post #1 of 1 Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
EVT
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi guys,

I decided to get a new AVR to replace my Onkyo 876 primarily to get up-to-date features (3D support, ARC, OSD with 24p, etc.). After comparing a Pio SC-65 and a Denon 3313 I ended up choosing the Denon 3313.

I'm very happy with it so far and the sound quality has been great. Now, I have the Denon in a relatively large 2,650 cubic foot room (20' L x 14' W x 9.5' H) and so far it looks like it has been able to capably drive all seven of my Polk speakers. I've tried playing back some movies for short periods of time at reference level (0 db) and it seems to hold up quite well, the only thing that has shut down on me in these tests is my Velodyne subwoofer.

However, in going from the beastly 51 lbs Onkyo 876 to a 26.5 lbs Denon I can't help but wonder if over time I will start to pick up any shortcomings.

So I have the following questions:

1) Would a Denon 4520 for an additional $850+tax provide considerably more power? It appears to weigh 10 lbs more but total power consumption only appears to be an additional 110w (780w vs 670w) compared to 9.5A (1045w) for the Onkyo.

2) I'm quite happy with the feature set of the 3313 (though XT32 would be nice) so if power is only going to go up by a maximum of about 100w over 7 channels I'm not interested. Does anyone have any information on the real world power output of the 4520 relative to the 3313?

3) Does anyone have a list of some challenging segments in movies to truly stress test the Denon 3313's ability to output the power needed at reference level?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page