the crossover to 80Hz, but I didn't hear a huge difference. I also changed the sub to -5 and that improved things.

Any suggestions as to what to look at or how to improve my YPAO setup?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Did you read the instructions for the speakers? The satellites do no go very deep and the sub is only an 8" driver. YPAO is setting the crossover to 160 because that is all the mains can manage, by setting the crossover lower you are making it worse by asking the mains to output frequencys they cannot reproduce. Manual says around 100hz for mains and and a little lower for the center. You already have the gain on the sub set to high, YPAO is raising the mains level because it can only lower the sub to -10. Set the sub gain lower then re-run YPAO till the mains are at 0 or a little lower. Then you can adjust the sub level to your liking in the receiver. Also be sure to set the crossover on the sub to the highest point as indicated in the hook up instructions. I would not expect theater sound from the system but it should sound ok in a smallish room.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post

Did you read the instructions for the speakers? The satellites do no go very deep and the sub is only an 8" driver.

The speakers are rated 57 Hz - 30 kHz. Shouldn't they at least be able to hit 80 Hz?
Quote:

YPAO is setting the crossover to 160 because that is all the mains can manage, by setting the crossover lower you are making it worse by asking the mains to output frequencys they cannot reproduce. Manual says around 100hz for mains and and a little lower for the center.

What's weird is that the crossover in the sub is hard wired to 80 Hz and the manual recommends hooking the speakers up that way. However, it also says that the 800s should be set up using a 120 Hz crossover. The 100 Hz is only for the 1000s, which I don't have.
Quote:

You already have the gain on the sub set to high, YPAO is raising the mains level because it can only lower the sub to -10. Set the sub gain lower then re-run YPAO till the mains are at 0 or a little lower. Then you can adjust the sub level to your liking in the receiver. Also be sure to set the crossover on the sub to the highest point as indicated in the hook up instructions. I would not expect theater sound from the system but it should sound ok in a smallish room.

I set the sub at the half way point on the volume knob as it said in the YPAO guide. I'm surprised that it has such a drastic reaction to it. The cross over on the sub is turned all the way up. What do you mean by "Then you can adjust the sub level to your liking in the receiver."?

I thought the Pro Cinema 800s were supposed to be a good, matched system? They have plenty of volume IMO, but the mid-range is lacking. Also, there doesn't seem to be much coming out of the surrounds.

I'm still within my return window. Is there a better setup available for the same price? I'd prefer buying locally as then I can easily return them if I need to.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Set it up manually and see how it sounds.

Set the crossover in the AVR to 120hz. Run the test tone generator feature and adjust by ear if you have to or get a SPL app for iOS or Android. It's better than nothing.

After adjusting the speakers somewhat, set the sub output on the AVR to maybe -2db and play something bass heavy and adjust the gain on the sub to what seems right without overdriving it. You should be able to hear when it's too much.

Then watch a movie or listen to some music for a while and see how it sounds. If you don't like it or there's no improvement then run YPAO again or a few more times to see what you get.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page